I bought a saltwater catfish

Canadian john

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went to the local fish store and seen an amazing catfish for salt water it's called a coral catfish he's about 2 inches they said he's peaceful but is venomous I have a 80 gallon tank with clown fish live rock foxface a coral beauty and a blenny and a shrimp and a clean up crew I started researching him and I have learned now he doesn't seem as nice as the pet store made him out to be. Will he eat my fish? Should I take him back or will he be fine? And they said he will be perfect for an 80 gallon tank but I think he will get big? Anyone know anything about these fish? I googled him and found nothing seems like no one has them in an aquarium maybe I'm the only dumb guy who would buy him. Thanks for your guys help. I really appreciate it

GK3

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I went to the local fish store and seen an amazing catfish for salt water it's called a coral catfish he's about 2 inches they said he's peaceful but is venomous I have a 80 gallon tank with clown fish live rock foxface a coral beauty and a blenny and a shrimp and a clean up crew I started researching him and I have learned now he doesn't seem as nice as the pet store made him out to be. Will he eat my fish? Should I take him back or will he be fine? And they said he will be perfect for an 80 gallon tank but I think he will get big? Anyone know anything about these fish? I googled him and found nothing seems like no one has them in an aquarium maybe I'm the only dumb guy who would buy him. Thanks for your guys help. I really appreciate it

Pic?

Elliott Comans

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They go better in schools. Technically a balling fish.
They grow large and always eat. Should be fine as long as others get food. Mine were so piggy they either ate all the food and I had to feed heaps extra or they just went skinny. I gave my school to a mate with bigger tank which could handle the bioload.

OP
OP
C

Canadian john

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pic and scientific name?

Coral-Catfish-Plotosus-lineatus-stk.jpg

OP
OP
C

Canadian john

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's him thanks for the reply everyone. I feel better now I made a few mistakes with my salt water tank biggest one was a giant hermit crab that ate every snail my sea urchin until I removed him and got him his own tank he's a massive guy I've always done freshwater tanks. But saltwater is just so amazing

Lasse

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used to see them mixed up at LFS with engineer gobies some people got a big surprise lol
This is a type of mimicry that youngsters of engineer goby use in order to avoid predation. The pattern of the catfish gives the signals of toxicity and the offspring of the engineer goby indicate that they are toxic too - however - they are not.

Sincerely Lasse

Troy McMorris

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 64 36.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.9%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back