Reverse Undergravel

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. videos only
It’s > 200KG. Constant flow from the Mediterranean Sea, to replace all water in 48 hours..
That whole coastline is soo beautiful with pristine water .. I can imagine the water used helped in the success .. Can’t wait to go back ..

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm according to history Jaubert Invented his system in 79’. You are saying you used system in 71 which is 8 years prior to that. Perhaps you are confused about the year ??
“The Oceanographic Museum was inaugurated in 1910 by Monaco's modernist reformer Prince Albert I,[2] who invited to the celebrations not just high officials and celebrities but also the world-leading oceanographers of the day to develop the concept of a future Mediterranean Commission dedicated to oceanography, now called Mediterranean Science Commission. Jacques-Yves Cousteau was director from 1957 to 1988. The Museum celebrated its centenary in March 2010, after extensive renovations.“

I could not find a start date for aquarium, where did you find your information?

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a nice pond you have there!

Since you are thinking about some mangroves, maybe this video can spark some ideas.

- Video really starts after 0:40

Its a bit old, but you can see a system that runs completely outdoor, and the first stage is only mangroves. His filtration is all natural.

Reign1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
“The Oceanographic Museum was inaugurated in 1910 by Monaco's modernist reformer Prince Albert I,[2] who invited to the celebrations not just high officials and celebrities but also the world-leading oceanographers of the day to develop the concept of a future Mediterranean Commission dedicated to oceanography, now called Mediterranean Science Commission. Jacques-Yves Cousteau was director from 1957 to 1988. The Museum celebrated its centenary in March 2010, after extensive renovations.“

I could not find a start date for aquarium, where did you find your information?
Yes the Aquarium was started in 1910 correct but the Jaubert plenum started in late 70’s .. I am not going to hijack this guys thread .. You mention in one of your previous threads that you ran an under gravel filter in 71’ in TX .I can see you using these terms interchangeably perhaps idk .. After seeing your threads I do recall you from RC in the early 00’s ..

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been running Jaubert plenum, dsb and reverse ug for 53 years. While some of those could happen, it’s most likely operator error as he cause.

Because detritus was brought up: I will address IT as a municipal waste water operations manager:

In our oxidation ponds, we use nitrification bacteria to break down ammonia to nitrites to nitrates, then in the Faculative Zone; bacteria in low oxygen environment scavenge oxygen from NO3 and release a free nitrogen molecule. And that happens in DSB as well.

Subsea said: I have more detritus than Paul in my 25 year old cryptic/mud refugium.

@Paul C. is my mentor, I emulated him. This is what he said about detritus and MULM:

paul b

• paul b
    Oracle Reefer
  • WAMAS Speaker
June 10, 2016
I think one of the most important, and least understood or mentioned things in a reef tank is "mulm". That stuff that grows in the dark portions of a tank if it is set up long enough. "Mulm" is a combination of algae, sponges, bacteria, pods, worms, detritus, poop and any thing else that can be propagated or grown in the dark. I realize most people would immediately get out the sponge, razor blade or grenade to remove it but there is a word I like to use to describe those people. That word is "wrong". Mulm is a natural product that you will find in the sea all over the world. Our tanks run on bacteria, algae and a food chain. Bacteria and a food chain are dependent on having a place to reproduce. Mulm is the perfect place. Rocks and glass are flat surfaces that are only two dimensional. Mulm makes these places three dimensional allowing much more space for bacteria and microscopic organisms to grow and do the macarana. (Then love to dance) Pods, which are needed for any small fish also need to eat and their numbers are directly related to how much food they can get their hands on (or whatever pods use to eat with) The more food, the more pods, the more pods, the easier to keep smaller fish. Larger fish such as copperbands and angels also eat pods.
Many people try to keep fish such as pipefish, mandarins or other dragonettes in a sterile tank and while feeding them a couple of times a day with tiger pods or some other expensive food. Those types of fish will not live for long in such a tank and they certainly won't spawn which I consider the "only" criteria to determine the state of health for any paired fish.
Mulm (after a while, maybe a few years) should grow on the back and sides of glass as well as under rocks.
Here in this picture of my clingfish, the mulm appears green. It is really brownish and that fish is on the side of my tank. I brightened up the picture and turned it sideways because it was in the dark and the fish was hard to see.
There is a thick layer of it on the back of my tank where my mandarins and pipefish like to hunt. My long spined urchin also grazes there most of the time as there is not much algae in my tank for him to eat. He is many years old as are the mandarins and pipefish and they are dependent on this food source.
A sterile tank IMO is the biggest problem we have keeping certain fish healthy.
Sterile is good in an operating room but very bad in a tank.

PS: I doubt Paul will comment this week as he is ongoing some serious back/spine work. Prayers work!

Last edited:

Subsea

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That whole coastline is soo beautiful with pristine water .. I can imagine the water used helped in the success .. Can’t wait to go back ..
@Reign1

You are a gentleman and a diplomat!!

“That whole coastline is soo beautiful with pristine water .. I can imagine the water used helped in the success .. Can’t wait to go back .”

“Hmm according to history Jaubert Invented his system in 79’. You are saying you used system in 71 which is 8 years prior to that. Perhaps you are confused about the year ??“

You are correct on confusing times. It happens when you are 75 and only know one speed in the fast lane. While reading my tank thread, in 1971, I had a undergravel filter using air bubbler to draw water down into limestone substrate. Because of busy schedule, I didn’t notice when air pump failed and at end of semester with stellar water clarity I stumbled into Jaubert Plenum, not in Louisiana, but in Galveston, Tx.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reverse undergravel filter has been running for just over 50 years. If you do no maintenance it will eventually clog so a few times a year I use a diatom filter to stir up the gravel. Any powerful canister filter can be used.

besskurz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My reverse undergravel filter has been running for just over 50 years. If you do no maintenance it will eventually clog so a few times a year I use a diatom filter to stir up the gravel. Any powerful canister filter can be used.

Forgive my question if this was already answered before, but:
-Clog would be due to detritus building up?
-Or sand turning into chuncks of rock?

I'm probably too young for this, but my aquarium is a plenum / jaubert.

So far I had no issues, 2 years running. But im not sure which precautions I should have in the long run or if they would be somehow similar to reverse ug.

I see no aparent reason now to stir up the sand and if I do this all the fine sand of the top layer will slide under the course sand.

Let me know what do you think!

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have a reverse undergravel filter running with sand, there isn't anything you can do to prevent clogging because sand is to fine for that type of system. It is only 2 years old so you have a lot more years left for it to clog but I would bet it is starting to clog now. I hope I am wrong so good luck :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back