I need help! Dolabella sea Wedge

Jnyhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I need help with this one. I've had this sea Wedge hare for about 6 months and all of a sudden, two days ago, this weird blue thing came out of the side of its head! Almost like out of its mouth! I don't know what this is but it is prohibiting him from eating. I think it's gonna die! Anyone ever seen this before?

20210109_165639.jpg 20210109_165615.jpg

OP
OP
Jnyhart

Jnyhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello and welcome to R2R!

Does it move? Could it be pulled off with tweezers?
It does move but it's coming out of its body, next to the mouth. The hare is alive but not moving around or eating as normal.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

We've had a couple of cases of this here recently. Turns out, that is its male reproductive organ. Sea hares posses both male and female reproductive parts, with the female organ down the middle of its body on the same side.

That said, I can't tell you why this is extended and not retracting (they usually do after a short time).

Jay

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It is organ and waste expels off its back
Eggs looks like spaghetti/noodle string mass

OP
OP
Jnyhart

Jnyhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi there
Did your Sea Hare make it?
Just curious.

Did your Sea Hare make it?
Just curious.
Hi! Believe it or not, it is still alive. It's been difficult to see but this blue "thing" is protruding out the side of its "face" and it seems that his mouth is attached to one side of it. I don't believe it's eating. We do see that the hare can sort of shrink this thing but it never goes back into its body at all. So weird. I'm just sad because we don't know what to do for him. Thanks for asking. We shall see how long he survives this.

OP
OP
Jnyhart

Jnyhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha
He's definitely very happy to see you! It's too bad there is not another in the tank to breed with.
He's like this 24/7! Poor guy, literally has blue balls.... Lol. We didn't wanna get another in case he made a come back but algea is getting bad and maybe it wouldn't hurt to get another and see what happens.....

Rubberfrog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha

He's like this 24/7! Poor guy, literally has blue balls.... Lol. We didn't wanna get another in case he made a come back but algea is getting bad and maybe it wouldn't hurt to get another and see what happens.....
All kidding aside, I would seriously consider another. At the very least, I would look into what is necessary for breeding.

OP
OP
Jnyhart

Jnyhart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All kidding aside, I would seriously consider another. At the very least, I would look into what is necessary for breeding.
I agree, I have scoured the internet to find anything about this issues but it I haven't found anything! Seems like breeding or mating will be something to try next. Thanks!

Back