I don't understand zoas, can someone explain their view on them?

Elena Y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most don't have palytoxin and fast growth means they make $$. The colorful wanted varieties are not really that invasive since they tend to just bud off the mother colony.

They also look crazy beautiful when placed next to each other due to contrasting colors.

index.php
I saw this mesmerizing picture multiple times, but can not figure out what zoas are used here. This picture is one of the main reasons I got into the reef aquarium hustle. Can someone name the varieties on this picture, ple-e-e-ase?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I saw this mesmerizing picture multiple times, but can not figure out what zoas are used here. This picture is one of the main reasons I got into the reef aquarium hustle. Can someone name the varieties on this picture, ple-e-e-ase?

On the main group of colonies,
-At the bottom, all light green center with green/yellow skirt - radioactive dragon eyes
-Bright green center with blue mouth, purple ring and then red skirt - candy apple green
-Above and below the candy apple green with blue mouth, orang-ish ring and bright yellow skirt - eagle eyes
-All the way to the right with bright red center and bright yellow skirt - dragon eyes / original dragon eyes
-Right next to those, a few zoas with blue center and red skirt - fire and ice

Maybe someone else can help with the rest.
@footgal can you help out?

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to have the same view of zoas, now they’re easily my favorite corals. The colors on some of them are insane, they are (for the most part) easy to care for and very collectable.

When I left the SPS game I went Zoas and never looked back!

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Palytoxin is a non issue as long as your not ingesting the slime they produce. Ive been handling them for a long time without issues and just wash my hands after. That said zoas come in every color of the rainbow and are hardier than most corals. So they bring some great colors to the aquarium without as much worry for them dying.

20211016_104433.jpg
Cool chart, I might have to copy that :|

JEREMY82

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sticks take a lot of work to get the great colors and they can't handle swings in the tank as well as zoas can, zoas are hearty almost any level of hobbyists can grow them .. the colors they carry are awesome you can almost place zoas anywhere in tank and be successful,

Attachments

• 20211025_174319.jpg
    20211025_174319.jpg
    180.4 KB · Views: 62

footgal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

On the main group of colonies,
-At the bottom, all light green center with green/yellow skirt - radioactive dragon eyes
-Bright green center with blue mouth, purple ring and then red skirt - candy apple green
-Above and below the candy apple green with blue mouth, orang-ish ring and bright yellow skirt - eagle eyes
-All the way to the right with bright red center and bright yellow skirt - dragon eyes / original dragon eyes
-Right next to those, a few zoas with blue center and red skirt - fire and ice

Maybe someone else can help with the rest.
@footgal can you help out?
I think the photo was edited to increase saturation which messed with the colors a little. I tried!
CC920336-4E70-407D-A0A2-963772221152.jpeg

jgirardnrg

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's like anything else in life, there are possible dangers. I wear nitrile gloves when I handle ANY coral... for my benefit and theirs. If you take precautions you'll be fine. Would you grab the cast iron skillet off the stove without a pot holder?

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
And, again, most zoanthids have negligible to no palytoxin in them. The small, colorful, round ones are generally fine.

This article has some tips on telling them apart. You can pretty easily recognize one of the known toxic strains, if you check; take a look at Captain Jerks and Texas Trash. See how they're a visibly different shape than the cute little round zoas like Eagle Eyes? Those two are highly toxic palys. Palythoa grandis are also toxic, IIRC.

Also, you have more to worry about from bacteria than from palytoxin. There can be some really, really awful bacteria in reef tanks. If you have an open wound of any sort, even a tiny cut, NEVER put your hands into your reef tank. Wear gloves when handling your rock, always, in case there are sharp edges. You know how some people don't want bristleworms because they don't want to get stung? Well, you should never be doing a thing that could get you stung by a bristleworm.

Elena Y

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the photo was edited to increase saturation which messed with the colors a little. I tried!
CC920336-4E70-407D-A0A2-963772221152.jpeg
To Just John and footgal: Thank you VERY much! After 2 years of trying to reproduce this collection in my aquarium I got only 2 of zoas right. And GSP. Hunting for the rest online right now. Will tell my husband that is it an early Christmas gift from him to me. Thank you very much again!

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To Just John and footgal: Thank you VERY much! After 2 years of trying to reproduce this collection in my aquarium I got only 2 of zoas right. And GSP. Hunting for the rest online right now. Will tell my husband that is it an early Christmas gift from him to me. Thank you very much again!
And R2R sales are every weekend!

Crimsonphoenix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
okay, i understand, but what separates a zoa spreading from something like a kenya tree spreading? why is one a pest and the other enjoyed? ( I don't mean to say zoas are bad, im just looking for some perspectives, thanks for all the responses so far everyone!)
It’s like the definition of a weed is a plant out of place. One man’s weed is another man’s plant!

N.Sreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s like the definition of a weed is a plant out of place. One man’s weed is another man’s plant!
"A weed is a plant that has mastered every survival skill except for growing in rows"
-Doug Larson

I completly agree. Sometimes beautiful coral (plants etc) can be invasive and grow where we dont want does that make them any less beautiful?

britnicole1724

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear they can grow pretty fast, and have palytoxin. I don't understand why they are super popular given those facts, But im perfectly willing (and wanting) to hear some else view on the matter

(Please don't get SALTY (pun intended) this is just my view, I never said it was a fact or you need to think the same way)
To be honest, we didn’t even realize they had palytoxin until we got ours into the tank. Handled them with our hands and they have been doing fine. We have 4. I wasn’t a HUGE fan of them, but now that we have some and I see their coloration under the light, I am super happy with them. They’re gorgeous and have lots of fun colors to collect! Our next one is going to be the radioactive dragon eye haha

rhostam

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a stunning variety of them (with the corresponding pricing). This means they are super accessible and can brighten up rockscape quite easily. Once they adapt and are happy, they grow nicely. Some people like that.

As for their toxins, it really is best to handle all species with care (including fish and invertebrates livestock that may consume zoanthids that contain palytoxins).

Having said that, while not diminishing the danger of palytoxins, not all species contain it. That is why best practices are important.

https://reefs.com/2015/09/14/the-dangers-and-myths-of-zoa-toxicity-part-1/

Personally, I am a huge fan and I am creating a zoa garden on a large arch where they might eventually share space with SPS. I'm just as careful as I can be when handling (actually any) creature in my tank. I don't handle any coral without gloves, for instance. It's more for their protection than mine.

tomboys

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear they can grow pretty fast, and have palytoxin. I don't understand why they are super popular given those facts, But im perfectly willing (and wanting) to hear some else view on the matter

(Please don't get SALTY (pun intended) this is just my view, I never said it was a fact or you need to think the same way)
I think that zoas are one of the most attractive looking corals. I don't see the point of SPS corals myself, they grow slowly so you have to buy them big, they're harder to look after and the majority of them just look like twigs.

Back