I have a sick Millipora

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you're just still a little too early for a more challenging piece like a maricultured milli. Even some of the classic millis end up giving some sps keepers a hard time.

Regarding RTN, IMO this case is likely due to putting a challenging piece in a system that isn't quite mature yet. BC of this, I wouldn't rush to change carbon or run additional supplements/chemicals as they add opportunity for new instabilities.

Instead keep with the things your working on and as mentioned above try a classic starter piece next.

SSC
Red Planet
Green Slimer

Avoid Pocci and Stylos if Acropora are your end goal.

At 8-10 mo, you're right on the line of being mature enough.

Maybe consider a battle box requesting starter frags or hit up Therman requesting the same.

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't freak out about RTN being spoken of as a "disease". Think of it more like a secondary infection. When a piece is stressed or otherwise compromised by lack of nutrition/stability/contamination opportunistic infections take advantage.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like the others have stated, fragging was probably your only hope, however, I also want to point out that Acropora Millepora is not a good first choice for Acros. This also appears to be a maricultured piece which are much more difficult to acclimate to captive conditions. I would suggest an aquacultured Bali Green Slimer as your next frag. They are very hardy, fast growers, and even though common they are still a beautiful piece to have in your tank. Stay away from maricultured pieces until you've had some success, and even then I would suggest a QT tank to make sure you don't get any nastys from maricultured pieces that you try in the future. Best of luck to you going forward.

Yep, you can tell by the growth form/pattern this was either a wild or MC piece, which you hit right on the head: takes more skill and often a dedicated system to get them to survive initially.

Even after fragging, I’ve had whole colonies and the frags just go.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you tell us about your total system, starting with your RODI system? I have never heard of that brand of carbon, I would only recommend ROX carbon from brs. Are you rinsing it before hand?
Yes, I rinse before use. I either use RODI water to rinse it, or fresh salt water from my barrel. I did forget to rinse it once, several months ago. Let’s just say, I learned my lesson that day!

A bit about my system... it’s all on my build thread, but here goes. People have described my system on my build thread as a “luxury tank.” My tank is now 8 1/2 months old and has had coraline growth for the last 4 months. It still needs a bit more maturity.

RODI is a BRS 75 GPD, 7 stage system... It is new enough that I have not had to change any filters or media yet. It measures TDS seperatley on the 3 final “resin” stages. The last 2 have never been above zero. The first one has hit 14 TDS once. I did a back-flush and that one dropped back to 1.

I am dosing BRS 2 part (which is really 3 part) I am dosing the Magnesium manually as needed to stay “near” 1,350. I now have the calcium and soda ash in my APEX DOS dosing system. My Apex Neptune is set to dose If calcium drops below 450 and Alk when it drops below 9. I also have a Trident system monitoring everything.

I almost always have 2 bags of Purigen in my sump. I replace 1 bags every two weeks. And I am running PhosGaurd in a reactor. I change that media out every 4 days.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates, at 0.4 ppm, seem very low. Some people target 5 ppm. Others target 20 ppm.

FWIW, I've had a good sized, new frag go completely white, except for one little nub. It is growing back from that nub (few square millimeters to good half-inch now of live tissue).

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your nitrates, at 0.4 ppm, seem very low. Some people target 5 ppm. Others target 20 ppm.

FWIW, I've had a good sized, new frag go completely white, except for one little nub. It is growing back from that nub (few square millimeters to good half-inch now of live tissue).
.4 was a typo... it is 4 ppm sorry

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, I rinse before use. I either use RODI water to rinse it, or fresh salt water from my barrel. I did forget to rinse it once, several months ago. Let’s just say, I learned my lesson that day!

A bit about my system... it’s all on my build thread, but here goes. People have described my system on my build thread as a “luxury tank.” My tank is now 8 1/2 months old and has had coraline growth for the last 4 months. It still needs a bit more maturity.

RODI is a BRS 75 GPD, 7 stage system... It is new enough that I have not had to change any filters or media yet. It measures TDS seperatley on the 3 final “resin” stages. The last 2 have never been above zero. The first one has hit 14 TDS once. I did a back-flush and that one dropped back to 1.

I am dosing BRS 2 part (which is really 3 part) I am dosing the Magnesium manually as needed to stay “near” 1,350. I now have the calcium and soda ash in my APEX DOS dosing system. My Apex Neptune is set to dose If calcium drops below 450 and Alk when it drops below 9. I also have a Trident system monitoring everything.

I almost always have 2 bags of Purigen in my sump. I replace 1 bags every two weeks. And I am running PhosGaurd in a reactor. I change that media out every 4 days.
You’re over stripping your tank with purigen and phosguard and your alk it too high.

ScottR

Surfing....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shawn_epicurious How old is your tank? I find SPS much harder to keep in younger tanks as there isn’t much biodiversity. Once RTN strikes, it’s really hard to deal with. But it’s part of the hobby. It’s happened to anyone that’s kept SPS long term. My advice: don’t give up. Start with cheap smaller pieces and keep them healthy, gain confidence and watch them grow.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

its nice you have a "luxury tank" but SPS like acros don't care for how much money you throw at them; you're probably gonna be better off with some aquacultured pieces once you're stable and the tank is matured more, and then maybe if you want to try the MC or wild stuff, wait a bit longer once you know the AC stuff is thriving.

OP
OP
Shawn_epicurious

Shawn_epicurious

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Shawn_epicurious How old is your tank? I find SPS much harder to keep in younger tanks as there isn’t much biodiversity. Once RTN strikes, it’s really hard to deal with. But it’s part of the hobby. It’s happened to anyone that’s kept SPS long term. My advice: don’t give up. Start with cheap smaller pieces and keep them healthy, gain confidence and watch them grow.
8 and a half months old. It does need a bit more maturity. My biodiversity is not bad... my SPS are all very small... they are very new. I have nine other soft corals still and an Anemoe... a very diverse CUC.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 44 35.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 27 21.6%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.2%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 8.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back