Hydrogen peroxide algae clearing risks?

vessxpress1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a few videos on youtube of people burning off nusance algae off of frag plugs using hydrogen peroxide so i decided to give it a shot. I didn't do it on all. Some didn't need it. Some did. For some I was able to just dip the plug without dipping the coral in it. But some of my zoas I just dropped into it including my favorite frag which is some huge blue palys with green skirts. The largest one wouldn't close up as I moved it to the dip. I dropped it in and left it in there for a while along with some others and some GSP. I'm pretty sure I burned it. They've been closed for days now. Bubbles still forming. Not totally blown away by the algae that was removed on some. Others the dip did well. Some acans still have it around them.

Wondering will my GSP come back? Did I ruin my zoas? I didn't dilute the solution at all. Things are pretty unhappy from doing this. The dip lasted only about a minute or two at the longest. Anybody have any experience? I should have checked here first about this.

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is your concentration of used H2O2?

Yes - I think that you have lose your corals - corals are living organisms like algae. Solution strong enough to kill (burn off) algae will do the same with corals.

Sincerely Lasse

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @brandon429 has a list of corals that don't do well with H202 as he has guided a lot of us through rip/cleans scrubbing rocks and using H202 to kill off the algae remnants

otherwise the above posts, IMO, are spot on

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.4%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.9%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back