Hydros WaveEngine Collaborating Gyres

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I have a Maxspect Gyre on each end of my 4x2x2 Mixed-Reef 120g tank. They are controlled by the Hydros WaveEngine.

Is there a way to sync them up and have an alternating gyre or collaborate? I figured it'd be a no-brainer but I cannot figure it out.

Right now, I have them facing each other with random flow patterns, but it seems like it's causing chaos in the middle of the tank and very little flow everywhere else.

I'm considering chucking one of these into my sump, buying an MP40, and calling it a day.

Would love to hear thoughts on how you'd proceed.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set the gyres to the gyre pattern and put one on the "opposite" wall inside of the hydros app. This should do what you want perfectly.

120reefkeeper

Reef keeping with Military Precision!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys!

I have a Maxspect Gyre on each end of my 4x2x2 Mixed-Reef 120g tank. They are controlled by the Hydros WaveEngine.

Is there a way to sync them up and have an alternating gyre or collaborate? I figured it'd be a no-brainer but I cannot figure it out.

Right now, I have them facing each other with random flow patterns, but it seems like it's causing chaos in the middle of the tank and very little flow everywhere else.

I'm considering chucking one of these into my sump, buying an MP40, and calling it a day.

Would love to hear thoughts on how you'd proceed.
I’d live to help but need more info. Can you post screen shots of all of your settings? :)

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Set the gyres to the gyre pattern and put one on the "opposite" wall inside of the hydros app. This should do what you want perfectly.
And Hydros will reduce one of the %'s and increase the other simultaneously? Gonna go give it a whirl... Thanks!

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing something wrong....

I have both Pumps set to Group One, Gyre Mode, Full Speed Range, and one is on ‘Same End’ and the other on ‘Opposite End’

The Daytime Preset is set at Gyre, Power range from 70% - 100%. 1 minute cycle

Results:

1 pump will go from 33% to 39% and then back down to 33%, and then the other takes it’s turn....

EDIT: Fixed it! I had the present to be controlled via Input 1 which was neutering it...

How long of a cycle do you all recommend? I just changed it to 1 hour

Last edited:

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I must be doing something wrong....

I have both Pumps set to Group One, Gyre Mode, Full Speed Range, and one is on ‘Same End’ and the other on ‘Opposite End’

The Daytime Preset is set at Gyre, Power range from 70% - 100%. 1 minute cycle

Results:

1 pump will go from 33% to 39% and then back down to 33%, and then the other takes it’s turn....

EDIT: Fixed it! I had the present to be controlled via Input 1 which was neutering it...

How long of a cycle do you all recommend? I just changed it to 1 hour
Nice, can you explain more of what you mean with your fix? Not sure what the problem was. I have my gyres set to 1 hr as well but i'm not sure its optimal.

OP
OP
Stevorino

Stevorino

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice, can you explain more of what you mean with your fix? Not sure what the problem was. I have my gyres set to 1 hr as well but i'm not sure its optimal.

Sure!

For Presets, one of the options is 'Control Input' - I had mine set at Input 1. I think this option is for letting an external controller, like Apex, get involved.

I had it set to 'Input 1', instead of 'None'. My assumption is that the preset was waiting for direction from an external controller and just doing minimum as a default. Once I put it to None, it started behaving as I'd think.

I'd love to hear what you have the strength of your pumps set at.... mine seems to be sometimes causing a flurry of bubbles on one side (that get spread throughout the tank) and I keep dialing down the maximum hoping I'll still get plenty of flow without the vortex.

Poochaku

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sure!

For Presets, one of the options is 'Control Input' - I had mine set at Input 1. I think this option is for letting an external controller, like Apex, get involved.

I had it set to 'Input 1', instead of 'None'. My assumption is that the preset was waiting for direction from an external controller and just doing minimum as a default. Once I put it to None, it started behaving as I'd think.

I'd love to hear what you have the strength of your pumps set at.... mine seems to be sometimes causing a flurry of bubbles on one side (that get spread throughout the tank) and I keep dialing down the maximum hoping I'll still get plenty of flow without the vortex.
Ah I see what you mean. I think your interpretation is correct as well.

If you're getting bubbles, is lowering the pump height an option? You can try using the flow directors as well if you aren't already. I am personally running my gyres at max now but it's probably unecessary as I just have frags

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%

Back