I’m getting hate for this

AN0N41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i Have a single maroon clownfish in a 20g high. Two people told me it’s too small, but only two. Were They right? Should I upgrade? will my fish die if I don’t? I want the best life For my maroon so I’ll do it if I have to

4BB77451-090E-4A6F-B3E5-923841207F17.jpeg

Anemone_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It should be ok. It isn't ideal (larger clownfish generally do better in a 30g), but your maroon could still do well if you have good strong filtration and a reliable nutrient export system. Just keep in mind that it will rule that 20g with an iron fin, and I wouldn't add any other fish.

Reefer Matt

Blue Collar Reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clown will be fine in that size tank for a while. Some people feel that their way is the only way. If a fish ever outgrows a tank, you can decide what to do when that day comes. In the meantime, try to enjoy your hobby. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any algae so I would be more concerned for the urchins health. Clowns don't really need a lot of swim room but as stated maroons are one of the larger more aggressive species so tank mates will be limited. I had a pair for 3+ years or so and the female was maybe 4 inches. It was a 6ft tank so she wasn't stunted.

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, eventually it could use a new home, but youve got time trust me. Maroons arent the fastest growers by any means and itl take that clown probably 3 years to reach 6 inches. In the mean time, enjoy your critter and dont add anything else, if you do, youll find out why we said not to LOL.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just don't add anything else and you will be ok for a while......they need space more due to their aggression than anything else.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it’s alone and not a big female, then it is fine. :)

areefer01

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
QT, TTM, isolation, or observation it is fine. Big picture and long term display then it would be the wrong fish choice. They are not wrasses or tangs or anthias or other fish that use all of the real-estate but they do get sizeable when 'healthy' and feed quality food. How quick, well, that is obviously debatable.

So leaving all this aside and your question it really comes down to some common sense:

• Display should be looked at as a long term commitment. Fish and corals live a long time when properly cared for
  • Display 'dry' volume does not equal wet volume. You have to factor in rock, substrate, corals, and any equipment then you have water volume
  • When you factor in volume from above corals and fish grow over time - you now have less water (see the pattern?)
  • If you are considering an anemone then there is more space to consider esp if it is say a BTA that could split. Start with one, end up with ten
  • What other fish are going to be added

No one should pass hate but they should provide you a reason or two why they provided the answer. Myself I go through the questions above and go from there.

OP
OP
AN0N41

AN0N41

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't see any algae so I would be more concerned for the urchins health. Clowns don't really need a lot of swim room but as stated maroons are one of the larger more aggressive species so tank mates will be limited. I had a pair for 3+ years or so and the female was maybe 4 inches. It was a 6ft tank so she wasn't stunted.
Don’t worry, that urchin is spoiled as hell. Spent $30 on macroalgae and I supplement with algae wafers as well

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know who is worse Tang or Clown police.
There is a clown police?! I've been on the Tang police most wanted list for years...

To the OP, it can work for now, but it's gonna be a pig and a angry one at that. Be prepared to upgrade in a bit or rehome it eventually. I love maroons, btw.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To the OP are you planning on trying to pair her with a male? It can be tough but I have done it a few times successfully. Maroons have also been one of the quickest to host in an anemone out of all the clowns I have had if your thinking of adding one later.

Last edited:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.1%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back