I bought used build. 650 penninsula help

basicreef88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is my first large tank.
Previously owned a 30gallon AIO and I was not satisfied.

I bought this tank 1 month ago. This entire setup is a used build minus the ATO /icecap skimmer/hygger return pump and hygger heater/ a titanium heater from this site.. I wanted those new. The tank was "cycled" by using 10% water and sand and live rock from a fellow reefer in my area. The tank went through a mini cycle but I let it sit for a week with turbo start and live sand before adding the rest.

1600mg
11dkh
480calc
Chaeto in the sump with a traditional red and white grow light.

1x dottyback
1x 7 line wrasse
1x clarkii clown
2x snow clown
1 x yellow tang
1x powder brown tang
1x cleaner shrimp
1x bottom feeder dude
1x rock living fish dude
1x tiny weird cowfish
4x conch
3x giant snails
3 or 4 turbo snails

Dragons soul favia
Mummy eye chalice
Duncan
Jungle juice zoa
Utter chaos zoa
And numerous others

I run 2x 160 redsea lights in middle. As as well as redsea 90s max to 60% on the ends. The 160s are dialed in to 100% for about 20minutes at noon im only adding this because I saw previous posts of what people run their lights at and my mixed reef tank tolerates this very well. Some huge growth in zoas and duncans.

After all this work in the attached photo you can see the seam on the build. The tank is 4 years old from manufacturer. How worried would you be about this and what is the best fix without buying a whole new tank. Or should I worry at all?

20221213_114037.jpg Resized_20221220_183600.jpeg 20221220_113647.jpg 20221219_175519.jpg 20221221_172634.jpg

nuxx

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure...

We had ours on a hard foam sheet to help with the weight and not cause stress points.

If it's been running for 4 years and nothing is weird with the stand / how it sits I'd guess you'd be ok, just watch it like a hawk. But hey some people worry about little bubbles.

OP
OP
B

basicreef88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure...

We had ours on a hard foam sheet to help with the weight and not cause stress points.

If it's been running for 4 years and nothing is weird with the stand / how it sits I'd guess you'd be ok, just watch it like a hawk. But hey some people worry about little bubbles.
This tank is solid. From when I've got it to now in this post. That little bubble in the seam has not changed at all.

OP
OP
B

basicreef88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not really sure...

This tank is solid. From when I've got it to now in this post. That little bubble in the seam
Like what you have done so far. Following the forum.
I forgot to add that I am running 4k icecap used wave makers lol as well as brs reactor used. I saved around 4k doing a used build and being picky about what products I use and kinda getting lucky with some things like the lights.

FSP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After all this work in the attached photo you can see the seam on the build. The tank is 4 years old from manufacturer. How worried would you be about this and what is the best fix without buying a whole new tank. Or should I worry at all?
I can't really make anything from the picture, so the following is just generic glass aquarium stuff. There is no "best fix without buying a whole new tank" unless you have the skills to rebuild the tank yourself. Even then, it's a huge time sink you feel every hour of in your arms and fingers. Compromised seams are not something that can be quickly patched and expected to hold.

OP
OP
B

basicreef88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't really make anything from the picture, so the following is just generic glass aquarium stuff. There is no "best fix without buying a whole new tank" unless you have the skills to rebuild the tank yourself. Even then, it's a huge time sink you feel every hour of in your arms and fingers. Compromised seams are not something that can be quickly patched and expected to hold.

Well if you can't see anything in the pic then I might be ok. It's just a tiny bit of separation in the seam I think? I was thinking next to worst case scenario before buying a new tank is emptying the water and just filling it with heavy duty silicon and just going over the old with the new but make sure the new is over more of the glass to adhere.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a RS 650P do the same on the bottom seam RS replaced it.
are you using the center support? if not get it.
also the new 650P come with an metal L bracket to help support the weight for the glass might be something you can add.

I wonder if RS replaced the tank and the owner sold you this used one? there not supposed to do that BTW

anyway just keep an eye on it. and have a plan in place. might want to get a stock tank to have on hand just in case you have place to keep the fish and rock.

OP
OP
B

basicreef88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a RS 650P do the same on the bottom seam RS replaced it.
are you using the center support? if not get it.
also the new 650P come with an metal L bracket to help support the weight for the glass might be something you can add.

I wonder if RS replaced the tank and the owner sold you this used one? there not supposed to do that BTW

anyway just keep an eye on it. and have a plan in place. might want to get a stock tank to have on hand just in case you have place to keep the fish and rock.

You don't happen to know the part number for the bracket do you? This is the first time I've heard of this. The previous tank owner just upgraded to a 300gallon.. he had no issues with it. We stay in touch.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't happen to know the part number for the bracket do you? This is the first time I've heard of this. The previous tank owner just upgraded to a 300gallon.. he had no issues with it. We stay in touch.
I dont off hand of you contact RS they normally will send you the center support. might charge you since its a 2nd hand tank IDK but worth getting. its about 1"x1" T slot that goes in the middle of the sump area.

in this photo you can see on on the 625L:

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 31.9%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 18 26.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 24.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back