I’m a total failure — can’t grow coralline algae to save my life!

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand, are you upset that you can't get coralline to grow on your glass so that you can scrape it off?

My current tank is 5 years old. About a year ago the coralline growth on the glass started to slow way down. I don't know if that's because there's a particular bacteria that has started to out compete it, or if the strains that I have in my tank have depleted an element that once made it grow. All I know is that I'm glad that I don't have to scrape it off every week.

My corals are healthy and growing and that's all that matters.
Hello again - I would like to say thanks for your post on the eb832 fix. Mine is still working like a champ!

(apologies for the digression on this thread but I recognize your handle from another thread. When I looked at the (now working) eb832 I think about @Sisterlimonpot - lol)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My main tank is 2.5yo with SPS dominated. Acros are growing like weeds but my back wall and sides are full of nuisance algae but not coralline. Rocks are all purple but can’t seem to grow coralline on the sides.

Any suggestions? No, I’m not planning to purchase “Purple Up”! lol
Adding rock with coralline is actually the easiest way to introduce coralline opposed to the magic liquids which rarely work. The key to growth will be maintaining stable conditions for it. The three essentials are Temperature of 78-79, steady PH of 8.2-8.4 and Moderate lighting

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are growing coralline elsewhere, then keep the glass clean with a razor blade and it will grow on there too. Coralline cannot grow on surfaces with much, if any, other things on it, so even magnet scrapers and stuff appear to leave too much. Once the coralline gets on the glass, it spreads pretty easily, IME.
That's what I've been doing for the last 2+ years and sick of it. I go thru with a razor blade every month and scrape the nasty crap out. Sadly, the nuisance algae got first dibs on the glass so coralline doesn't stand a chance.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget corraline. Put some gsp xenia encrusting monti cyphastrea or something like that on there. Will just grow right over algae
lol - thought about that. I have branching GSPs on my other tank that will totally encrust. However, I'm afraid any GSP/monti in this tank -- they might spread to other hard to reach areas.

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's not the magnesium - I ignore that value. Mine is high 1400+ -- the Trident is off due to low reagent.
Got it, I saw the 1267 on the Trident.
My tank was full of coraline on the rocks and the back wall and now it is only on the back wall... I'm not sure why it died off on the rocks.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding rock with coralline is actually the easiest way to introduce coralline opposed to the magic liquids which rarely work. The key to growth will be maintaining stable conditions for it. The three essentials are Temperature of 78-79, steady PH of 8.2-8.4 and Moderate lighting
The tank's params are very stable actually and acros are growing like mad. However, I suspect "Moderate lighting" is where I'm in trouble -- I'm running an 16hr lighting schedule (6am - 10pm, ramping up with peak of 80% for 4 hours). Two Radions XR30 G6 @ 80% might be the issue?

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it, I saw the 1267 on the Trident.
My tank was full of coraline on the rocks and the back wall and now it is only on the back wall... I'm not sure why it died off on the rocks.
I run a CaRx and do supplement with Mg manually. I just look at Alk tbh. Even my Ca is off -- I've tested with Hanna a month ago and it was 450 yet the Trident is saying 500+. I'll recalibrate on the next reagent replacement.

btw: where about are you in SoCal?

ryshark

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run a CaRx and do supplement with Mg manually. I just look at Alk tbh. Even my Ca is off -- I've tested with Hanna a month ago and it was 450 yet the Trident is saying 500+. I'll recalibrate on the next reagent replacement.

btw: where about are you in SoCal?
Anaheim Hills
I just saw that you're in Newport Beach.
I was lucky and got to live on balboa peninsula at 21 and 22 years old. Good times

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank's params are very stable actually and acros are growing like mad. However, I suspect "Moderate lighting" is where I'm in trouble -- I'm running an 16hr lighting schedule (6am - 10pm, ramping up with peak of 80% for 4 hours). Two Radions XR30 G6 @ 80% might be the issue?
@vetteguy53081 good suggestion - I'm going to reduce my lighting period to 12hrs and possibly crank down the Radion's intensity to 65% to see if this helps.

mangolove

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Both the sides are blasted with MP40s running Reef Crest mode at 90% max though. It's a SPS tank and I have 5 wavemakers...
In my 1st tank i only had cheap pumps that only could be turned on and off. I got coraline algea on the windows and i only dosed kh, mg and calcium and used allot of different water from stores. Window cleaning was not my favorite thing to but it did grow on there. Idk but my thinking is that by dosing Kh, mg and ca in the main display instead of the sump some of it sticks to crevasis in the glass of the tank. Sometimes I even see coraline algea growing in peoples sump.. I wonder if this has anything to do with that?

Edit: thinking about it i was also using T5 instead of led..

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 1st tank i only had cheap pumps that only could be turned on and off. I got coraline algea on the windows and i only dosed kh, mg and calcium and used allot of different water from stores. Window cleaning was not my favorite thing to but it did grow on there. Idk but my thinking is that by dosing Kh, mg and ca in the main display instead of the sump some of it sticks to crevasis in the glass of the tank. Sometimes I even see coraline algea growing in peoples sump.. I wonder if this has anything to do with that?

Edit: thinking about it i was also using T5 instead of led..
I dose using a CaRx into the sump area, specifically near the skimmer's intake for CO2 de-gassing. I do hear you on dosing alk though. On my other tank, the top part of the MP40 had a lot of coralline growth since I dose directly on top of the wavemaker for dispersion/mixing.

SPS2020

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My main tank is 2.5yo with SPS dominated. Acros are growing like weeds but my back wall and sides are full of nuisance algae but not coralline. Rocks are all purple but can’t seem to grow coralline on the sides.

Any suggestions? No, I’m not planning to purchase “Purple Up”! lol

LUCKY YOU! ;) OMG, it is such a pain to keep off the glass and acrylic for me.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LUCKY YOU! ;) OMG, it is such a pain to keep off the glass and acrylic for me.
This world ain't fair - lol I rather have your problem with purple algae vs the green/brown algae tho

I'm going to try a few things - was getting annoyed with cleaning the glass every month.

OP
OP
bakbay

bakbay

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Raise your mag up around 1350-1400
Thanks -- my Trident has a bad reading since the reagent is low. It was 1425 when I last verified last month. It will correct itself when I re-calibrate. My Alk is inline with Hanna but Ca & Mg are way off, reading wise. I'll swap out later this week.

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't understand, are you upset that you can't get coralline to grow on your glass so that you can scrape it off?
ha ha, stole my post ….those specks appearing daily can drive you mad….
regurgitating @jda post, basically coralline doesn’t really compete well under certain conditions but conversely, when its going, it stops other garbage algaes from taking a foothold….
Also be advised
…also there is a green coralline I think, I used to think it was just the pink stuff, but its not…not 100% certain what it is …
There is also another dark green hard algae that shows up when conditions are pristine…i often see it in conjunction with coralline on the glass…. hopefully someone more versed will clean this up…i never cared that much, just something I’ve noticed

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 36

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back