Hydros Control X3

JeffB418

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Declassified today:

Ph + Temp + (leak or water level or skimmer level or more!) monitoring of your tank, plus you can add on up to 8 hydros WiFi devices (WiFi strips, feeders, Alkatronic, mastertronic)

881C5667-310A-4D35-B5EA-92A8231DC109.png

Peace River

Thrive Master
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Jeff - thanks for sharing! I'm interested by this new simple option by Hydros - I really like the idea of adding a pH monitor at a price that is agreeable to me. I just added an XS to extend my water change automation, and will consider an X3 soon.

scolson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty interested in this device. I've made an investment in GHL but I also so see the GHL controller as a single point of failure in my system. Two Hydros X3 modules can accomplish much of what one GHL P4 can do at a comparable cost with controller redundancy.

I appreciate the functionality and reliability of the GHL system enough to accept the usability problems with their user interface.

I also appreciate the engineering behind the Hydros design, especially the redundancy and CAN bus connection between controllers. I also appreciate the significant cost savings on sensors between the two ecosystems. GHL float and optical switch prices are insanely insanely high, easily 2x the cost of the same sensor in the hydros ecosystem.

At first, the Hydros wireless outlet control was a no-go for me, but the more I've thought through it, the more comfortable I've become with potential failure points due to loss of WiFi connectivity. In all of the scenarios I've come up with, the WiFi power strip would remove power if something went wrong (e.g. temp too high), it would not generally turn items on or off. For me this could be a problem if it turned something on (e.g. a heater. ATO pump, etc.), and then lost WiFi and could not turn it off.

If you accept that the power bar is there to shut off power in case something goes wrong with the primary function controller (e.g. heater thermostat, Ink Bird controller, etc.) then the potential problem with loss of WiFi is acceptable in most situations.

There are a still a few gaps in the Hydros ecosystem around large flow measurement that are preventing me selecting Hydros over GHL as I build out my new system. I would love to see some Hydros flow sensors added in the near future that can handle measurement in the 300 - 1000 GPH range on a 3/4 to 1 inch pipe.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty interested in this device. I've made an investment in GHL but I also so see the GHL controller as a single point of failure in my system. Two Hydros X3 modules can accomplish much of what one GHL P4 can do at a comparable cost with controller redundancy.

I appreciate the functionality and reliability of the GHL system enough to accept the usability problems with their user interface.

I also appreciate the engineering behind the Hydros design, especially the redundancy and CAN bus connection between controllers. I also appreciate the significant cost savings on sensors between the two ecosystems. GHL float and optical switch prices are insanely insanely high, easily 2x the cost of the same sensor in the hydros ecosystem.

At first, the Hydros wireless outlet control was a no-go for me, but the more I've thought through it, the more comfortable I've become with potential failure points due to loss of WiFi connectivity. In all of the scenarios I've come up with, the WiFi power strip would remove power if something went wrong (e.g. temp too high), it would not generally turn items on or off. For me this could be a problem if it turned something on (e.g. a heater. ATO pump, etc.), and then lost WiFi and could not turn it off.

If you accept that the power bar is there to shut off power in case something goes wrong with the primary function controller (e.g. heater thermostat, Ink Bird controller, etc.) then the potential problem with loss of WiFi is acceptable in most situations.

There are a still a few gaps in the Hydros ecosystem around large flow measurement that are preventing me selecting Hydros over GHL as I build out my new system. I would love to see some Hydros flow sensors added in the near future that can handle measurement in the 300 - 1000 GPH range on a 3/4 to 1 inch pipe.
I use the drive ports for ATO, AWC and dosing. As far as heaters mine have their on thermostat so if the power stays on the thermostat in the heater will regulate it. I have two heater and each is powered on a separate strip. So far I have not lost wifi connection for more than a few seconds at a time. I did have one that drop quite often. I moved it and it has not dropped wifi since. Also if anything looses wifi you will get an alert that it has. You will also get an alert if the connection is restored. The only things that would have an issue with that are the ones I use the drive ports for. I have 6 drive ports in use but that requires 3 controllers that have drive ports. I currently have 8 controllers in a collective. I also control my RODI system with the Hydros. I believe you will really like it once you get one and start using it. I got a single control 4 starter kit to start with and added to that over time.

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been researching controllers and I’m leaning towards hydros. With the release of the x3 I’m considering these options:

1) get an X2 starter kit, X3 and a wavengine
2) get an x4 starter kit and a wavengine

I’m thinking 1 will be the best option due to the extra brain in the collective. Only real downside is I lose a ph/orp probe. Anyone have any thoughts?

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm also looking for a controller. I had pretty much written off Hydros but this X3 does seem interesting. Had it been $50 cheaper then I'd have probably jumped at it, however, at $300 it's not that far off the cost of a GHL Mini Wifi (particularly if there is another GHL sale in the future - albeit they do have different capabilities).

As for the Control 2/X3 or Control 4 decision, the other thing you miss out on by not having the Control 4 is the 1-10v Options. The 1-10v out is of no use to me but the 1-10v in, with a breakout box, could be. I have no interest in a ORP Probe so a single PH Probe would be fine. Cost looks to be about the same for those 2 options, once you add the cables and PH probe to the Control 2/X3 combo, so the second 'brain' would have advantages. You could also add a second power supply for even more redundancy.

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@FishyFishFish I would eventually get the 1-10v ports on the wavengine once I added it in to the collective. I have a varios 4 pump I would run off the wave engine and I’m planning on picking up the octopulse 2 pumps too also run on the wavengine.

the x3 is $189 as a controller only.

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I think they are actually working on the larger flow sensors. No release date yet

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
@FishyFishFish I would eventually get the 1-10v ports on the wavengine once I added it in to the collective. I have a varios 4 pump I would run off the wave engine and I’m planning on picking up the octopulse 2 pumps too also run on the wavengine.

the x3 is $189 as a controller only.

Good point about the Wave Engine 1-10v in/out if that will be able to be used as a controller input/output.

$199 for the Control 2
$189 for the X3 Controller
$40ish for the PH probe
$10 for the Command Bus cable

Which is $10 short of the cost of the Control 4

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry just stumbled upon this thread. The benefit two of you have mentioned of having an "extra brain". Can you explain this? I assume if one controller goes down, the other will maintain a wifi connection and app functionality?

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

jhuntstl

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All inputs and outputs would continue to function on the additional controller

this explains it better: https://www.coralvuehydros.com/prod...ntrol/hydros-collective-101/#whatiscollective
If you loose a control unit any inputs or outputs on that unit would not be accessible, but the ones on the other units will continue to work and another control unit would be able to control the wifi devices. You would also be alerted that there was an issue with that control unit. You just would not loose the whole system if one goes down.

Sawyer Breslow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you loose a control unit any inputs or outputs on that unit would not be accessible, but the ones on the other units will continue to work and another control unit would be able to control the wifi devices. You would also be alerted that there was an issue with that control unit. You just would not loose the whole system if one goes down.
Thanks for the correction! I don’t want to spread misinformation.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also looking for a controller. I had pretty much written off Hydros but this X3 does seem interesting. Had it been $50 cheaper then I'd have probably jumped at it, however, at $300 it's not that far off the cost of a GHL Mini Wifi (particularly if there is another GHL sale in the future - albeit they do have different capabilities).

As for the Control 2/X3 or Control 4 decision, the other thing you miss out on by not having the Control 4 is the 1-10v Options. The 1-10v out is of no use to me but the 1-10v in, with a breakout box, could be. I have no interest in a ORP Probe so a single PH Probe would be fine. Cost looks to be about the same for those 2 options, once you add the cables and PH probe to the Control 2/X3 combo, so the second 'brain' would have advantages. You could also add a second power supply for even more redundancy.
The power packs cannot be used together. If you want to use two of them they have to be separated with a data only buss cable. So if you use the wave engine you cannot use a power pack also. I believe you can use two wave engines. I think this will also apply to any of the controller devices that have power built in. It has to do with the power pack itself. So if you use a power pack make sure it is isolated with data only buss cables from any other buss power source. Also don't forget about the terminator. You have to have at least one for a collective to communicate on the buss. Best to use 2 of them, one on each end. Especially if there is a long cable in the link. Any cable longer than 15 feet needs to be a data only cable. The buss for the Hydros is a CAN buss system like what is used on automobiles.

n2585722

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know when the X3 is going to be available?
I think is going to be dependent on availability the parts needed to build enough for the release. I think they talked about it on one of the ReefDudes videos on youtube.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 21 30.4%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 56 81.2%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.1%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back