I have no idea what I'm doing!

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I know a little bit, but I ordered a large tank and I am a bit over my head in trying to build out the equipment list. I keep mostly softies now, maybe I'll have a few lps in the new tank. I've been reefing for quite a while, but stopped paying attention to equipment trends a few years ago and had someone else choose most of the equipment on my current 100g tank. I want to be well informed this time.

Tank details: 84x30x21 230g

Flow: I have 2 MP40 QDs now, will these spread wide enough to cover the 30" width? Can they push water 3.5 feet to the middle? The Gyre's seem to be the new popular pump these days but the drawback is you have to clean them more often?

Sump: I'm designing a custom glass sump with Crystal Dynamics but I really don't know what the latest features are and what I should build in to make my life easier. I've read that having the inlet and filter sock section separated makes life easier but other than that I'm just guessing.

Skimmer: How do I make sense of the ratings these days? I was looking at the Octopus Regal 250 which is rated up to 600g with a light bioload or 250g with a heavy bioload. How do I know what a heavy bioload is? Does that mean I have a lot of fish, feed heavy, AND keep sps? Why is there a 350g difference between light and heavy when the SRO 5000 has only 100g difference in the rating between a light and heavy bioload?

Lights: 30" wide and the awkward 7ft length seems hard to find a good, reasonably priced light. I have 2 AI Hydra 26 HDs now over a 48x24x20 tank and I LOVE them - mostly because I never have to think of bulb changes. Now that I'm extending the width by 6" I don't think I can use the 26s anymore. Should I bump it up to Hydra 52s? 3 of them? 4? Maybe find used gen 3 Pro Radions? Or get 2 more Hydra 26 and 2 36" Aquatic life hybrid fixtures and deal with subsequent bulb changes? There are a lot of options that seem like they'll work but I really have no idea if it will properly spread over the 30" width (primarily for softies so this should be easy, right?).

I know it's a long post so I appreciate any help!

Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 7.34.39 AM.png Screen Shot 2019-08-30 at 7.44.33 AM.png

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, sounds like a nice tank. I’ll try to tackle some of the questions and hopefully others will add

I never used Gryes. They do move water, I’ve heard mixed reviews. The 2 mp 40 may be just enough power on high, but 60’s would be better. Or maybe a 3 mp 40 on the back wall. Better over rated and dials down than underrated and running 100%.

Which brings us to skimmers. Again one rated for, or a bit more for the tank is best. I hear a lot of people using Red Sea. There are a few good brands out there. I run nyos. Definitely get one rated at least 250 or above.

Sump looks good. My only thought is why 4 filter socks. That’s a lot of maintenance. 2 - 7 inch would be easier and free up a bit more space.

Lights depend on you goals. 2 26’s over a 48 inch tank is again a bit under. The spread on the 26’s is 24 inches, but best at 18 inches. 4 would be minimum I would use and you may get shadowing . You could run 2 aquatic hybrids with 2 52’s in each. It should give good spread but may keep strongest par limited to a smaller footprint under the light.

Sounds like a good plan and nice tank. Let’s see what others say.

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mastiffsrule I got on the gyre train and you will now find them in the garage in a box of all my spare aquarium parts. MP(insert size here) will most certainly be a better bet.

My advice is to let the tank sit empty until you know exactly what you want to do and feel confident with it. It sucks to see an empty tank begging to be set up.... it sucks even more to regret building it hastily.

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, sounds like a nice tank. I’ll try to tackle some of the questions and hopefully others will add

I never used Gryes. They do move water, I’ve heard mixed reviews. The 2 mp 40 may be just enough power on high, but 60’s would be better. Or maybe a 3 mp 40 on the back wall. Better over rated and dials down than underrated and running 100%.

Which brings us to skimmers. Again one rated for, or a bit more for the tank is best. I hear a lot of people using Red Sea. There are a few good brands out there. I run nyos. Definitely get one rated at least 250 or above.

Sump looks good. My only thought is why 4 filter socks. That’s a lot of maintenance. 2 - 7 inch would be easier and free up a bit more space.

Lights depend on you goals. 2 26’s over a 48 inch tank is again a bit under. The spread on the 26’s is 24 inches, but best at 18 inches. 4 would be minimum I would use and you may get shadowing . You could run 2 aquatic hybrids with 2 52’s in each. It should give good spread but may keep strongest par limited to a smaller footprint under the light.

Sounds like a good plan and nice tank. Let’s see what others say.

Hey, I really appreciate the response!

I chose 4 filter socks partly because I don't know what I'm doing, and partly because I have 20 of them that I bought fairly recently. There must be a reason every large sump comes with 7" socks instead of 4" so it's probably worthwhile to go with 2 7" socks instead.

I know the 26s on my current tank are under the recommendation, but to be honest I'm really happy with them. I keep softies almost exclusively so I'm able to grow corals even in the corners. I wouldn't expect them to work on their own, but my thinking was - if the 26s work for my 24" width, adding 4 t5s should get the other 6".

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, if I were you, I'd just go on BRS and buy some stuff with good ratings and hope for the best. Try to buy it all at once so you don't gotta keep paying for shipping.

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mastiffsrule I got on the gyre train and you will now find them in the garage in a box of all my spare aquarium parts. MP(insert size here) will most certainly be a better bet.

My advice is to let the tank sit empty until you know exactly what you want to do and feel confident with it. It sucks to see an empty tank begging to be set up.... it sucks even more to regret building it hastily.

I've read mixed reviews about the gyres but they look so promising I was hoping the bad reviews were earlier models.

I was told the wait for the tank to be built and delivered is 12+ weeks. I hope that's enough time to research and do this right :)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Mo60 or Neptune WAV would be ideal pumps with a gyre or two.
Three 24” lights or teo 32” and a 24” in center will provide good coverage
On mine I also have light bars in front and rear of tank

ccombs

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've read mixed reviews about the gyres but they look so promising I was hoping the bad reviews were earlier models.

I was told the wait for the tank to be built and delivered is 12+ weeks. I hope that's enough time to research and do this right :)
It is not that they are necessarily bad, they are the perfect solutions in many situations. I saw someone recently do like a 10' skinny tank that separated their kitchen and living room, and from a design aesthetic, needed everything to be at one end. In that case it was perfect.

For most standard sized aquariums I would stick with a solid MP40/60 whatever suites you.

OP
OP
B

bpro32

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the skimmer I can use what I have now until I have a bigger bioload, then I'll upgrade to something more fitting for the size.

For flow, I'll be on the lookout for a used MP60. I'm thinking I can start with one MP60 on one side and 2xMP40 on the other and upgrade to a second MP60 if needed later without much extra effort.

For lights, I need to get this right the first time. I'll be hanging whatever lights I decide on so it is going to be a huge PITA if I have to change them down the road. I really want to make LED only work (no T5 bulb changes). Do you think 6x Hydra 26HD would work? I'm primarily keeping softies and this actually seems reasonably priced since I already have 2.

For the sump design, switch to 7" socks and maybe add a couple inches in length and call it a day?

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 79 44.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 81 46.0%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.1%
Back