I have a sick Millipora

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need some help, if it is not too late For this little guy. He is turning white on me and I do not know what to do. Is he dying? This is the first SPS I added to my tank.

now
D87E8259-3E35-400E-AA04-E33A5217F4D1.jpeg

what he looked like 2 days ago
F4A5338E-C1D0-46AC-90AC-4913C99A7ABF.jpeg

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
RTN, could be due to any number of reasons.
Elements, light, flow, nutrients, bacterial, metals etc etc etc, you name it, if something is out of whack or quickly changes, corals will do this.

You can try fragging a tip, making sure not to take anything close to where it's stripped. Some people then dip the frag.

TBH this rarely works, something it does, but it usually doesn't take long before it's all stripped.

Sorry man.

I've had two corals do this, both whilst the tank was under 6 months, since then not lost anything in the next 6 months.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree wit 2nd poster. I’d cut the top 3/4-1” off the right arm showing in the picture and glue that to another rock in the tank. You might keep it alive without cutting but having two is better than having none. The rate of loss looks like you will be lucky if you can save anything, ime.
I’d be already be cutting if I wanted to try and keep it.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree wit 2nd poster. I’d cut the top 3/4-1” off the right arm showing in the picture and glue that to another rock in the tank. You might keep it alive without cutting but having two is better than having none. The rate of loss looks like you will be lucky if you can save anything, ime.
I’d be already be cutting if I wanted to try and keep it.
Thank was my first one... : ( I noticed it last night. It was just a small spot. It’s almost got half of it already. That white part is bigger now that in the pic from 30 minutes ago.

I know now...

cloak

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does everything else look? (sps) When I see a blemish like that I panic and start breaking things off. Then again, sometimes things correct themselves over time. Patience? (pests aside) GL.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How does everything else look? (sps) When I see a blemish like that I panic and start breaking things off. Then again, sometimes things correct themselves over time. Patience? (pests aside) GL.
The white area was spreading like wild fire... everything else looks good! I’ve spent some time getting ready for SPS... this is a set back : ( my water parameters really tight! Very stable...

calcium stays between 425 - 450
mag stays between 1,325 - 1,350
Alk stays between 8.8 - 9.1
salt fluctuates between 34.8 - 35.2
PH does fluctuate more than I want... normal is between 8.0 - 8.3
my temperature has been swinging more with the lights I added 77.5 - 79.5 (I am adding a chiller tomorrow)
Nitrates hover at .4
phosphates have been my problem, but I have slowly brought that down to .13..... trying to get low.

PAR where that coral is is 380

Epic Aquaculture

The artist formerly known as SawCJack00
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others have stated, fragging was probably your only hope, however, I also want to point out that Acropora Millepora is not a good first choice for Acros. This also appears to be a maricultured piece which are much more difficult to acclimate to captive conditions. I would suggest an aquacultured Bali Green Slimer as your next frag. They are very hardy, fast growers, and even though common they are still a beautiful piece to have in your tank. Stay away from maricultured pieces until you've had some success, and even then I would suggest a QT tank to make sure you don't get any nastys from maricultured pieces that you try in the future. Best of luck to you going forward.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others have stated, fragging was probably your only hope, however, I also want to point out that Acropora Millepora is not a good first choice for Acros. This also appears to be a maricultured piece which are much more difficult to acclimate to captive conditions. I would suggest an aquacultured Bali Green Slimer as your next frag. They are very hardy, fast growers, and even though common they are still a beautiful piece to have in your tank. Stay away from maricultured pieces until you've had some success, and even then I would suggest a QT tank to make sure you don't get any nastys from maricultured pieces that you try in the future. Best of luck to you going forward.
I did actually learn about maricultured pieces “after I bought that one... that is on me.

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did actually learn about maricultured pieces “after I bought that one... that is on me.

Don’t be hard on yourself. Maricultured acros are difficult to keep alive.

Shaded areas are usual suspects as the tissue is the thinnest and leaves it vulnerable to bad bacteria that surrounds the colony. It’s like the weak link in the chain.

As others have said, fragging is about all you can do and hope for the best.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don’t be hard on yourself. Maricultured acros are difficult to keep alive.

Shaded areas are usual suspects as the tissue is the thinnest and leaves it vulnerable to bad bacteria that surrounds the colony. It’s like the weak link in the chain.

As others have said, fragging is about all you can do and hope for the best.
Thanks Flippers! : )

Flippers4pups

Fins up since 1993
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait.... this is a disease? I just put that whole coral back in my QT

It can spread from the infected sps coral to a healthy sps coral sometimes. So fragging away the dead and dying tissue out of the display and discarding it Is the best course of action. Similar to BJD (brown jelly disease) in Euphyllia coral.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can spread from the infected sps coral to a healthy sps coral sometimes. So fragging away the dead and dying tissue out of the display and discarding it Is the best course of action. Similar to BJD (brown jelly disease) in Euphyllia coral.
Replaced my carbon too... anything else I should do?

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sometimes Carbon isn’t always a good thing. How much are you using and what kind?
I have a 200 gallon tank. I honestly do not know how much water. ...sump,rock, equipment displacement... I have done the volume math... roughly 240 gallons of water based on total volume... I have almost 300 lbs of live rock... stuff in my sump... best guess, 180 gallons of water... 1 cup of the carbon in the pic below in a mesh bag in my sump.

2E93E083-4C0C-4697-8F8F-E8C447C10231.jpeg

Camaro Show Corals

Formally known as The Camaro Show
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have a 200 gallon tank. I honestly do not know how much water. ...sump,rock, equipment displacement... I have done the volume math... roughly 240 gallons of water based on total volume... I have almost 300 lbs of live rock... stuff in my sump... best guess, 180 gallons of water... 1 cup of the carbon in the pic below in a mesh bag in my sump.

2E93E083-4C0C-4697-8F8F-E8C447C10231.jpeg
Can you tell us about your total system, starting with your RODI system? I have never heard of that brand of carbon, I would only recommend ROX carbon from brs. Are you rinsing it before hand?

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 89 87.3%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 5.9%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.9%
Back