I hate sumps!!!!

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So we have set up the new tank, 7 hours later and we have had to get the fish back in even without properly finishing.
Couple of things we need help on!

What can we do if the seals on the down pipes are slightly leaking, it's not loads but you know what a drip can do! We even called our plumber friend out quickly but he tried too!

Also how can you stop the glugging noise when water goes down the in pipe? It's so loud and driving us mad! Other than that will put photos on my thread once the fish are settled etc

Jon Fishman

Cleveland Ohio, buy/sell local!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glugging sound may need a hole drilled in the pipe, at the 90 (where water doesn’t directly run) to cause an air release. Otherwise play with the level of flow. Is your return pump a D/C / variable speed?

As far as leaks. If the pipes and fittings are good and glued, there should be no dripping

sfin52

So many pedestrians so little time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain line doesn't need glued there is no pressure. If you are getting leak from drain line you have back pressure.

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The drain line doesn't need glued there is no pressure. If you are getting leak from drain line you have back pressure.
I wouldn't say that is 100% true.
So we have set up the new tank, 7 hours later and we have had to get the fish back in even without properly finishing.
Couple of things we need help on!

What can we do if the seals on the down pipes are slightly leaking, it's not loads but you know what a drip can do! We even called our plumber friend out quickly but he tried too!

Also how can you stop the glugging noise when water goes down the in pipe? It's so loud and driving us mad! Other than that will put photos on my thread once the fish are settled etc
Where is the drip coming from? Bulkhead ? As for the noise what style are you running? Durso , herbie or bean?? The flow rate also can affect how much noise you have

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is the pipe system I have set up, the two pipes on the right are drip leaking. But what I think I'll do is get the plumber back and re do it all etc.

But the main thing is this glugging noise, I have reduced the flow to 1 and the glugging has stopped. But what do you guys do for the water flow noise down the weir? I never realised how much noise this tank makes compared to my old set up

20190630_181159.jpg

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn't say that is 100% true.

Where is the drip coming from? Bulkhead ? As for the noise what style are you running? Durso , herbie or bean?? The flow rate also can affect how much noise you have

I think it's a durso system. I'm so out of my depth with all of this!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipes need to be properly sealed with pvc primer+ glue. If you glued them and still leaking, you might turn off the return pump and seal the outside of the pvc joint with primer and glue. Pvc glue softens the pvc to attain proper bonding.
Ive successfully stopped leaks like this on pvc systems.
In regards to the gurgling from the overflow, make sure there are no pockets that can hold air. Are you getting only gurgling or flushing.
Reach out to Jeff @ lifereef filter systems and he can send you a silencer which I have on my system. Stopped the gurgle but if you have flushing you want to make sure its a somewhat straight shot into the sump

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pipes need to be properly sealed with pvc primer+ glue. If you glued them and still leaking, you might turn off the return pump and seal the outside of the pvc joint with primer and glue. Pvc glue softens the pvc to attain proper bonding.
Ive successfully stopped leaks like this on pvc systems.
In regards to the gurgling from the overflow, make sure there are no pockets that can hold air. Are you getting only gurgling or flushing.
Reach out to Jeff @ lifereef filter systems and he can send you a silencer which I have on my system. Stopped the gurgle but if you have flushing you want to make sure its a somewhat straight shot into the sump

The glugging makes a noise then stops for 10 seconds then starts again for 30 seconds or so. I reckon it's a airlock by the sounds of it. In respect to the leaking I'm going to find something to seal them up better!

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The glugging makes a noise then stops for 10 seconds then starts again for 30 seconds or so. I reckon it's a airlock by the sounds of it. In respect to the leaking I'm going to find something to seal them up better!
This sounds like flushing. A picture of the overflow would help too.
Jeff includes an airline with his silencer that you fish down the drain and adjust until the noise stops. This would effectively stop the trapped air and may give you some silence. Ive tried all the overflow silencers and his is the ONLY one that works. It flows a heck of a lot of water too

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of your overflow?
I would also like a picture of your pipes where they enter the water in your sump.
Also where is the drip originating along the pipe?

We can fix the noise problem.

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just saw the pics. Looks like quick coupler pvc connections with some teflon tape. Id replace those with a slipXslip true union glued. Im not a fan of quick connections for aquariums.
I'll be heading to my local plumbing store tomorrow then!

For drilling the pipe, which 90 bend is best to drill? Also what if I do that and water ends up spitting out of that too?

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you take a picture of your overflow?
I would also like a picture of your pipes where they enter the water in your sump.
The whole box is in black from the painted back ground so mine is like this but we made the pipe to the sump longer as the sound of cascading water was horrendous!
Screenshot_20190630-181320_Samsung Internet.jpg

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t drill any holes in pipes yet either!!

Once you’ve fixed the leaks you will need to adjust the ball valve by closing it a bit at a time to regulate the flow going through the pipes. Looks like the value is wide open at the moment.
I think I have figured it out, the amount of bubbles the weir was producing was causing it to get the gurgling. So I have put some filter floss as a water barrier to stop so many bubbles and now seems to be quieter. Will try the valve next :) getting there!

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Charlotte,

To be honest you’ve been given some strange advice on this thread.

First thing first unscrew these two connections circulated in yellow (with the pumps off). Remove the white PTFE tape.

The black rubber gaskets will get pushed up into the fitting as you retighten the fittings (the tape is causing small gaps and thus leaks).

Once that’s done, start to adjust the ball value a little at a time and leave it for 5 minutes to settle. Eventually you’ll get to a point where the wire fills nearly to the top with water and it’ll start trickling down the centre pipe (the Durso).

Then it’ll be quite and not floss will be needed as there won’t be bubbles.

Regards
Andy

6A596FB1-0D39-4F24-A587-6DD983FFE422.jpeg

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also it’s a bit strange that ND have given you that white 45 degree fitting. I would have thought they would have given you another grey upvc fitting which should have been glued in.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back