I HAVE FLATWORMS!! Good or bad kind??

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
HELP! I thought these were the normal amphipods covering the glass of my frag tank, but I seem to have picked up flat worms! Are these dangerous or ok? If dangerous, what kind are they and how can I treat them?

3854A5C4-D02F-4ED0-A394-1D3CB1E74C2D.jpeg

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see pods and maybe see flatworms.. What kinds of corals do you have if any? What kinds of foods do you feed?

Flatworm Exit is a treatment for flatworms.. I have never used it before.

OP
OP
Cassian

Cassian

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see pods and maybe see flatworms.. What kinds of corals do you have if any? What kinds of foods do you feed?

Flatworm Exit is a treatment for flatworms.. I have never used it before.

softies and a few LPS. I feed a homemade food

thanks! If these turn out to be harmful I’ll look into that!

Anchor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they would not make such high populations without corals to eat if they were a harmful species, definitely safe

I would lean to safe but would not go as far as saying safe. If they are crawling the glass then I would not expect them to be unsafe OR it could be they are in such great numbers they have to look to the glass to find food. My take is what kinds of LPS are we talking about? I know there is one that lives on Euphylia in particular.. the heads may still expand but not like they would if there were no flatworms feeding on them.. I guess I would dip that type of coral and see what comes off it.. Umm using.. revive maybe.. something easy enough to use . Be sure to shake the coral in the dip and then just wait and see. SOmeone recently did a You Tube on it.. ahh the guy in COlorado.. . Reef Builders.. I think.

An alternative is having fish you know eat these., like certain Wrasses and maybe a damsel (sorry I didnt mean to swear there), Ummm. ,Mandarin maybe??

king aiptasia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would lean to safe but would not go as far as saying safe. If they are crawling the glass then I would not expect them to be unsafe OR it could be they are in such great numbers they have to look to the glass to find food. My take is what kinds of LPS are we talking about? I know there is one that lives on Euphylia in particular.. the heads may still expand but not like they would if there were no flatworms feeding on them.. I guess I would dip that type of coral and see what comes off it.. Umm using.. revive maybe.. something easy enough to use . Be sure to shake the coral in the dip and then just wait and see. SOmeone recently did a You Tube on it.. ahh the guy in COlorado.. . Reef Builders.. I think.

An alternative is having fish you know eat these., like certain Wrasses and maybe a damsel (sorry I didnt mean to swear there), Ummm. ,Mandarin maybe??
commensal flatworms tend not to do as well away from the host

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Springeri (or however you spell it) damsel will est them and are reef safe. They’re blue with a yellow tail. Super chill fish and awesome for flatworm control.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back