I failed…so badly

CanuckReefer

Simple...Salt, Water, LR, Lighting and Flow.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok guys. Unit on the left side is flickering and right was fine. I completely switched all bulbs from left to right and the right to left. If left unit is still flickering it means unit is faulty. If unit on right starts flickering and left isn’t anymore, that means that it’s the bulbs that were faulty. I’m really hoping it was the bulbs. But one part of me hopes it’s not because then I’ll always be scared of ordering new bulbs.
Good choice in switching bulbs working from one to the other. Process of elimination. So if left flickers, no matter what, it is not the lamps, it is something else....perhaps ballast, write down all your findings in detail that you tried, have them in front of you for when you call ATI tech support.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The left unit is still blinking/flickering. It has nothing to do with the bulbs. It’s 100% the unit.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update. The left unit is still blinking/flickering. It has nothing to do with the bulbs. It’s 100% the unit.
Ok, And so, till tomorrow, let's go another route, let's have you post a favourite pic or two of your tank itself , one of your favourite inhabitants, to break up the stress. It can be today or it can be a while back. Sit back , chill, and immerse. Lets see Miami Reef....the pics don't have to be perfect. They only need to be what you see through your daily lens.

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to hear this. I’d put money on sockets. Why do I say this? It’s part of what I do. This tunnel:
image.jpg

And these ballasts:
image.jpg

Are all for 106 T5’s. Sockets are the most common failure point when flickering or failure to ignite is happening.

Suohhen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep I would bet on the sockets especially the wires connection to the leads. Also as you stated before you had trouble getting the bulbs properly seated when the ballasts were elevated so that could be why the left side is flickering but I would guess since you figured that out you're being more careful.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the problem. ATI support emailed me and said it’s because of overheating. I’m supposed to rotate one the units backwards because the exhaust is blowing into the other unit which is causing it to blink. When I opened the canopy doors it stopped blinking. And when I tested them outside the tank they worked too. Also the unit only blinks after it’s been running for some time.

The only problem is trying to adjust the settings while the unit is backwards. That might be very difficult, but I’ll only set it one time and it’ll be good to go!

Im very happy now. Also, my younger brother surprised me with this massive blue tang. It’s literally 10 years old. I’ll have to show pictures, but I don’t think my tank is big enough for it.

Thank you guys. I needed to learn that taking a break is best even though I want to keep working on the tank.

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found the problem. ATI support emailed me and said it’s because of overheating. I’m supposed to rotate one the units backwards because the exhaust is blowing into the other unit which is causing it to blink. When I opened the canopy doors it stopped blinking. And when I tested them outside the tank they worked too. Also the unit only blinks after it’s been running for some time.

The only problem is trying to adjust the settings while the unit is backwards. That might be very difficult, but I’ll only set it one time and it’ll be good to go!

Im very happy now. Also, my younger brother surprised me with this massive blue tang. It’s literally 10 years old. I’ll have to show pictures, but I don’t think my tank is big enough for it.

Thank you guys. I needed to learn that taking a break is best even though I want to keep working on the tank.
And....success, time being, till the next hiccup, and it will come, it's the challenge, you/we the community with you will get there. Each step, how long with this setup? It gets easier as the years go by, then you want the challenge again. Or it presents itself upon you out of the blue, when you dont want it lol....Vicious beautiful circle....

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Can we have a pic? Just one....makes the thread all the better....it doesn't matter how it looks, just take a pic, and let us discover what your reef is....you've got something beautiful in there....

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check and make sure that the ballast wire are properly seated in the tombestones (the part that the lamp sets into. Sometimes they come loose and can cause that issue.

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don’t want to hear this. I’d put money on sockets. Why do I say this? It’s part of what I do. This tunnel:
image.jpg

And these ballasts:
image.jpg

Are all for 106 T5’s. Sockets are the most common failure point when flickering or failure to ignite is happening.
I think you might be right. I don’t think the unit is overheating because it’s still flickering. Is it hard to change sockets/ballasts?

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you might be right. I don’t think the unit is overheating because it’s still flickering. Is it hard to change sockets/ballasts?
If you can read a schematic it’s not difficult at all. Basically just follow the lines and make sure that they go wher they’re supposed to. Basically follow each individual wire to its tombstone, give it a tug, if it comes out just re-stab back into port. Make sure power is off though. Those ballast wires hurt like heck if they get ya. People at factories screw up. Maybe they just landed a wire wrong or not completely. Don’t be intimidated and good luck.
1625334172313.png

OP
OP
Miami Reef

Miami Reef

Clam Fanatic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can read a schematic it’s not difficult at all. Basically just follow the lines and make sure that they go wher they’re supposed to. Basically follow each individual wire to its tombstone, give it a tug, if it comes out just re-stab back into port. Make sure power is off though. Those ballast wires hurt like heck if they get ya. People at factories screw up. Maybe they just landed a wire wrong or not completely. Don’t be intimidated and good luck.
1625334172313.png
What do I search in YouTube to do this? I have an 8 bulb and I’m slightly confused by this picture, but you make it sound easy enough in your writing

CanuckReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do I search in YouTube to do this? I have an 8 bulb and I’m slightly confused by this picture, but you make it sound easy enough in your writing
I think @olonmv is saying (I could be wrong) , to check the existing connections first. Trace each and every wire to its landing spot, give a gentle tug, to ensure it is seated properly and move on to the next. This could potentially be the issue.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think @olonmv is saying (I could be wrong) , to check the existing connections first. Trace each and every wire to its landing spot, give a gentle tug, to ensure it is seated properly and move on to the next. This could potentially be the issue.
This and to make sure that the wires are properly designated to their lamps correctly.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.6%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 24.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back