OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DANG IT. ITS FLICKERING AGAIN!!!! Maybe it’s because it’s overheating on the left side?????

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need support for you guys today. I’m not feeling my best.

Basically I have been researching and planning for weeks to switch my ai hydra’s to T5’s. Well, today the T5’s came and I spent my whole entire day trying to set them up. Tweaking and trying to mount it. Basically, it didn’t work out as planned.

The T5 unit was giving problems where some bulbs wouldn’t turn on. Once it fixed, then the entire unit would just flicker. Then the other T5 fixture had 2 bulbs that didn’t turn on. I spent hours trying to twist, remove, adjust. This is 16 bulbs total and it was very difficult for me, especially on top of a ladder inside a canopy.

One bulb arrived broken and I dropped another.

At the end of all this, I ended up putting my ai hydras back because we were going to eat as a family and I couldn’t let my family see my lights a mess. I didn’t do anyone of my homework today and I couldn’t help my parents today in the family business. I couldn’t go to the gym today either. My whole day felt like it went to waste.

To top it off, marine depot said these 2 ATI fixtures were FINAL sale.

I think we all have days where things just don’t go as planned. I mean, if reefing was easy it probably wouldn’t attract so many people to the hobby. We would probably stick to freshwater tanks.

I really liked the color of the T5’s. I tried many different bulb combinations and I liked 50/50 blue+ and purple+ combo. The spread was really nice and I really liked the quality of the colors compared to LED’s. I see colors in my sps frags that I never saw before.

Unfortunately, I don’t know if I’m going to keep my plan of having T5’s. If this unit doesn’t get fixed, and if ATI doesn’t offer support, I’m screwed. Luckily T5 fixtures aren’t that expensive compared to LED’s.

It says right on their website that sales are final but warranties will still be honored. So if you ever have any problems in the future, they will honor it. Also all the parts for ATI's can be bought so even if something goes wrong past warranty, you can fix it. These fixtures should last a lifetime imo!

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had bad bulbs flicker before (I replaced the bulb and the issue fixed itself) but any loose bulb will also flicker. Are these dimmable or no? You need to burn the bulbs in if dimmable but not sure if they would flicker if you don't burn them in. Never tried it.

BanjoBandito

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ITS WORKING!!!!!!!
Happy Lets Go GIF by Rocky

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had bad bulbs flicker before (I replaced the bulb and the issue fixed itself) but any loose bulb will also flicker. Are these dimmable or no? You need to burn the bulbs in if dimmable but not sure if they would flicker if you don't burn them in. Never tried it.
Yep, burn in is key, dimmable or not....his are dimmable apparently. Which makes me wonder if the dimmer is on or not....full voltage to start, for a few days.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note....Also noticing majority here call them 'bulbs'? Up here in the North or at least since I started in the electrical trade we call them 'lamps' ... just wondering if this is a Murican/ Canuck thingy, or a trade one lol...

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, burn in is key, dimmable or not....his are dimmable apparently. Which makes me wonder if the dimmer is on or not....full voltage to start, for a few days.
Recommended Burn in on fluorescent lamps is usually 100 hrs on full brightness.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Side note....Also noticing majority here call them 'bulbs'? Up here in the North or at least since I started in the electrical trade we call them 'lamps' ... just wondering if this is a Murican/ Canuck thingy, or a trade one lol...
Lamps is correct terminology!!!! Bulbs in generic name for everything that lights up I guess lol.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
May be the bulbs. Process of elimination may be your best bet..... start with bulbs, then ballast, loose connections from transport, etc

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the settings on 100% but the screen had a slide show saying less than 100%. But I checked both channels and it’s still showed dim.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put the settings on 100% but the screen had a slide show saying less than 100%. But I checked both channels and it’s still showed dim.
Well, this could be an issue right there. I would call their tech support and inquire as per what you mentioned here.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need support for you guys today. I’m not feeling my best.

Basically I have been researching and planning for weeks to switch my ai hydra’s to T5’s. Well, today the T5’s came and I spent my whole entire day trying to set them up. Tweaking and trying to mount it. Basically, it didn’t work out as planned.

The T5 unit was giving problems where some bulbs wouldn’t turn on. Once it fixed, then the entire unit would just flicker. Then the other T5 fixture had 2 bulbs that didn’t turn on. I spent hours trying to twist, remove, adjust. This is 16 bulbs total and it was very difficult for me, especially on top of a ladder inside a canopy.

One bulb arrived broken and I dropped another.

At the end of all this, I ended up putting my ai hydras back because we were going to eat as a family and I couldn’t let my family see my lights a mess. I didn’t do anyone of my homework today and I couldn’t help my parents today in the family business. I couldn’t go to the gym today either. My whole day felt like it went to waste.

To top it off, marine depot said these 2 ATI fixtures were FINAL sale.

I think we all have days where things just don’t go as planned. I mean, if reefing was easy it probably wouldn’t attract so many people to the hobby. We would probably stick to freshwater tanks.

I really liked the color of the T5’s. I tried many different bulb combinations and I liked 50/50 blue+ and purple+ combo. The spread was really nice and I really liked the quality of the colors compared to LED’s. I see colors in my sps frags that I never saw before.

Unfortunately, I don’t know if I’m going to keep my plan of having T5’s. If this unit doesn’t get fixed, and if ATI doesn’t offer support, I’m screwed. Luckily T5 fixtures aren’t that expensive compared to LED’s.
You did not fail. You hit a bit of resistance to your plan. When you go to the gym, would you get resistance if you always used the lightest weight? No - you push yourself and use weight that challenges you and enables you to grow. This is no different. You had a challenge and you overcame. You are better for the experience.
Congrats .... you did well.
Now, do your homework.
youtube mix GIF

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. Unit on the left side is flickering and right was fine. I completely switched all bulbs from left to right and the right to left. If left unit is still flickering it means unit is faulty. If unit on right starts flickering and left isn’t anymore, that means that it’s the bulbs that were faulty. I’m really hoping it was the bulbs. But one part of me hopes it’s not because then I’ll always be scared of ordering new bulbs.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep your head up. We use t5’s at work to cure contact lenses and they are finicky. We always have a much easier time when we put in quality sockets for the bulbs. It takes a ton of fiddling to get them just right. But your hard work will be worth it in the end.

Back