Hydros- what accessories needed?

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking to set up on my tank and had a few questions, not really sure what to buy. Things Im looking for it to do:
stop return, skimmer and 2- octo pulse when feeding
do I need a wave engine or can the powerheads plug into a #4 and have it control the pumps?

Thanks

Last edited:

ajl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With a Control4 or Control 2 and a Hydros wifi strip you can turn them off with the plugs. The Control4 doesn't have the power to directly drive those pumps like a WaveEngine may be able to.

shred5

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Really going to depend on the skimmer pump and return pump are. Do not know if the WE can support them without knowing what they are.
If they are ones supported by the Wave Engine you will only need the WE because it does support OctoPulse directly.

A Control 2 and 4 do not control Octopulse directly but they can through 0-10v through the Octopulse controller.
The C2 and C4 can also however turn most pumps on and off through a plug strip also. You would have no control other than on and off through a plug strip.

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have gyre 350 (2) and RO return pump all on my wave engine and the boys skimmer and I’ve and lights and heater on my control 4 with their ato and skimmer sensor less cables and love the flexibility

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I mainly went with the wave engine for pumps just to have less cables everywhere

Attachments

• E79529E2-EC09-48AD-967F-D213850E9D32.jpeg
    E79529E2-EC09-48AD-967F-D213850E9D32.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 41

Simon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Sorry for all the post if you just want it to turn off during feeding I will would probably go for the control 4

OP
OP
G

Gwcreefer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks for the input. I would like to use the powerheads with a controller rather then let them run each on their own. Looks like Id need the wave engine to do that...

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the control 4, I have my return pump,skimmer, gyres on the WiFi strip set up to go off when in water charge or feed mode.. the cool thing is when I turn them back on with a push of a button on the app I have my gyres delayed for 30 seconds to go back on and my skimmer delayed 1 minute delayed to go back on

[Cameron]

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Hydros head (2 or 4) unit can switch on/off pumps for a feed mode. The Wavemaker is built to control DC pumps (not AC pumps) since it can directly control how much DC current is going to a pump that is plugged into it. That means a wavemaker can also control feed mode of DC pumps (but not AC pumps). Basically if your pump has a power brick it is very likely a DC pump. The Wavemaker is not necessary unless you want fine control beyond on/off.

Another pro/con is the Wavemaker effectively eliminates DC power bricks and DC controllers. The pro here is that it declutters an installation by removing a lot of control boxes and power bricks. The disadvantage in my opinion is you now have another single source or failure added into the system. If the Wavemaker goes out, it will take everything plugged into it with it.

To increase redundancy, some run two 120v 15A GFCI/AFCI outlets and two power bars to their tank. One flow pump and return off one power bar and another flow pump and and return off the other.

Last edited:
Back