I can't find a DEAD FISH...

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last week I had an amonia spike in my 180 gallon and it killed several of my fish. I was able to locate most of the fish but not all... We all know how fish hide so I am not 100% sure it died but I haven't seen my Flame Wrasse since last week.

My question is: What should I do?

The best thing would be to tear down the rock and find the poor thing but that isn't an option. I have 10 Emerald Crabs(Mithrax) in my tank. Will they find and consume the rotting fish? I also have a strong clean-up crew made up of a variety of snails and crabs. I appreciate any suggestions!

Thanks!
Cory

jcdeng

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your time tearing down the rock work, if you can't find the dead fish I suggest your keep checking your ammonia level for the next few days, if readings are not going up from baseline then its safe to assume that your CUC devoured your dead fish.

M@!

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't waste your time tearing down the rock work, if you can't find the dead fish I suggest your keep checking your ammonia level for the next few days, if readings are not going up from baseline then its safe to assume that your CUC devoured your dead fish.
+1, CUC can turn a fish to nothing in now time.

cdness

2006 - Present
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pat that CUC on the back as it did it's job. I have lost a few different fish in the past to find absolutely no sign of them anywhere... A good strong CUC will always be faster than you, unless of course you witness the fish death. It's the circle of life. (insert Lion King soundtrack here)

J Rog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you look on the floor or behind the tank? lol I have found some of my tile surfers that way..

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless its on the floor the clean up crew go it. But being a wrasse and if you has San could be hiding.

Sent from my iPhone by spaceships!

OP
OP
Soehl

Soehl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All great suggestions and information!! Thanks all! I do have a cat AND two Weiner dogs.... hhhmmmmmm. Although I have an eggcrate top it is possible that something like that happened. lol I really never even thought of that. Anyway, THANKS again!

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 136 43.3%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 108 34.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.6%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back