Hydrogen peroxide dip

Lucafish101

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m new to this dip and I’m trying to treat brown jelly fish on my hammer coral and was wondering what the best thing to do was.
I’ve herd people sucking it off with a pipette or directly putting hydrogen peroxide on the jelly. Please help me I need to do this soon.

BighohoReef

A reefer in need is a friend indeed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are the steps I take when I dip with hydrogen peroxide.
  • Combine half a cup of tank water with half a cup of hydrogen peroxide (adjust accordingly to the size of your coral)
  • Leave it soaking for about 5 mins (same as Coral RX dip)
  • Close to the end of the dip use a pipette to blow off dead tissue, it's important that you remove all of the dead tissue/ brown jelly.
  • Use a clean cup of tank water and rinse the coral and rest it.
  • If you have a QT I would rest it in there... If that isn't option add the coral back into your tank on frag rack isolated from other corals.
  • Continue to monitor
As I said in the other thread, there is no guarantee this method will work and I've only had success once out of four treatments.

Reefer5640

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The best thing I’ve found for brown jelly is to cut off the heads that have it and separate from the colony. Get every bit of it out of the tank if you can. If you really want to save your hammer then dipping in antibiotics like Erythromycin in a separate container is what I’ve found To work best. You can get it at Petco/petsmart and I’ve seen it at a lot of lfs. I would also treat the rest of the healthy colony in a separate container the same way. If you don’t have a way to get antibiotics then lugols would be my next choice personally. I’ve found that peroxide is great for killing algae but never used it for brown jelly.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.9%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 28 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back