I really wish....

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont see it that way. Might be thinking about this too much. I dont see this becoming an issue. If it does, then remove it. Plan and simple.

Maybe someone's feelings might get hurt if they aren't considered a "PRO" even though they think they are. If that's the case then I can't help that.

Ive seen it done in other platform, it works at the start as you get really good advice from people with good experience, at the same time it kills the platform as this kills interaction in between reefers. And as time goes by the experts start to get moody some times aggressive towards the members as they get tired of replying to the same old questions all day long for free. They also try and embarrass anyone that tries to chime in a thread we’re they giving advice.

you see we’re am going with this? Better advice equals to no members. No members no sponsors. No sponsors no forum.

Besides randy doing a dam good job why change it?

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive seen it done in other platform, it works at the start as you get really good advice from people with good experience, at the same time it kills the platform as this kills interaction in between reefers. And as time goes by the experts start to get moody some times aggressive towards the members as they get tired of replying to the same old questions all day long for free. They also try and embarrass anyone that tries to chime in a thread we’re they giving advice.

you see we’re am going with this? Better advice equals to no members. No members no sponsors. No sponsors no forum.

No sps pros or expert. Just a way to check the person’s credibility that’s giving advice. I don’t see how that’s a bad idea

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think we just need less “whine” and we’ll be ok here. :p

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyones credibility is the advice itself

Have you ever had a conversation with an inexperienced LFS, Petco, etc employee? I am talking about the one that talks a good game but gives bad advice to newbies??

If not, I will give examples. When I first started out, I had an employee at Petco tell me to pour the API Alkalinty test directly into the tank water and look for the color to change. SMH
At LFS's I had employees tell me I didn't need to dip anything, don't need to test, sell me a bicolor angel because it doesn't eat coral only to find out they do eat Coral and I had to scoop it out the next day and destroy the whole tank while my arm was in a sling from surgery, salinity doesn't matter,etc.

I know now who to listen to. The problem was I was new and listened to them because of it. This would be good for newer hobbyist to stay away from certain information.

Dont get me wrong, I am for the "NON-PRO" badge as well if needed. LOL

Last edited:

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No sps pros or expert. Just a way to check the person’s credibility that’s giving advice. I don’t see how that’s a bad idea
Rating system would take away someone’s “pro status” someone gives credible and valuable information to the thread or user and gets a 5star review.. ultimately if your knowledgeable about a certain topic wether or not you’re a “pro or expert”

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There was a disease “expert” over on RC that was super annoying, acting just like how you’re describing.

I think any expert or pro designation will be annoying.

schuby

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since no one knows the absolute correct course of action for someone else's tank, we should be sharing our similar experiences. I'd only take advice if multiple people did it with positive results. I only hold myself responsible for the good and bad in my tank.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly this is absurd. So yes you could be wrong and you are wrong. You’re taking a few things you don’t like and that you "perceive" and you're throwing out all the rest of the good this community does for the hobby. You literally have NO IDEA about what we do to bring in experts, good information, the best software and addons that we have had developed and so much more. The only people that get alienated here are the ones who alienate themselves by not following the rules, causing trouble, or have an axe to grind. Trust me if this was all about the money I could have sold this place a long time ago my friend! Why don't people like you start helping make this community better by helping instead of complaining and casting judgment all the time? You ready to get your hands dirty for the good of the community or are you just content in finding the bad in all those who are working to make it better?
tenor.gif

stephj03

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I doubt this is possible but what would help me gauge another reefer trying to help me out would be a reaction type score related to likes from others reefers that were previously helped by them.

I can click on any profile and see if ppl like how they post, but that doesn't mean a lot.

Clicking on a profile and seeing a score that says 125 other reefers threw this guy a like bc he helped them on on their SPS journey would normalize credibility to me.

Even if a user only had a few posts, I'd be able to see that when they do, they make a difference.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we just need less “whine” and we’ll be ok here. :p

IMO this forum is the best World Wide hands off, you’ve earlier asked for suggestions that could improve it further. Have you considered opening the sales for international reefers? I believe this could bring more reefers to the forum, the United Kingdom is a big country and we all speak the same language ;)

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rating system would take away someone’s “pro status” someone gives credible and valuable information to the thread or user and gets a 5star review.. ultimately if your knowledgeable about a certain topic wether or not you’re a “pro or expert”
Every time I've seen something like this tried it becomes a popularity contest and isn't always reflective of the persons knowledge.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The "PRO" could be a bad choice long run, I just don't know. Just trying to throw out ideas to help with the OP's original question. I wouldn't want a system in place that would cause the user to be bombard or harrassed with a lot of questions. However, I do agree there should be something to help newer users get the right answers to their questions.

The system doesn't need to be set up as a popularity thing. I look at Dana and Randy and respect them and understand why theirs says expert.

If they went the route with something like a PRO badge then it just helps with the vetting process. The person would need to be recommended by others and have proof of success, etc.

I agree though. I don't want anything to become toxic to this platform.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbyists on this site complaining that they are pros and need a special badge for themselves just seems a little ridiculous from my point of view. Especially when said hobbyist doesn't even use the build thread badge where their supposed “experience” would be easily found.

I know who to pay attention to on this site. Many of them are in this thread that have helped me in the past and I’m sure will do so in the future, I thank them and R2R for that.

Most of them have build threads that people can read and follow. They show the ups and downs, the real reefing experience.

JCOLE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hobbyists on this site complaining that they are pros and need a special badge for themselves just seems a little ridiculous from my point of view. Especially when said hobbyist doesn't even use the build thread badge where their supposed “experience” would be easily found.

I know who to pay attention to on this site. Many of them are in this thread that have helped me in the past and I’m sure will do so in the future, I thank them and R2R for that.

Most of them have build threads that people can read and follow. They show the ups and downs, the real reefing experience.

I think that's the point of the OP's issue. It's something to help the newer users. You and I know who to listen to on the forum. The new user that just bought their tank last week might not though. There is a chance they will have wrong information given to them and they won't know. I am all for sustainability of this hobby and if that means keeping people in it for the long haul then I am all for whatever it takes to help that.

I agree the "PRO" might be taken a different way. Just trying to throw out ideas to help.

SMSREEF

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that's the point of the OP's issue. It's something to help the newer users. You and I know who to listen to on the forum. The new user that just bought their tank last week might not though. There is a chance they will have wrong information given to them and they won't know. I am all for sustainability of this hobby and if that means keeping people in it for the long haul then I am all for whatever it takes to help that.

I agree the "PRO" might be taken a different way. Just trying to throw out ideas to help.
Yet there is the main tool of Build Thread the OP is not using that would give new hobbyists and even season hobbyists a way to judge OP’s advice.

I just think before we start complaining about things that are not here, we should use the tools that are.

Erick Armanii

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the age of the member?
“Member since 2010”
“Member since 2020”

Or show the reaction score next to there name.
This would also help with the sales section too. Ever seen a deal that was too good to be true? Check the profile only to see this is their first post, no reactions, no other threads etc..

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly the upvoting of the best answers is going to help solve this problem and also allow other members to be able to offer their advice and opinions. Let’s see how that works first.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 49 34.5%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 30 21.1%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 7.7%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 37 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back