I Really Really Really want to see a Triggerfish/Lionfish Dominant tank

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well good so far. Been a few weeks an things are ok. Only thing I noticed was my lion actually goes after my Picasso. Kinda funny to watch just hope it don't get serious.
1470572434351-9339473.jpg

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
An can I take the background off an let natural sunlight in with out to May problems

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just wondering if someone could help me figure out what kind of anemone this is. I was told when I bought it it was a mini maxi carpet but when I looked it up they look nothing alike
1470575205203-9339473.jpg

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been about a month now an all my tank mates seem to be getting along. I have a Niger trigger,piccoso trigger,foxface rabbit,panther grouper,volitaine lion, an a snowflake eel in a 125g an they don't bother each other. Knock on wood it stays that way but for now its enjoyable to watch. Any thoughts?

Mistborn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well it has been about a month now an all my tank mates seem to be getting along. I have a Niger trigger,piccoso trigger,foxface rabbit,panther grouper,volitaine lion, an a snowflake eel in a 125g an they don't bother each other. Knock on wood it stays that way but for now its enjoyable to watch. Any thoughts?
only worried about the picasso

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Glad you are enjoying it, it's a fun mix. My 1st thought is make sure to manage your nitrates; 20 can turn to 30 can turn to 40 in no time, then you are behind the 8 ball. At some point you might have to do larger and/or more frequent water changes, or one of the nitrate reducing protocols. One day you'll go "holy cow" and that panther will be taking up 20% of the glass in front of you, and you'll know it's time for a bigger tank or find him a new home. Just watch the triggers, as they grow they will start to feel crowded in, that's when they get dangerous. The picasso grows slowly and his habits should be fine for quite a while. The niger grows faster and he tends to want more territory as he grows. Little territorial disputes are no big deal, just watch if one of them seems to be a bit more relentless. These guys to seem to build up over time so you'll have time to catch anything before it gets too bad.

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am already talking to a few people about the grouper because he will grow fast but I got him from a friend who had mager tank problems an didn't want to see him die. Then again I have been getting a little attached so I might just look into a 180g or do you think he needs bigger? Then again I would like to get into some corals an I don't think any of them will be to compatable except the foxface? Not sure what to do, kinda torn between reef an predator tank.

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question on the tank though, I just installed a aqueon proflex 4 sump on the tank an wondering How long it will have to be up an running before I take the canister filter out an be comfortable that it will sustaine the tank or get established?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question on the tank though, I just installed a aqueon proflex 4 sump on the tank an wondering How long it will have to be up an running before I take the canister filter out an be comfortable that it will sustaine the tank or get established?

What is in the canister, if you have any biological media you can bag it up and put it in your sump. Same with any other media like chemipure etc; everything just goes in the sump now. Your live rock in the tank will also be supporting.

Enjoy the tank you have now now and just let it evolve. I've had more tanks than I can count. Upsized, downsized, combined, split, reef, fowlr, species.

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think I can just take the canister out now an just let the sump do its thing? Do I have to worry about biological establishment in the sump since it was just installed? Thanks for the heads up

eatbreakfast

Fish Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So you think I can just take the canister out now an just let the sump do its thing? Do I have to worry about biological establishment in the sump since it was just installed? Thanks for the heads up
Gradually remove the media that is in the canister. You don't want to upset the biological filtration too quickly.

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing in the canister is carbon, ceramic rings, and the filter pad, so I guess I would ask what an when do I remove? Do I add any additional reactors besides whats in there?

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only thing in the canister is carbon, ceramic rings, and the filter pad, so I guess I would ask what an when do I remove? Do I add any additional reactors besides whats in there?

Bag the ceramic rings and put them in good area to flow through in the sump, that is already established and your sump will just be replacing the canister. If you like running carbon, bag some up and put it in a good flow also. Your filter sock will replace the filter pad. Your canister is now replaced and nothing is upset. Depending on how much rock you have in the display some people add more rock, or various bio media in their sump for more surface area to grow beneficial bacteria. How about a protein skimmer.

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bag the ceramic rings and put them in good area to flow through in the sump, that is already established and your sump will just be replacing the canister. If you like running carbon, bag some up and put it in a good flow also. Your filter sock will replace the filter pad. Your canister is now replaced and nothing is upset. Depending on how much rock you have in the display some people add more rock, or various bio media in their sump for more surface area to grow beneficial bacteria. How about a protein skimmer.

David Engh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a sea cyclone 100 that was hanging on the back that I put in the return box.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 100 75.2%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 11.3%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.0%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back