OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this valve to closed or will this be ok?

20190630_185924.jpg

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok you are on the right track I just looked at the site and can make a few suggestions on how to set this up
The middle pipe has a vent at the top to let in some air in. So dont drill a hole. This pipe needs to be set so there is just a trickle of water going down it.
Your main drain is the short pipe way under water. This has a valve down below. This valve is used to adjust the trickle. You start with it open then close it a little at a time until just a trickle goes down the the tall pipe

Last edited:

porter_painter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha they did but I epoxy glued it the wrong way round!

Ah I see haha :D

Is this valve to closed or will this be ok?

20190630_185924.jpg

I would close it only a little to start with and then leave it a few mins and see how full the wier is. Then give it a little bit more of a turn and keep trying.

The right position will depend on how powerful your return pump is and thus it has to be trial and error. When the wier is full enough for water to go down the middle pipe then you’re done.

Your sump looks a bit full in that picture - don’t know if your return was off when you too the pic

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now if you are getting bubbles coming out of the pipe in the sump then either the bubbles are coming in from your overflow box or the pipe is too deep in the sump and the force of the water can not push all the air out of the pipe at start up. So before cutting the pipe I would lower the sump water level a bit and see if that helps. Another thing to keep in mind is when the pumps are off some water in the overflow and in the pipes will drain back into the sump. This can be a problem if it overflows. And the return pipe that goes back into the tank sucks water back into the sump until some air gets and breaks the siphon. That can be adjusted or fixed a few different ways.
Let us know
Cheers

Last edited:

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The noise is from the stand pipe taking to much then the second drain starts to catch up. You need to find the happy balance between the two thats why you have a ball valve. (the ball valves are harder to tune) Start to slowly close the ball valve on the (short drain) you want the second drain to do some of the work and it will be dead silent. I have the same set up

EW_Fish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The noise is from the stand pipe taking to much then the second drain starts to catch up. You need to find the happy balance between the two thats why you have a ball valve. (the ball valves are harder to tune) Start to slowly close the ball valve on the (short drain) you want the second drain to do some of the work and it will be dead silent. I have the same set up

drain.png

OP
OP
Charlotte Kiely

Charlotte Kiely

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ended up playing around more and got water coming out of the emergency line too.

But I have been trying to get my sump level to lower in the right chamber as its about 2 inches higher than the glass to the next chamber. I am guessing that is just a case of increase power on return pump and get more water to flow to the main tank?

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have ended up playing around more and got water coming out of the emergency line too.
Great news

I have been trying to get my sump level lower in the right chamber as its about 2 inches higher than the glass to the next chamber. I am guessing that is just a case of increase power on return pump and get more water to flow to the main tank?
Increase in return pump will not lower the level. What you will need to do is remove some of the water from the sump or tank until you get the level in the sump you want.

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With time the water will evaporate and will get lower. You will need to manually top off the water to get it back to your desired level. You do this with fresh water. Manually or with an Auto Top Off (ATO)

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Will add that secondary drain height should be at the height where you want water level in box for quiet splashless operation.
And once full siphon is adjusted so that just a bit goes down secondary, it will take a few minutes for all air to be purged from full siphon, and once all air is out a slight re-adjustment of full siphon valve may be necessary.

Oh, and you need a new plumber

Last edited:

Mark Novack

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have trouble getting the flow right take a look at PVC gate valves. Precise control to shhhh the down pipe.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 15 22.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 2 3.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 8 12.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 35 53.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 9.1%
Back