I feel dumb asking this but.....

Prettymuchnow

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I recently lost all of my fish to what could possibly have been Brook. I feel like I might have brought it in with some unclean chaeto from a non-fallow tank that I put in after a 2 week qt in a bucket.

In attempting to treat this i was able to move one fish into a hospital tank. But they died very shortly after.
I broke down the hospital tank and rinsed everything out and have let it dry for a few days now. I am about to set it all back up and start cycling it for a QT while my DT sits fallow.

My question is - do I have to wait a certain amount of time for the brook to die off? Or would rinsing the tank and letting it dry for a few days be enough? I know I need to establish the cycle and I feel this will help with the fallow period before re-introducing anything to my DT. But I want to be sure the brook is gone!

Any advice is appreciated and I understand this might be a dumb question lol. Of course I dont THINK brook could survive dry... but crazier things right?

BostonReefer300

View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
I'm not sure if the brook parasite can survive out of water for short periods of time or not. IMO better to be safe than sorry. Can you just bleach all your QT related stuff and then rinse well? There's no way the parasite will survive bleaching.

Do you house a "Reef Safe" Angelfish in your reef tank?

• YES and it's going good

Votes: 183 40.9%
  • YES but it's not working out

Votes: 13 2.9%
  • NO I have tried it in the past and it didn't work out

Votes: 39 8.7%
  • NO I haven't tried yet

Votes: 197 44.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 15 3.4%
NY