I am done with the Trident

Mike1970

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calling it quits with Trident. I found it so much easier to dose by hand. I switched to the Trident and use it to control the DOS. For the past 6 months all I get are alarms that Alk or Ca is out of range. My Mg is even rising. I don't dose Mg and haven't done a WC in 4 weeks. This thing is a huge point of sale. What a waste of money. This contraption is making me loose my mind. I got it to help automate things because I work 2 full time jobs in the summer, but all I do is work on fixing the automation. Dosing by hand is simple and testing once a week is easy and reliable. Why did I ever buy into the whole automation BS. The Apex itself is rock solid. It does everything I need and makes my life so much easier. Time to go back to dosing by hand. Sorry but I had to vent.
I had the same problems with it, a waste of money to me but it works well for some people i don’t know what they did different than what I did

robbyg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems like a lot of headache for a lot of money and time spent to me.
Not really, at this point I cannot see myself ever going back to manually testing ALK and CA.

I have cleaned the cuvette, I have used the cone shaped tube holders and none of that made a difference. What did help with Ca was not calibrating the unit for the first 2-4 days after changing the reagents. Exactly why it helps is a mystery to me.

I have theory that there is some chemical change in the B&C reagents that rapidly happens in the first couple of days after they are exposed to air and then the change seems to slows down until it eventually it drifts out enough again to become noticeable at the 30-40 day mark. I suspect some chemical in the reagent is evaporating off.

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I calling it quits with Trident. I found it so much easier to dose by hand. I switched to the Trident and use it to control the DOS. For the past 6 months all I get are alarms that Alk or Ca is out of range. My Mg is even rising. I don't dose Mg and haven't done a WC in 4 weeks. This thing is a huge point of sale. What a waste of money. This contraption is making me loose my mind. I got it to help automate things because I work 2 full time jobs in the summer, but all I do is work on fixing the automation. Dosing by hand is simple and testing once a week is easy and reliable. Why did I ever buy into the whole automation BS. The Apex itself is rock solid. It does everything I need and makes my life so much easier. Time to go back to dosing by hand. Sorry but I had to vent.
This is exactly why I didn’t get it, albeit initially I wanted one for automation

Ive got 2 Apex systems, it’s very handy but I just find the more you try to do, with modules and sensors etc., the more you have to monitor those sensors for failure, and they do fail, or give false alarms etc. I set my new system up with optical sensors and all sorts, but as they fail it’s only critical ones that will be replaced.

Im not knocking anyone who wants to use Trident, I can see the appeal, but it takes me 10-15 minutes once a week to test both my systems, done. No maintenance, no failures. And I use a Kamoer doser on the smaller system which is easy to use, is controlled by me, and has been faultless.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know there are a lot of opinions in this thread, but I have had absolutely 0 issues with mine keeping accurate numbers in over a year....has not been calibrated once since it was initially set up. I manually test every once in a while if a number swings, and it is always spot on.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 17 36.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 13 27.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 9 19.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 8 17.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back