Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Not necessary but beneficial for oxygen

kirbuno

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My former tank was a collection of pests, aptasia, gsp, pink pom poms, & Asteria stars. The aptasia trumped the gsp, but the pom poms didn't seem to mind aptasia. This collection though needs light. The aptasia doesn't even need light. They are kinda cool to watch as carnivores.
e1d74ffdc314b59956c561888c93edd8.jpg

Stigigemla

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont forget there are a lot of species within Aiptasia and they differ a little bit. I have had with striped tentacles and other with white stripes around the mouth.
So it is possible to slowly build up a collection.
I would have a little air lift even in a 2 gallon jar to keep the temperature more constant. Without that it is easily cold in the bottom.
You can make the airlift from a 1/2 or 3/4 inch pvc pipe with a 90 degree elbow on top. In the bottom You just insert the air tube from the air pump and its ready.
Adjust the pump to a few bubbles per second and clamp the airlift to a corner with a few stones and it is ready. The elbow should be just at the water level. It dont have to go fast to hold the same temperature in the whole jar.
It is wise to have a marking on the jar where the water level shall be and a bucket of tap water somewhere near. Everyday you have to add a little tap water to keep the level and salinity constant. And from a bucket in the same room you can use cold water (cleaner) thats getting the correct temperature.
Feed the bigger Aiptasias a small pellet a week if You want them to grow. After feeding it is wise to change some saltwater to new mixed. You dont have to have light over the jar. Anywhere in a room will do exept the darkest places and direct sunlight.

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dont forget there are a lot of species within Aiptasia and they differ a little bit. I have had with striped tentacles and other with white stripes around the mouth.
So it is possible to slowly build up a collection.
I would have a little air lift even in a 2 gallon jar to keep the temperature more constant. Without that it is easily cold in the bottom.
You can make the airlift from a 1/2 or 3/4 inch pvc pipe with a 90 degree elbow on top. In the bottom You just insert the air tube from the air pump and its ready.
Adjust the pump to a few bubbles per second and clamp the airlift to a corner with a few stones and it is ready. The elbow should be just at the water level. It dont have to go fast to hold the same temperature in the whole jar.
It is wise to have a marking on the jar where the water level shall be and a bucket of tap water somewhere near. Everyday you have to add a little tap water to keep the level and salinity constant. And from a bucket in the same room you can use cold water (cleaner) thats getting the correct temperature.
Feed the bigger Aiptasias a small pellet a week if You want them to grow. After feeding it is wise to change some saltwater to new mixed. You dont have to have light over the jar. Anywhere in a room will do exept the darkest places and direct sunlight.

yeah... about the jar its 1/2 gallon only.... and im not really planning to build up a collection just one big aiptasia or curly q possibly... in a small jar

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
but is aiptasia the easiest anemone to take care of..? and if i put it in a jar with just an aeration would it survive...?
I think aiptasia will survive even the nuclear holocaust.

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
is it possible to have a seal it completely no aeration no filter just macro algae but with daily water changes

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want aiptasia, just pm me your address and pay the shipping and I will send as much as you want. I have them in all sizes from tiny to huge, just let me know what you want. I'll even throw in some colonial hydroids if you like.

alright im trying to order the jar that its gonna be in i will pm you when it arrives is that alright..?

Purpletank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one in a 2g jar Pico with my NPS. It’s thriving with a air bubbler and a powerhead. (NPS are fed every couple of days.)

Irene

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an aptasia explosion in my tank. It’s like whack a mole trying to get rid of them...
I’m wondering... if they thrive, does that mean that other anemones would also do well? I had a BTA when I first started my tank and it was never happy and later died, and I’ve been afraid to get another one.

OP
OP
mark vincent muriel

mark vincent muriel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently had an aptasia explosion in my tank. It’s like whack a mole trying to get rid of them...
I’m wondering... if they thrive, does that mean that other anemones would also do well? I had a BTA when I first started my tank and it was never happy and later died, and I’ve been afraid to get another one.

probably because its a new tank... and i think what makes aiptaisia so hardy is they dont need light to survive and need little food.. they also loveee a lot of nutrients to the point that its harmful to some anemone and corals

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back