I hate waiting!!!

JATReef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this! Hopefully you can find another tank with the same dimensions as a replacement so you don't have to start from complete scratch.

How bad is the leak?

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh no, did you get it new? hopefully the warranty will pay up. has it caused much damage?
Unfortunately no. I bought it off of Craigslist. Shame on me I guess. When I water tested it it was fine for 2 days. Now with water in it for just under a month it started leaking.

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So sorry to hear this! Hopefully you can find another tank with the same dimensions as a replacement so you don't have to start from complete scratch.

How bad is the leak?

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty bad. I noticed a wet spot in the corner of my stand this morning and could tell that the water level in the return section was well below where it should have been with overnight evaporation. I’m glad it happened when it did though, we’re getting carpeting in a couple of weeks and was dreading having to move the tank. But now I just won’t start again until after the carpet is in. I’ll be buying a brand new tank this time for sure.

Pinback

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the downturn

Find leak, cut out the corner silicon without getting the joint, silicon it. You'll be good

Even a brand new tank can leak, but there is a warranty period to consider

Stephen Reed

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Keep all of the rock in a bucket of heated water so you don’t lose all that bacteria. That should help shorten your cycle when you get it back into a tank.

jim9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The scape looked great! Hope you figure the tank out soon.

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you sure its the tank and not any plumbing or anything else?
Definitely the tank. Plumbing doesn’t run near where the water was. Also felt it on the outside of the stand running down it.

Sonja

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately no. I bought it off of Craigslist. Shame on me I guess. When I water tested it it was fine for 2 days. Now with water in it for just under a month it started leaking.
Gutted for you, are you going to try and repair it or look out for another?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Well things have gone on hold indefinitely. Woke up this morning to find my tank leaking. Lots of money down the drain. Super disappointed.
If you can find the leak location, will be an Easy Fix !!
You will have to cut away all the silicone in the area and clean it away thoroughly. Wipe clean with alcohol and using aquarium sealant such as aqueon, apply a generous bead of sealant down the glass and spread evenly with fingertip or even a popsicle stick and allow to dry at least 24-36 hours. Leak test again and if done properly will not leak and you will have a permanent repair in which you can continue your set up of tank
THIS IS A LOT EASIER TO DO THAN IT SOUNDS

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gutted for you, are you going to try and repair it or look out for another?
I’m going to pick one up from Petco at 50% off. That way I have a warranty to fall back on.

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can find the leak location, will be an Easy Fix !!
You will have to cut away all the silicone in the area and clean it away thoroughly. Wipe clean with alcohol and using aquarium sealant such as aqueon, apply a generous bead of sealant down the glass and spread evenly with fingertip or even a popsicle stick and allow to dry at least 24-36 hours. Leak test again and if done properly will not leak and you will have a permanent repair in which you can continue your set up of tank
THIS IS A LOT EASIER TO DO THAN IT SOUNDS
My only issue is that with it being a used tank I may fix one spot only to have another pop up in another month or two. Petco has 75’s for 50% off right now so I’m going to grab one there. That way I at least have a warranty.

OP
OP
Tice

Tice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did save a bit of sand and a chunk of my scape in a ten gallon I had purchased for my quarantine set up. That way I will have at least some live rock and sand to add to the new one and shorten my cycle that way.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
My only issue is that with it being a used tank I may fix one spot only to have another pop up in another month or two. Petco has 75’s for 50% off right now so I’m going to grab one there. That way I at least have a warranty.
Are they reef ready ?
Also, if youre happy with the new 75, you can sell the leaker as a reptile tank and recoup some of the money for new tank

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 31.2%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 26 23.9%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 19.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 25.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back