I have an idea.....

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone,

So today I was looking on google images of some reef tanks.
I ran across this one,
IMG_4906.JPG

I instantly loved this tank and thought it was super cool how the rock stuck out of the water.
I did some more exploring on tanks like that and came across a few more such as this,
IMG_4905.JPG

Which I also love the air plants out of the water.

This lead me to think of an idea for my tank.
So my tank being tall (24") this look would be hard to achieve as all the tanks I've seen like this have been shallower (10" - 16").
So I came up with the idea of draining my water down so only the pointed part of one rock sticks out, which I could stick air plants on.

Thoughts on this? Remember as of now it's just an idea ;)

wkscott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A saltwater palladium?

Air plants still need water and fertilizer once in a while. Would have to be very careful not to contaminate the tank water. Not an issue with freshwater palladiums.

May be better to consider saltwater tolerant plants that don't need any soil (don't know if there are any.)

You will be decreasing your total water volume which may mean decreasing your stocking level.

Since you won't have a glass or screen top, select fish that won't jump and snails and crabs that won't try to escape.

don_chuwish

Smells something fishy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Having the water level down low would cause various challenges I think: the out of water glass would always look cloudy, never clean & clear, plus how would you manage the overflow & returns to keep it at that level?

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A saltwater palladium?

Air plants still need water and fertilizer once in a while. Would have to be very careful not to contaminate the tank water. Not an issue with freshwater palladiums.

May be better to consider saltwater tolerant plants that don't need any soil (don't know if there are any.)

You will be decreasing your total water volume which may mean decreasing your stocking level.

Since you won't have a glass or screen top, select fish that won't jump and snails and crabs that won't try to escape.
My rocks not out of the tank, here's a picture after a during the water change.
IMG_4908.JPG

Having the water level down low would cause various challenges I think: the out of water glass would always look cloudy, never clean & clear, plus how would you manage the overflow & returns to keep it at that level?

I'm sumpless.... works great for me.
Not sure if the glass would be cloudy and not clean... when I do Water changes it is good dosent get cloudy!

rockhead51

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My rocks not out of the tank, here's a picture after a during the water change.
IMG_4908.JPG

I'm sumpless.... works great for me.
Not sure if the glass would be cloudy and not clean... when I do Water changes it is good dosent get cloudy!
When you do a water change you aren't giving it enough time to cloud up from salt creep, etc...

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the any cons to doing this?
I'm fine cleaning the glass daily.
Other than that I'd like 3 airplants.
I love this tank,
IMG_4868.JPG

Pretty sure it's @Rehype old tank.
Maybe he's got a few suggestions!
Except mines in the tank not out...

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are the any cons to doing this?
I'm fine cleaning the glass daily.
Other than that I'd like 3 airplants.
I love this tank,
IMG_4868.JPG

Pretty sure it's @Rehype old tank.
Maybe he's got a few suggestions!
Except mines in the tank not out...

Yep that was my old tank. The airplants are cool but they don't like alot of light and they also dont like saltwater. So I had to mist them often to remove salt creep but giving them adequate lighting (or i should say lack of) was difficult which ultimately led to their demise. I also had fiddler crabs in this tank but they didnt survive more than a few months. They need the ability to burrow in sand thats exposed at least a portion of the day. So I would say no on those as well. Other than that exposed rock looks really cool and its fun to aquascape.

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep that was my old tank. The airplants are cool but they don't like alot of light and they also dont like saltwater. So I had to mist them often to remove salt creep but giving them adequate lighting (or i should say lack of) was difficult which ultimately led to their demise. I also had fiddler crabs in this tank but they didnt survive more than a few months. They need the ability to burrow in sand thats exposed at least a portion of the day. So I would say no on those as well. Other than that exposed rock looks really cool and its fun to aquascape.
The air plants don't like a lot a light or do? I read somewhere online that the like a lot of light.
Also can you just mist them with RO Water?
Do you see anything bad about me doing this?

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The air plants don't like a lot a light or do? I read somewhere online that the like a lot of light.
Also can you just mist them with RO Water?
Do you see anything bad about me doing this?

They dont like alot of light. Yes you can mist them with RO water but you cant do this too often or it will kill them as well.

OP
OP
Preme

Preme

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They dont like alot of light. Yes you can mist them with RO water but you cant do this too often or it will kill them as well.
Is a ATI sunpower with 3 blue + 1 coral + ran at 85% at its highest pick for 4 hours to much? The rest of the time it's 60% and 40% and going down/ building up from there.

Rehype

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is a ATI sunpower with 3 blue + 1 coral + ran at 85% at its highest pick for 4 hours to much? The rest of the time it's 60% and 40% and going down/ building up from there.

Yes that's too much light.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 17 16.2%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 57 54.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.6%
Back