Hydnophora Growth question

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Blue/Green Hybrid Hydnophora. I absolutely love these corals, ive previously had them in my tank and know its a flamethrower. My question is, what are people's experience with hydnophora growth form. I thought it was somewhat of a cactus coral in growth appearance. When I look at this frag it seems to be more encrusting than growing out and up. I'm concerned that the perfect spot I have picked out may be too dangerous if the coral is intent on encrusting. Thanks.

Mike

20230628_204601.jpg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently purchased a Blue/Green Hybrid Hydnophora. I absolutely love these corals, ive previously had them in my tank and know its a flamethrower. My question is, what are people's experience with hydnophora growth form. I thought it was somewhat of a cactus coral in growth appearance. When I look at this frag it seems to be more encrusting than growing out and up. I'm concerned that the perfect spot I have picked out may be too dangerous if the coral is intent on encrusting. Thanks.

Mike

20230628_204601.jpg
I have this one and the " cactus" you will grow to like it. It adds a texture that no other coral I've seen.

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this one and the " cactus" you will grow to like it. It adds a texture that no other coral I've seen.
I agree, I love it especially the blue/green morph super cool color. I'm just now rethinking where it goes. If it grows out and up I've got the perfect spot. If its going to encrust then it'll endanger 4 other corals on the other side of the rock. The problem I'm running into is that it loves light. I may have to experiment with it lower in the tank. Do you have pic's of yours?

apb03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love to see a pic. How much light do you give it?
Here's a photo I took of it a while back. It's grown quite a bit since. I will check the exact par tomorrow but I have it pretty low, maybe 4 inches from the bottom or so. It is quite happy. It's the Jason Fox limelight.

20230606_183912.jpg

Cichlid Dad

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, I love it especially the blue/green morph super cool color. I'm just now rethinking where it goes. If it grows out and up I've got the perfect spot. If its going to encrust then it'll endanger 4 other corals on the other side of the rock. The problem I'm running into is that it loves light. I may have to experiment with it lower in the tank. Do you have pic's of yours?
My lights are off in the main tank, here is a frag of both of mine second pick one in the back right. First is a branching
IMG_20230630_221243147.jpg
IMG_20230630_221101519.jpg

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a photo I took of it a while back. It's grown quite a bit since. I will check the exact par tomorrow but I have it pretty low, maybe 4 inches from the bottom or so. It is quite happy. It's the Jason Fox limelight.

20230606_183912.jpg
Cool, love the lime green. Of course its a fast grower it wants to eat my corals. LOL Glad to hear you have it lower in the tank, that gives me hope. I love these guys, I'm finding someplace for it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lights are off in the main tank, here is a frag of both of mine second pick one in the back right. First is a branching
IMG_20230630_221243147.jpg
IMG_20230630_221101519.jpg
Thanks, awesome corals. The first one is exactly what I had years ago. I thought this one was gonna be just a cool color morph. Ugh. Gotta love this hobby, and of course its a flamethrower.

ScottB

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, awesome corals. The first one is exactly what I had years ago. I thought this one was gonna be just a cool color morph. Ugh. Gotta love this hobby, and of course its a flamethrower.
I have a branching one and yes it kills anything nearby which is a bummer. On the bright side, it will survive in low light. I keep mine on the bottom. It just grows slower which isn't a bad thing as long as you are not trying to propagate it.

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a branching one and yes it kills anything nearby which is a bummer. On the bright side, it will survive in low light. I keep mine on the bottom. It just grows slower which isn't a bad thing as long as you are not trying to propagate it.
Awesome, thanks. I can handle keeping it isolated and low.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember growing a basketball sized branching green hydnophora and it was the heaviest skeleton of any coral I have grown by far, very odd coral and if you have space to keep it a long ways away from anything else it’s not bad. Once they sting something it’s a show though.

OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm. I have an unhealthy fascination with encrusting corals. This isn't an obstacle it's an opportunity for living art lol

Attachments

• 20230701_152824.jpg
    20230701_152824.jpg
    323.9 KB · Views: 31
  • 20230701_152841.jpg
    20230701_152841.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 30
OP
OP
Michael A Kurolvech

Michael A Kurolvech

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember growing a basketball sized branching green hydnophora and it was the heaviest skeleton of any coral I have grown by far, very odd coral and if you have space to keep it a long ways away from anything else it’s not bad. Once they sting something it’s a show though.
Interesting. I've secluded it as best I can. Seems to have decent color.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back