I really wish....

Dcal

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First off I mean no disrespect this is just my point of view...

For me when I'm looking for an answer I love when responses take the traditional scientific method of explaining their reasoning and how they came to their answer and fully disclosing their experiences. I have no problem with someone recommending a piece of equipment of which they have 0 experience with if they disclose that by saying "I have never personally used XXXX but I know a lot of people hold it in high regard..." rather than just saying its good.

The same goes for water chemistry recommendations. I value a response that says "I have done XXXX for this many years with this livestock and this has worked for me" rather than 0 background information on how that person got to believe their opinion is correct.

There is no one correct solution for everyone's aquariums and as addressed earlier advice is not a one size fits all.

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a "Reef of the Month" and sticky to main page with journal write up, not necessarily a link to thread, but an article. This is the one thing the other site did to keep audience in suspense. Heck, Zeovit did the same with TOTQ. R2R was on to something with reef of day, but to me, that's too challenging to find prestige on the daily, not really sustainable, but monthly or quarterly, now you know who pros are. This would also attract MANY tanks around the world to R2R. Just a thought :)

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am in the minority, but I am not a huge fan of most build threads since they are more often a way to show-off than to educate or teach. You all know the ones where people take pictures of the UPS person delivering their boxes and then stacking their new gear on the table (flossing), contemplating about blue or red PVC, and then never really getting around to reefing at much of a clip.

SUP?

:p

20200812_113330.jpg

This thread though.... I cheesed many times scrolling through all these posts.

Nice one @Chaswood79

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SUP?

:p

20200812_113330.jpg

This thread though.... I cheesed many times scrolling through all these posts.

Nice one @Chaswood79
Uhhh first off
Good morning
Second, Where in the heck have you been
And lastly, were you referring to something specific or just this masterpiece thread in general?

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get that you want expert advice, thats nice but there are several thousand members here, most are new, the experts you seek are also helping them. Or have not seen your post and have yet to respond.

I am sorry your not getting the responces you need.
So yes I feel your being petty.

I dont care if its owned by someone or not.
This site is open to the public is it not?
Umm yea so your going to get a mirad of expieriance here.

If you guys cant handle this and dont want inexpierianced responces then I highly recomend starting your own site and only allow people who have at least 10 years of proven expieriance that you can confirm to join.

This way you will be able to avoid the low lifes down here in the rank and file.
No need to see yet another post on best saltmix or cycling.

Oh and by the way glad to see your NOT a R2R suporter. So whatever you get out of this site is free for you.
So IMO you have no right to complain.
At least Chaswood79 is a suporter, oh ya so am I..

Reason I don't financially support R2R is because of attitudes like this. I support R2R with my knowledge. When people get good advice they stick around and support the forums and hobby. When people get bad advice they fail and bail the hobby. Do I need to flowchart that? Not concerned about somebody's, uh, self esteem issues.

You pay for a special badge, and then claim its an open forum? The hypocrisy is pretty thick here. This isn't a 501c. Reef Central used to let their "supporters" flag posts they disagree with and ban members they didnt like for petty things. I would like to think R2R is better than that, but havent been here long enough. I also have no idea what the site owner does with membership fees. Its his business in any respect. Not yours.

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Uhhh first off
Good morning
Second, Where in the heck have you been
And lastly, were you referring to something specific or just this masterpiece thread in general?

Good morning,
Been really busy with work, haven't been able to be on as much.
and I was referring to this whole masterpiece in general.
Some pretty funny posts in here, also Im in full support of a "third finger" reaction button
:D

Brandon McHenry

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
Some pretty funny posts in here, also Im in full support of a "third finger" reaction button
So are we counting thumbs as fingers? :p

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reason I don't financially support R2R is because of attitudes like this. I support R2R with my knowledge. When people get good advice they stick around and support the forums and hobby. When people get bad advice they fail and bail the hobby. Do I need to flowchart that? Not concerned about somebody's, uh, self esteem issues.

You pay for a special badge, and then claim its an open forum? The hypocrisy is pretty thick here. This isn't a 501c. Reef Central used to let their "supporters" flag posts they disagree with and ban members they didnt like for petty things. I would like to think R2R is better than that, but havent been here long enough. I also have no idea what the site owner does with membership fees. Its his business in any respect. Not yours.

The last time I checked sites like these cost money to operate.
The bills cant be paid with words.

Most sites in todays world, UNLIKE R2R basically have two websites in one.
First is for the looky-loo's that want to see what the site is all about, but they have very limited site access, basically read only and limited search capabilities, then they have the membership area that is a monthly or annual subscription that expires. This allows full access to searches and full correspondence privilege's.

Here on R2R.
Does one have to be vetted to join for full access? No.
Does one have to pay to join for full access? No.
Do they have to own an Aquarium to join for full access? No.
Can anyone on the planet with a computer and internet access join if they choose and get full access? Yes.
So in what way is this not an open forum?

So yes R2R is an open forum.

Now to the bread and butter point.

Just like any business R2R, Restaurants, Grocery Stores, Department Stores, any and all Service providers, ETC., have the right to refuse to do business with a person, or do they not? Does this make all business closed?
Yes, I understand it is up to the individual who owns and or operates the site or business based on their own PERSONAL preferences, do they not have the right?

Do you have the right to allow or not allow anyone into your home or business for whatever reason you so desire? This is your right, but I guess this right is not allowed to be extended to others? It makes no difference if its a non-profit or for profit.

I guess your attempting to make the point, that you feel R2R is not open as R2R does not allow individuals to, comment on another individual negatively or discuss other things like religion or politics basically.

So in your life when a religious group, salesperson, or other whatever business, comes to your door, calls or texts, your phone, you should stand and listen even if your diabolically opposed.
This is ok and justified, but you will not allow the other person or business owner the privilege to do the same. So your not "open" as well, I am sorry but I disagree with your point here.

I understand your truthful point of the membership base, is the most important factor of a successful site like R2R.
That the sites experienced and expert membership, that cares to share their knowledge and success is critical to that sites success.
But this is a voluntary choice.
If your a general member with experience and expertise, and you choose to share your advice, awesome give yourself a pat on the back.
You can also chose to discount bad advice given by another by posting your reasoning as to why it is bad.
How does the membership know an individual member is an expert in a particular area?
You have been here a short time as you say.
You also feel your knowledge is worth listening to, ok but how do we know that?
There is nothing vetting yourself in your profile.

Last edited:

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Make a "Reef of the Month" and sticky to main page with journal write up, not necessarily a link to thread, but an article. This is the one thing the other site did to keep audience in suspense. Heck, Zeovit did the same with TOTQ. R2R was on to something with reef of day, but to me, that's too challenging to find prestige on the daily, not really sustainable, but monthly or quarterly, now you know who pros are. This would also attract MANY tanks around the world to R2R. Just a thought :)

I completely agree and I remember when the tank of the month was something I looked forward to so often and read so many times. It really does bring views to the sites that do it well.
And this thread brought a lot of ideas out, I really didn’t see that coming, I thought it was just a Sunday troll post from chaswood to get some posts popping for those of us bored at home on the weekend :). I think it was the weekend if I remember right at least...

Perry

Follow me on IG- perrys_reef
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I completely agree and I remember when the tank of the month was something I looked forward to so often and read so many times. It really does bring views to the sites that do it well.
And this thread brought a lot of ideas out, I really didn’t see that coming, I thought it was just a Sunday troll post from chaswood to get some posts popping for those of us bored at home on the weekend :). I think it was the weekend if I remember right at least...

Yes, to me it sort of works out the kinks regarding what @Chaswood79 is eluding to, but also gives those who's reefs are outstanding a platform in which to discuss their path to success. This gives the reader a sense of what it takes to endeavor sps tanks. It's not for everyone, and I agree, we want all reefers to have success, despite the many varying ways of getting there. I think the missing component these days is research, tbh.... For anyone embarking on sps, I feel it takes a desire for research, not posting questions that you could have already answered through a simple search here, or google, or if you prefer video, youtube. When I began sps, I was only 1 year in to keeping salt, I caught the bug early, and spent many hours lurking, reading threads, finding successful reefers. This included reading several TOTM and TOTQ articles. In an instant society, I find many want to have someone tell them, mentor them, or coach them to success, but not taking the time to learn their reef for themselves. I mean, if you want to take your sps collection, and switch to a bac driven system, with thousands of dollars of livestock on the line, shouldn't you at least read the user guide? You would be surprised, how many people will arbitrarily put things in their tanks, without any research whatsoever. I most certainly am not one to follow, it will flat out wear you down, lol, and I like it that way, I am not trying to fit into a cookie cut style of reefing. Also, I am humble about this hobby, because even the BEST have failures, crashes, losses, or hearbreaks regarding their reef, if you have been doing this long enough, you will be humbled by this hobby, period!

minus9

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yes, to me it sort of works out the kinks regarding what @Chaswood79 is eluding to, but also gives those who's reefs are outstanding a platform in which to discuss their path to success. This gives the reader a sense of what it takes to endeavor sps tanks. It's not for everyone, and I agree, we want all reefers to have success, despite the many varying ways of getting there. I think the missing component these days is research, tbh.... For anyone embarking on sps, I feel it takes a desire for research, not posting questions that you could have already answered through a simple search here, or google, or if you prefer video, youtube. When I began sps, I was only 1 year in to keeping salt, I caught the bug early, and spent many hours lurking, reading threads, finding successful reefers. This included reading several TOTM and TOTQ articles. In an instant society, I find many want to have someone tell them, mentor them, or coach them to success, but not taking the time to learn their reef for themselves. I mean, if you want to take your sps collection, and switch to a bac driven system, with thousands of dollars of livestock on the line, shouldn't you at least read the user guide? You would be surprised, how many people will arbitrarily put things in their tanks, without any research whatsoever. I most certainly am not one to follow, it will flat out wear you down, lol, and I like it that way, I am not trying to fit into a cookie cut style of reefing. Also, I am humble about this hobby, because even the BEST have failures, crashes, losses, or hearbreaks regarding their reef, if you have been doing this long enough, you will be humbled by this hobby, period!
Exactly! When I worked in the retail/wholesale side of the hobby in the 90's, I used to get new customers all the time and they would ask about what they needed to start a tank. I would simply walk them over to the book section and handed them a couple books. I told them, if after reading these books, you're still interested in the hobby, then come back and we can get started and if you find that it's too complicated, then you spent $40 to find out it's not for you and gained some knowledge without spending hundreds, if not thousands and abandoning the hobby with a bitter attitude towards it. I would lose a few customers here and there, but I can live with that, but the customers I gained, knew that they could trust me and that I had their's and the livestock's best interest at heart. If you're not willing to put in the effort, then keeping a reef tank, let alone any animal, isn't for you.
It's funny, but last year at the West Coast RAP, I was standing next to a vendor who was selling a frag of sps and the guy buying it asked what it was and the vendor replied, "heliopora", without hesitation, I turned around and corrected the vendor and educated the buyer. I wasn't snarky, but I thought, how can a vendor not know what he was selling? Seriously, how long have you been in the hobby and not know that particular species? And you're a vendor? Sorry, the veterans will know what I'm talking about.
Did I get off topic again? Must be this triple digit heat here in SoCal?

Last edited:

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think we just need less “whine” and we’ll be ok here. :p

Had to just say hi. This has to be one of the better, productive conversation threads I have seen.

I hope he was kidding about less wine.. I cannot be part of any forum that promotes that mesage ;Nailbiting

1597447930732.jpeg

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not saying we judge the community - I'm saying that allowing only people with gorgeous established tanks to answer questions in the newbie forum (or any forum) Is a terrible idea.

It's not that the seasoned reefer is cocky, it's just that when they have an issue in their tank, it's almost always a completely different thing than when a newbie has a similar looking issue.

IE, a hair algae outbreak in a 2 month old tank is a very different thing than a hair algae outbreak in a 2 year old tank or a 10 year old tank - and the advice that the guy with the 10 year old tank has used in his last couple algae outbreaks is often not suitable for a new tank.

The best person to give advice to the guy with a hair algae outbreak in his 2 month old tank is the guy with the 4 month old tank who no longer has hair algae.
that last line makes sense if its an experienced reefer. It does not make sense if that is the persons first tank.
I don't see it as complaining. I see it as a good observation to try and make an area of our hobby that is seriously lacking better overall. If more hobbyist across the board are better equipped from the start then the better it will be for our hobby.

While I agree about the Build Thread, sometimes it doesn't apply though. Someone could have a lot of knowledge and experience but could be going through a new build. Their build thread might have one or two pages of basic info which wouldn't prove anything. Also, some people probably dont want to spend a great deal of time on a build thread to get one or two views every now and then. I should know, I am one of them ;)
I know those feels bro. Feels pathetic when you get to page 2 or 3 and its on been you and 1 other reply. The threads that do best are ones that share more of their personal lives or are cute women. Nothing wrong with that but kind of proves @jda point.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that last line makes sense if its an experienced reefer. It does not make sense if that is the persons first tank.

I know those feels bro. Feels pathetic when you get to page 2 or 3 and its on been you and 1 other reply. The threads that do best are ones that share more of their personal lives or are cute women. Nothing wrong with that but kind of proves @jda point.
Haha. I wanted to comment Wednesday that threads usually only get this much traction when it’s from attractive females, but I didn’t. Didn’t want to get into trouble. So glad I didn’t.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good morning,
maybe it could be in a Mickey Mouse glove so that it fits the family friendly vibe

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 12 75.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 4 25.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 2 12.5%
Back