Glenner’sreef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said it.
Not a fan. Lol.
Crazy the prices i see on lps euphyllia corals these days. Vendors and coral farmers had a hard time selling me that stuff when it was $20 for a head of super bright green torch. Now i dont think u could give it to me. Even with the high re sale value on it. Lol!

Takes up space. Not super pretty imo. The flow is kool i guess but i can get that with a softy.
Hammers eh. Frogspawn is probaby the most intresting to me but its just like the hammers and torches! Lol.
Green. Purple. Gold yellow. Or occasionally i see pink. No rainbow. Now real growth to watch or be amazed at. It takes awhile for them to actually form a ball colony or group.
Idk i just dont see the value. Anyone else?
D
Right. Definitely not my favorite. But I do like the polyp movement in the current. Not a small tank coral. Getting my first torch next week on a trade for some sps. Good post.

BaysEndReef

Anthony
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not hate Euphyllia but softies are making a huge comeback and I agree they are under appreciated..

You are right people think all softies grow fast, have no color and are beginners corals which is false. Yea some species of xenia are weeds. They are a diverse group of corals just like all. It is like goniopora back in the day they were thought impossible to keep but that was just because mostly they brought in was goniopora stokesi which is still hard. Same with soft corals got a reputation because what was available at the time.

look at marine Farmers purple and yellow stereonepthya. Man it is insane:

Some of the most sought after corals right now are weeping willows, Koji Wada Pink Nepthea, Japanese toad stools, pink Japanese nepthea, stero's, Neon green toad stools etc.

I think it is because there are so many other corals and sps and there really is nothing new. They are loosing there appeal because it is allot of the same corals renamed over and over again.

People moved away from softies for a long time which has made some of them pretty rare. FijI is exporting softies but not to the states which makes them harder to get. I have just been noticing a trend lately. Allot of Youtubers are now talking about softies too.

I think we will see the popularity rise in soft coral as some people want to be different. Not everyone follows the heard. I think NPS corals is another thing that will rise as some want more challenge too.

One thing I have learned being in this hobby for nearly 35 years is everything goes in cycles. Who ever thought mushrooms would become popular. You could not give them away for a long time and most avoided them at all costs. If 15 years ago I said mushrooms would make a comeback people would have said your nuts.

Couldn’t have said it any better myself.

Reefing_addiction

It’s my TANK and I want it NOW!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said it.
Not a fan. Lol.
Crazy the prices i see on lps euphyllia corals these days. Vendors and coral farmers had a hard time selling me that stuff when it was $20 for a head of super bright green torch. Now i dont think u could give it to me. Even with the high re sale value on it. Lol!

Takes up space. Not super pretty imo. The flow is kool i guess but i can get that with a softy.
Hammers eh. Frogspawn is probaby the most intresting to me but its just like the hammers and torches! Lol.
Green. Purple. Gold yellow. Or occasionally i see pink. No rainbow. Now real growth to watch or be amazed at. It takes awhile for them to actually form a ball colony or group.
D
I get that when it comes to like torches.

but if someone wanted to give me one
I would not say no

now hammers, frogs and octospawns I love
B377B6BA-4FA9-4D32-9B04-59961AD4FF9E.jpeg
AF6EBF6F-473E-4B7A-B896-C299D79D7B92.jpeg
96B2D1CE-2927-4F89-AEB6-CFD149C5F8DF.jpeg
2AD6244F-C152-4E1A-BA9C-088C7C0F7D49.jpeg

but overall expensive stuff isn’t something I go after. I go after what looks pretty to me like this
2556A7CA-1D1B-4265-B972-51CA313BAFA5.jpeg
50206A07-BEB3-4CBF-9C30-E56A79A11232.jpeg
6A1C8D85-2B4E-4FF6-B206-FDE578E91BAB.jpeg

Hooz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a big fan of Torches, Hammers and Octo/Frogspawn. There is just so much color variety available. Are prices getting out of hand? Absolutely! Especially for Torches! I've been lucky enough to find some killer deals from local reefers, though. The deals are still out there.

Currently have 6 Octo/Frogs, 5 Hammers and 5 Torches in my 30L, and no 2 of them are the same.

But... I'm also working on a few other LPS varieties (Blastos and Gonis) and I have 30+ different Zoas and a few different Mushrooms, so I don't hate on anyone who hates Euphyllia. ;)

coralfishreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s a rare, pink, pulsing “torch” that won’t get brown jelly and doesn’t sting and kill its neighbors or fish.

B12E1269-BB73-4D2F-911F-3B20EF30755D.jpeg

The kole tang is about 4”

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Someone show me a red torch. Blue?
Pink tips i think or all pink is about as close as it gets.
Purple
Green
Yellow
These are common in eupyllia imo.
D
0EE53593-B7D5-49BC-8C42-44032848315B.jpeg

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I said it.
Not a fan. Lol.

D
Hmmm I grew a frogspawn from 5 heads to 60 heads cut it all but 15 heads then grew to over 70 heads... not sure how you say no growth???

I understand you dont like the price, 7 years ago I sold 70 head colony for $250..... but if price is a consideration on why you like something or not this may not be the hobby for you....

When I started reefing palu nepthia was $70+ for a 1" frag... coral prices are all about demand.
Disco shrooms were $1-$5 depending on if it was a purple($1) or a superman ($5)
Now I see purple $20+ and superman $40+
Some Hawaiian palys were upwards of $200 pp now about $10pp

Bounce shrooms we used to throw in the sump or cut bounced off coral and throw it away... now hundreds of $$ for stressed coral lol

mainereefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my experience, it really depends. As most of my corals are delivered as I would buy them online there is a higher chance of the euphyllia to either die or deteriorate during transit. They just don’t ship well. Thankfully my dealer will either replace or refund DOAs. As for BJD thankfully I have yet to have an outbreak. For me the euphyllia that I find is the most finicky are frogspawns. They are hardest to please. I think with euphyllias getting the right flow is the key. Torches and hammers are a lil easier to get the right flow in my experience.

???? Hard to grow ????

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210329-083242_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20210329-083242_Gallery.jpg
    435.9 KB · Views: 28

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 27 32.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 15 17.9%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back