I don’t THINK the is is ich. Right?

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up people!

I have a long nose butterfly that’s been in my display tank about a month now, doing really well, good specimen from the shop and it’s been bright and lively and always on the hunt for food and accepting frozen.

Today, my return pump ran out of water and I didn’t notice - a lot of air got into the tank for maybe 10 seconds while I topped off and started blowing micro bubbles. Happens.

Anyway since then I’ve noticed in certain lighting there are LOTS of spots all over my butterfly, fins, tail, body, head. These weren’t here yesterday, and they weren’t here this morning.

I’m thinking air bubbles?? Maybe?? Can that happen, can they get trapped on the skin etc?

Only see them in specific lighting. I’ve taken a video in blue and white light for you to help me out.

I have NOT added any new fish or coral within the 3-4 months so there’s no way it could randomly have been introduced to the tank.

White light https://youtube.com/shorts/rj-2i3VwwFM?feature=share

Blue light https://youtube.com/shorts/ng6Cw9jqeiQ?feature=share

Last edited:

Sebastiancrab

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
See if you can post some better still pictures in white lighting. It does look like you have a parasite and it's most likely ich. It can appear suddenly if a fish is stressed, for example. I would get a hospital tank ready asap and if you don't have the meds on hand, it won't hurt to purchase them. I keep Cupramine and Copper Power in stock all the time.

You will also need a test kit to monitor the copper (anything but API). I have had good success with Hydroplex doing a 10 minute saltwater dip. It's low stress and kills the bugs. But further medicine will still be needed. If it is a parasite, your tank will need to go fallow.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
DO not treat with Copper or other medications. Its a typical viral issue known as Lymphocystis which affects both larger angel and butterfly fish. It is often associated with poor water quality or sudden changes in water quality and diet. This fish does require proper diet as it can be finicky.
For water- assure you do not or have not acquired elevated ammonia and nitrate.
For diet- Herbivore foods as well as mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, LRS Fish frenzy. They will also nibble on zooplankton, small crustaceans, mollusks, anemones, fan worms, tubeworms and inverts associated with live rock

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DO not treat with Copper or other medications. Its a typical viral issue known as Lymphocystis which affects both larger angel and butterfly fish. It is often associated with poor water quality or sudden changes in water quality and diet. This fish does require proper diet as it can be finicky.
For diet- Herbivore foods as well as mysis shrimp, spirulina brine shrimp, LRS Fish frenzy. They will also nibble on zooplankton, small crustaceans, mollusks, anemones, fan worms, tubeworms and inverts associated with live rock
I’d prefer this outcome, as it’s easier to treat. But I don’t know if that would be the issue.

I have no ammonia, nitrates reading at 15ppm. Did a water 10% water change last night with new salt and put in some GFO for the first time.

I took the videos just before I fed him, noticed as I sat down to feed. He ate like an absolute pig, and always does. Hell he’s even trained to come to me and eat directly from my turkey baster before I feed the rest of the tank

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just to add on to my last point. If a change in water quality can bring this on, can that be both ways? If my water chemistry suddenly changed (I scrubbed all my rocks last night during the water change) can that also bring this on?

If it was this, what’s the treatment? Keep him eating, healthy and stable?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I’d prefer this outcome, as it’s easier to treat. But I don’t know if that would be the issue.

I have no ammonia, nitrates reading at 15ppm. Did a water 10% water change last night with new salt and put in some GFO for the first time.

I took the videos just before I fed him, noticed as I sat down to feed. He ate like an absolute pig, and always does. Hell he’s even trained to come to me and eat directly from my turkey baster before I feed the rest of the tank
With lympho, they will eat and act normal. As stated, its viral and is a condition, not a parasite

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Just to add on to my last point. If a change in water quality can bring this on, can that be both ways? If my water chemistry suddenly changed (I scrubbed all my rocks last night during the water change) can that also bring this on?

If it was this, what’s the treatment? Keep him eating, healthy and stable?
Yes on scrubbing and treatment as stated. . . Good water quality and diet. It will eventually fall off on its own

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s up people!

I have a long nose butterfly that’s been in my display tank about a month now, doing really well, good specimen from the shop and it’s been bright and lively and always on the hunt for food and accepting frozen.

Today, my return pump ran out of water and I didn’t notice - a lot of air got into the tank for maybe 10 seconds while I topped off and started blowing micro bubbles. Happens.

Anyway since then I’ve noticed in certain lighting there are LOTS of spots all over my butterfly, fins, tail, body, head. These weren’t here yesterday, and they weren’t here this morning.

I’m thinking air bubbles?? Maybe?? Can that happen, can they get trapped on the skin etc?

Only see them in specific lighting. I’ve taken a video in blue and white light for you to help me out.

I have NOT added any new fish or coral within the 3-4 months so there’s no way it could randomly have been introduced to the tank.

White light https://youtube.com/shorts/rj-2i3VwwFM?feature=share

Blue light https://youtube.com/shorts/ng6Cw9jqeiQ?feature=share

While a pump leaking air can cause gas supersaturation that causes bubbles under the skin, and bubbles can also get stuck to the fish's skin, I think this is marine ich. Sometimes, it can be difficult to ID from video and pictures, but this is pretty clearly ich....

Treating is going to require moving all of the fish into a treatment tank (or moving all of the invertebrates out of this tank). Your two best treatment options are copper or hyposalinity.

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While a pump leaking air can cause gas supersaturation that causes bubbles under the skin, and bubbles can also get stuck to the fish's skin, I think this is marine ich. Sometimes, it can be difficult to ID from video and pictures, but this is pretty clearly ich....

Treating is going to require moving all of the fish into a treatment tank (or moving all of the invertebrates out of this tank). Your two best treatment options are copper or hyposalinity.

Jay
Thank you Jay! Sorry, I haven’t dealt with Ich before - is it normal to show up this quickly? Not there, and then covered in the same day? And with no new additions in months, where may it have come from?

Does copper affect corals, or just inverts? I only have this guy and two clowns in here but also has a few corals. So trying to figure out whether to move just him, all the fish, or just inverts and then treat the DT

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I turned the lights on for a minute to get some picture, he was pretty ticked off about that (it’s sleep time) but here we are lol.

DB261014-EC91-44EA-92AF-F70B237B58DE.jpeg
1E2D5E89-5F42-4323-8C75-ED70253600A7.jpeg
71012D12-D59F-4800-8C64-4887FBF8B9C0.jpeg
A04D64E8-C229-4598-B8E0-54CC98109B72.jpeg
EE944A1D-D357-425E-AD51-73C9D43A3B35.jpeg

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does look like ich , lympho is usually only on the fins or a bit bigger than ich, treatment depends on you , I would go with ich management

reefer91

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hippo has it too and was told
To make sure his diet is good and it will go, every system has it just one thing to trigger it

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you Jay! Sorry, I haven’t dealt with Ich before - is it normal to show up this quickly? Not there, and then covered in the same day? And with no new additions in months, where may it have come from?

Does copper affect corals, or just inverts? I only have this guy and two clowns in here but also has a few corals. So trying to figure out whether to move just him, all the fish, or just inverts and then treat the DT
Ich trophonts will show up on a fish, and then come and go in sync for a time. Eventually, they get more numerous and out of sync and the fish has spots all of the time and it gets worse until they die.

Air bubbles under the skin will look silvery. Air bubbles on the skin will drop off in a day or so.

What other fish are in the tank and do you see any spots on them?

Copper really cannot be used with any coral or invertebrate, fish only.

Jay

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ich trophonts will show up on a fish, and then come and go in sync for a time. Eventually, they get more numerous and out of sync and the fish has spots all of the time and it gets worse until they die.

Air bubbles under the skin will look silvery. Air bubbles on the skin will drop off in a day or so.

What other fish are in the tank and do you see any spots on them?

Copper really cannot be used with any coral or invertebrate, fish only.

Jay
I have two clownfish and they have no spots whatsoever at the moment

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two clownfish and they have no spots whatsoever at the moment
Well, you could just observe things carefully for the moment - but if spots show up on the clowns, that would pretty much confirm ich and you'd want to get started on a treatment.

Jay

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 18 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back