I might have another bobbit worm...

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was feeding my coral today, and this worm came out of the rock to grab some food that had accumulated at the base of one. Its got 4 antennae, it looks to be covered in armor. Right now I would guess it about 3-4 mm thick. I saw about 2 inches of it protruding from the rock. It is extremely light sensitive and darted back at the first hint of my flashlight.

I had another tank a few years ago with rock from this same supplier. I found a bobbit worm in that rock and ended up dismantling the tank because I couldn't get rid of it. That one was a good foot to 2 feet long.

This time the rock this creature is in is isolated from the rest. Its in a bin up off the bottom well away from the rest so the worm is very unlikely to leave it. Once I'm sure what it is I will be killing this thing unless anyone here wants it. The rock is fairly small, maybe 6 x 3 x 3 or so which means it should be easy enough to ship if anyone's into deadly killer worms. -_-

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also for anyone curious about where these deadly worms came from, I ordered both batches of rock from GulfLiveRock.com. Needless to say I don't recommend them.

OP
OP
M

MichelleRay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not attempted to remove it yet. It's living in a piece of rubble in my refugium, which has no substrate. So if you want it I'd be packing that piece of rock up and just sending the whole thing. I can get a picture of the rock if you want one. I'm trying to see if I can see the thing again and make sure it's still there right now, but I see no reason it wouldn't be.

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 31 75.6%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back