I don’t have Bristle Worms, I have Bristle SNAKES

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’m not sure how I should go about handling these giant guys. I have Bristle SNAKES... I can’t even call these 6-7”+ guys worms. My tank is a 7 month old 13.5 gallon Fluval Evo. These guys only live in one of the 3 rocks (that I know of) because one is a CaribSea LifeRock arch that doesn’t have the kind of holes they like, the other is creating a sort of bridge & is way off the substrate. The substrate is crushed coral, so I’m sure they’re loving that.

They just live in this one large piece of purple live rock. The only corals actually attached to the rock are some GSP and Xenias, so I would not be sad about parting with them. The rock is full, I mean FULL, of anthropods and probably plenty of other types of pods that I see on my glass all the time. I’d miss them but they’ll regenerate from what’s left.

I’m sure you can guess where this is going... do I just throw this rock out? These guys are HUGE. I have seen as many as 4 of them, all about the same size out after the lights go out. I can’t catch them with tweezers because they’re surprisingly strong and fast. I have never seen a single baby bristle worm like I have in another tank. I think these guys are out-competing any competition they might have. One of them is cohabitating with my High Fin Goby and pistol shrimp. They don’t seem to bother each other except that my goby got “bristled” the other day and had a few of them in his face and on top of his head. They’re gone now & he’s fine.

What would you do if you were me?

112CA082-B681-4042-B209-7EC0B6E7008C.jpeg 7753CF83-4DFD-4F34-A588-9846DBF235C4.jpeg DB27AE15-E467-4E9A-8D35-EF4E72147641.jpeg E85E02C9-1D7A-4F8D-B378-CAE0435E34C6.jpeg

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Those look like potential bearded fireworms. I'd be careful. Maybe try a bristleworm trap?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I’m going to try this tonight. They’re so gross... I know they’re good CUC but I’d rather stick to the little ones.
That size tank with sand dwellers is not a good combo with ones that size. Trap as many as you can and then limit the amount of food they have available.

I don’t mean to not feed your fish, just make sure not that much is left over. They regulate population based on food supply.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Those look like potential bearded fireworms. I'd be careful. Maybe try a bristleworm trap?

I just looked these up and they do look similar. I also just read that they eat anemones which would explain where the small RBTA I had went. I have not seen it in weeks. My number one priority is to catch these guys now.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And if all else fails, get an arrow crab. They will wipe them out. It would need to be removed though, as they can be reef safe, but are opportunistic. In a small tank that is not so great.

OP
OP
Brit’s Fish

Brit’s Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That size tank with sand dwellers is not a good combo with ones that size. Trap as many as you can and then limit the amount of food they have available.

I don’t mean to not feed your fish, just make sure not that much is left over. They regulate population based on food supply.
Their size and my other tank inhabitants is exactly my concern. Thank you for the great advice!

mjleffler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feel you here! I had a few “bristle pythons” in my tank that have either died off or are much less active now that I’ve backed off on my feeding. I never had any issues with the big guys... only had one bristle worm that I think was a fire worm munch on some zoas. I actually liked the little monsters...

Attachments

• 29C94E45-726E-4F1F-9B1D-A2E8AA0F140F.png
    29C94E45-726E-4F1F-9B1D-A2E8AA0F140F.png
    799.6 KB · Views: 584

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For size reference, I was super excited when I caught this one out of that tank, thinking I’d caught the big guy. Oh, how wrong I was. :(
Wow!

D6025K

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something simple and cheap I have tried in the past is using something like a small pipe with a piece of pantyhose attached to the other end with some food in it. When the worms go in they get stuck. I have never tried it on ones that size though.

Tofu Brady

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not sure how I should go about handling these giant guys. I have Bristle SNAKES... I can’t even call these 6-7”+ guys worms. My tank is a 7 month old 13.5 gallon Fluval Evo. These guys only live in one of the 3 rocks (that I know of) because one is a CaribSea LifeRock arch that doesn’t have the kind of holes they like, the other is creating a sort of bridge & is way off the substrate. The substrate is crushed coral, so I’m sure they’re loving that.

They just live in this one large piece of purple live rock. The only corals actually attached to the rock are some GSP and Xenias, so I would not be sad about parting with them. The rock is full, I mean FULL, of anthropods and probably plenty of other types of pods that I see on my glass all the time. I’d miss them but they’ll regenerate from what’s left.

I’m sure you can guess where this is going... do I just throw this rock out? These guys are HUGE. I have seen as many as 4 of them, all about the same size out after the lights go out. I can’t catch them with tweezers because they’re surprisingly strong and fast. I have never seen a single baby bristle worm like I have in another tank. I think these guys are out-competing any competition they might have. One of them is cohabitating with my High Fin Goby and pistol shrimp. They don’t seem to bother each other except that my goby got “bristled” the other day and had a few of them in his face and on top of his head. They’re gone now & he’s fine.

What would you do if you were me?

112CA082-B681-4042-B209-7EC0B6E7008C.jpeg 7753CF83-4DFD-4F34-A588-9846DBF235C4.jpeg DB27AE15-E467-4E9A-8D35-EF4E72147641.jpeg E85E02C9-1D7A-4F8D-B378-CAE0435E34C6.jpeg
I think you should definitely remove them im new but ive heard that they can be a anoying thing and posibly hurt coral/fish there also not pretty

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 19 14.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 21 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 75 56.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.7%
Back