Hypo vs copper

maxwell50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,

I tried to quarantine copperband butterfly with hypo-salinity but he didn’t make it. He developed red pack and from the research I did it seemed like it could been bacteria infection of some kind. I did add some meds to bacteria I can’t recall the name and I also say him scratching against things so I dropped salinity from about 1.023 to 1.013. He been in QT for couple days and been eating just fine. I was told by LFS that CBB was fine with hypo. My question is what’s better hypo or copper for CBB for quarantine purposes. I had him in 10g hospital tank that was cycled with HOB sponge filter and small filter for water movement

Thanks

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo is fine as long as you maintain a hypo state for the entire period. It can be tough though with evaporation and water changes.
I personally prefer 14 days of copper power at 1.75ppm then transfer to a sterile tank. Did you ever do a FW dip to check for flukes?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem with hypo is the prevalence of velvet today. It will not fully erradicate velvet. Copper power using a Hanna checker is pretty simple if you know your exact water volume and dose with a syringe.

CBBs are very succeptable to bacterial infections and I highly recommend keeping NFG on hand if you have a CBB in QT.

OP
OP
maxwell50

maxwell50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hypo is fine as long as you maintain a hypo state for the entire period. It can be tough though with evaporation and water changes.
I personally prefer 14 days of copper power at 1.75ppm then transfer to a sterile tank. Did you ever do a FW dip to check for flukes?

No I didn’t I had bad experience with fish after fresh water dip. How do you do fresh water dip? I took a bucket of water added air store and kept fish in there for 5 min than back to tank and they didn’t make it

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can take a lot if the danger of a fw dip away with some simple tools.

A heater
A digital thermometer
A ph meter calibrated to 3 points
And a ph buffer. This can be as simple as creating a saturated baking soda solution and adding via one of those narrow testing syringes.

Test the ph and temperature of the source water and then match the dip water to this.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 43 17.7%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.7%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back