Hydra 52 verses Hydra 52 HD,..or T5??

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is time for a light upgrade and since SPS dominate is the goal I thought I would get the SPS guys thoughts, first a little history.

For the last 2.5-3 years I have ran a Hydra 52 (non-HD) over my 50 gallon cube with limited success keeping SPS. To say there is a learning curve with LED is an understatement! I have kept SPS under halide and T5 in the years past successfully but have really struggled with LED.

So on to my multipart question!

Should I upgrade my Hydra 52 to the new and improved Hydra 52 HD or should I take this opportunity and go to the more forgiving ATI T5 fixture?

I like the small pendant style of LED and I also have spent a lot of time learning the intricacies of LED but the T5 move is cheaper.

Is it crazy to spend $600 just for the HD upgrade, my current Hydra 52 works fine.

Thanks for the help!:)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
T5.
You know you want it.

Keep the old hydra and make a hybrid. I like the long day (and tube saving) Led provides. And the late evening blue.

Fudsey

Jack of all trades, Master of none ;-)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquatic Life hybrid with the 52s you already have. I have 2-26HD with the Hybrid and get plenty of par

Last edited:

apt220

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds like you already made the decision for yourself and I agree T5 is the way to go. In your original post you really didn't give any good reason for sticking with (pure) LED.

On a side note... I still haven't seen any data that backs up the claim that LEDs last as long as people say they do. I'm sure that they "put out light" for a long time, but in my experience they seem to degrade in spectrum and probably intensity.

Somebody with the right resources, hint hint BRS, should challenge the assumption that LEDs maintain their spectrum and PAR for many years. If/when that assumption is debunked, LEDs are really not worth the extra cost.

I read somewhere and I witnessed it myself that pure LED set-ups have been getting dissed a lot lately when it comes to SPS. I think it's for a good reason. LEDs been out long enough now that there is a lot of experience from users, with many of them coming to the same conclusion. I know that there are people who are successful with LEDs and SPS, and I don't doubt it, but sure do see a lot of posts of people who are unsuccessful with pure LED setups. Some of those people add T5s and things turn around.

Obviously lighting is just one piece of the puzzle.

I do think that LEDs are awesome as supplemental lighting. As said above, have you considered just adding some T5s to your current LED fixture?

OP
OP
Mark75

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As said above, have you considered just adding some T5s to your current LED fixture?

I do not have a top on my tank and worry about how T5 plus LED will look. The only thing I like about LED is the compact size. I also do not want to build off of a 3 year old fixture.

Other than intensity how is the Hydra HD improved over the original Hydra?

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here is the way that this goes with a lot of folks. There are some folks who might respond to this thread that went though this same thing...
  • LED only - happy and think that they rock. Then as more experience with acropora comes, look around at other tanks, and then...
  • Add T5s - cannot believe that they waited so long and are even more happy. Then, get to thinking that if the T5 is what took the tank to the next level, then...
  • Either...
    • 1). decide that they like what the LED part of the hybrid has to offer (dusk, dawn, thunderstorms, apps, etc.) and stop, or
    • 2). they go all T5s and get rid of the LED. Then get to wondering what MH can do...
  • Then some get MH... and some stay with their T5s
I am not a believer in "best of both worlds" in life or in this hobby. I go all-in with whatever I think is best, so I would get a 6 or 8 bulb T5 fixturea and sell the Hydras. However, the Aquatic Life Hybrid has rave reviews... and not about the fixture, about the results that adding T5s to the tank has brought.

Mattrg02

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I chose against the ATI t5 hybrid because it is a very expensive upgrade that doesn’t look very nice over my tank. I’m a minimalist type :) I chose to add a second hydra26hd. Second hydra26hd was much cheaper, and cleaner, than the ATI t5 hybrid monster.

As for HD vs non HD, you won’t be getting a huge increase in par between the two.

I don’t think you can get by with just one HD either on a 50g tank. You’re looking at two of them. If this were me, I think I’d consider going full t5 as two hydra52hd are probably a lot more than a nice t5 setup. Also, there isn’t any debate on t5 and success.

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep in mind you have to replace the bulls every 6-8 months realistically so you’ll be spending $$ on that... and more $ monthly for running the t5’s... the money you’re saving with T5’s creeps back up on you quick...

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Suggestions about changing T5s or MH at 6-8 months is a false-narrative by detractors of this type of lighting. 12 months has always been fine, but a recent BRS study has found that you can use T5 bulb for 24 months and be just as good - there is a 2-part series from them that is available on YouTube called "When do we REALLY need to change out T5 bulbs." The fact is more along the lines that you will buy T5 bulbs twice in the same time that most people use their $700 panels (about every four years).

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll be honest I haven’t read that thread- but will know. I used t5’s before my LEDs and after about 8 months I would almost always get algae outbreaks... I’ll change the bulbs and it’ll go away...

I guess it matters in fixture and bulbs obviously, I was using ATI and this older fixture so it’s possible it was draining more of the power than usual??

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2-52 HD’s 16” over my 50 gallon cube. I had 1 but that didn’t provide enough par throughout the entire water column. I think 2 - 26 HD’s would work great but I know ppl love the T5 hybrids.
61C671C4-00C5-43D6-BB4A-27A9E1D0ADAD.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 130 75.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 25 14.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.2%
Back