spotted jawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have Canon Power Shot G9.

Can I buy macro lens for it?

What will be a good lens for it?

If some one have this camera can help me with some tricks.

Thanks

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same camera. The flower button is the setting for taking macro pics.

Last edited:

dan10342

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Canon powershot Point and shoot type camera?

Macro lenses are for DSLR and SLR cameras.

thewackyreefer

(formerly luvmyacans)
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have a setting to auto-adjust the white balance or you may be able to manually set it. That will be the key to getting your colors correct. Then you'd want to shoot in macro mode for the close-ups.

OP
OP
spotted jawfish

spotted jawfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want more solid color or more clear view. Like it look in my tank

This is the best I can do. This is with macro option and ISO 600

IMG_3750-1.jpg

coralfarm123

INDMAS Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try some top down pics if you can turn you pumps off. To get started, use the auto mode and auto ISO with the macro feature on and flash off. Shooting pics through the glass can be tough unless you are putting the camera directly against the glass.

Red Planet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your ISO down to 100 as it will provide for a better depth of field. Since your camera has limited settings you will want to take the best picture you can with your ISO that low, then use a post editing program for the rest.

If you look at the picture above you will notice that it is super blue. Even with say a basic photo program such as iPhoto for Mac. This program can give you a multitude of different settings to adjust. You will be able to take out much of the blue, sharpen, adjust contract, saturation (Don't get crazy), and hue with iPhoto.

As was mentioned below... Shooting through the glass is extremely difficult with a P&S camera as the glass distorts what the lens see's.

My Camera Setup:

Canon T1i - 15.1mp - DSLR
Canon Stock 18-55mm IS lens
Macro Filter Kit
Tri-pod
Canon Remote Shutter button

Here are some examples
IMG_3199.jpg
of my work...
IMG_3200.jpg

IMG_3208.jpg

IMG_3207.jpg

IMG_3198.jpg

Myteemouse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take your ISO down to 100 as it will provide for a better depth of field. Since your camera has limited settings you will want to take the best picture you can with your ISO that low, then use a post editing program for the rest.
Not trying to start a argument here BUT ISO is NOT for Depth of filed. its for the amount of light picked up by the camera.. Low ISO usually gets less noise on the pic, but with a lower iso you'll need to lower your f stop or slow down your shutter speed to get the pic to come out ..
F-STOP is depth of field.. lower f-stop small depth or field (focus depth) larger F-stop. more of the item being captured is in focus.

Last edited:

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a canon powershot s90 and can get pics like this

IMG_6487.jpg

IMG_6478.jpg

IMG_3064.jpg

I know thats not a coral, just giving example pics

Its really easy, but takes a alot of words to explain,give me a minute to type this....

KLR

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is according to how my camera is set up, shouldnt be too differant from yours

1.Once your camera is on go to program, the P on your camera if it has 1, then go to your focuses, mine are (from left to right) macro, normal,manual....go to manual

2.Hit the FUNC. SET button, go down to the white balances(WB), then scroll until you find the fish,clickt the fish,and your camera is now in underwater mode, oferring better coloration for corals,fish,rocks,etc.

3.As you are still on the white balances clik the DISP. button, it should take you to a color square, blue on the left,green top,red right, and magenta bottom, move the dot around until you find what color you want

For example: My tank is red due to a red bulb, so i put my color on 1 blue one green,and it cancels out the red

4.Exit out and find whatever you want to take a picture of, click manual focus again, then scroll up and down until you find the right focus, if you get it exactly right your photo will look really really clear

5.Take your photo, change brightness if needed

For led shots follow the same steps but when you go to underwater mode go to Custom White Balance, set the whiteness to something at the top of your tank thats white

Also for led shots i do 8 red 1 green or 9 red color combo, depending on the coral

Hope i helped!

OCREEFMASTER

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not trying to start a argument here BUT ISO is NOT for Depth of filed. its for the amount of light picked up by the camera.. Low ISO usually gets less noise on the pic, but with a lower iso you'll need to lower your f stop or slow down your shutter speed to get the pic to come out ..
F-STOP is depth of field.. lower f-stop small depth or field (focus depth) larger F-stop. more of the item being captured is in focus.

My fault I confused the two. Sorry.

jerl77

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have the g9 and love set you white balance to the tank dont use atuo pic will not come looking like anything in the tank lol manuel set the white balance and the best way is to play around with it you will get the hang of it for sure

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 159 57.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.8%
Back