I really wish....

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha. I wanted to comment Wednesday that threads usually only get this much traction when it’s from attractive females, but I didn’t. Didn’t want to get into trouble. So glad I didn’t.
Wait... you’re a guy? So... so you catfished me? You sent me pictures too!!! I feel so... so... CHEATED! I thought “it” was REAL!!! You’re a chaetobag!!!!
723BB02F-D84E-4FFC-843E-DD28FD4EB473.jpeg

NDIrish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a noobie here. First i would like to say thanks to R2R to have a decent place to find people who love doing the same thing and for the people on here for their help. At the end of the day I think you guys are great help.
People has to realize that as many people that's on R2R their is going to be so many different personalities on here.
I like to search first to find the answer. I like to know the how and why's to help me better understand what's going on for future reference.
What's frustrating is when I find a thread and start reading, then someone hijacks the thread then it gets sidetracked, the original OP's question never gets answered so I never see what the resolution is.
What would be helpful to me, is either an info button or at the beginning of the build thread what size of tank, methodology they're using and type of SPS.
For the new people, to start a build thread with the type of tank they would like to end up with. I know things change or they're not sure. At the beginning we don't know what methodology we will end using.
Instead if answering the same question 100 times, setup a sticky thread for the different ways to cycle a new tank and if someone asks, just type the link to the thread.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree why not only allow vetted and experienced reefers do the upvoting. If I as a noob was able to answer correctly something about chemistry, then RHF would be able to upvote, allowing him to not have to answer the question. This might allow the upvoting concept to not become a popularity contest and also help out the experts by not having to answer the same question over and over.

BAUCE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@revhtree why not only allow vetted and experienced reefers do the upvoting. If I as a noob was able to answer correctly something about chemistry, then RHF would be able to upvote, allowing him to not have to answer the question. This might allow the upvoting concept to not become a popularity contest and also help out the experts by not having to answer the same question over and over.
thats a decent idea. How do people prove they are experienced? There's definetely a handful of people in this forum that I could suggest.

Ippyroy

Defeater of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats a decent idea. How do people prove they are experienced? There's definetely a handful of people in this forum that I could suggest.
That is part of the vetting process. You should be able to recommend someone and then whoever can decide if they are "worthy" of it. No badges needed and they can remain in the shadows so they wouldn't become inundated with PMs unless they want to. It would stop it from becoming popularity contests and still give us a chance to get good and helpful answers.

K7BMG

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have an upvoting system.
There's a thumbs up and a two thumbs up under the like tab.

I use this to see if the post is valid or not.

If I see several thumbs up then I know its good advice.
If there's nothing well ........

Doctorgori

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the original post and stopped there , will read the rest after this post:

Elite-ism in this hobby often bothers me, who is to say who is a expert; nice tank pics or not.
What happens VERY often is 4-6 so called “Expert” reefers buddy up online and pm each other to death in a techie butt sniffing mele’

..and as for tank pics for proof: sorry but I’m not impressed by one rock, and 60 purple/pink acros with 50 sq/ft ft of white pristine sand lit by blue light (TBH I actually love many tanks with that look, and I’m doing an “minimalist” type build now, but..) Yes, colorful acros is a step in difficulty above softies but hardly warrants awarding “expert” status IMO

I was in the armed forces and was lucky to maintain a tank for 2yrs straight. NTM water damage/new floors and uncontrollable things like power outages. I have crashed a tank outta stupidity but often luck/circumstances plays some roll...

Ken, amateur reefer since 1988 with TANK pics!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I read the original post and stopped there , will read the rest after this post:

Elite-ism in this hobby often bothers me, who is to say who is a expert; nice tank pics or not.
What happens VERY often is 4-6 so called “Expert” reefers buddy up online and pm each other to death in a techie butt sniffing mele’

..and as for tank pics for proof: sorry but I’m not impressed by one rock, and 60 purple/pink acros with 50 sq/ft ft of white pristine sand lit by blue light (TBH I actually love many tanks with that look, and I’m doing an “minimalist” type build now, but..) Yes, colorful acros is a step in difficulty above softies but hardly warrants awarding “expert” status IMO

I was in the armed forces and was lucky to maintain a tank for 2yrs straight. NTM water damage/new floors and uncontrollable things like power outages. I have crashed a tank outta stupidity but often luck/circumstances plays some roll...

Elite-ism bothers you but you have the identifier “doctor“ in your profile name? Alrighty then. I hope you enjoy the thread.

Graffiti Spot

Cat and coral maker
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identifying yourself as a doctor is a form of elitism?
I stopped reading many pages ago and just checked in for a post or two. I don’t see how any of these ideas are worth experimenting with. The board is just fine ime. Everyone’s opinion should be just that, an opinion, it’s all advice in the end.

SeaDweller

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

There’s elite-ism in life in general, let alone this hobby. I agree with you about not needing an “expert” designator/monicker, but come on... AAAAAA step above softies?

stick to your softies, doc.

OP
OP
Charlie’s Frags

Charlie’s Frags

Follow me on Instagram @Charlies Frags
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Identifying yourself as a doctor is a form of elitism?
I stopped reading many pages ago and just checked in for a post or two. I don’t see how any of these ideas are worth experimenting with. The board is just fine ime. Everyone’s opinion should be just that, an opinion, it’s all advice in the end.
Uhhhh Yeah. Are Doctors not an elite group of individuals? Most of them are very proud of what they’ve accomplished, as they should.

Softhammer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy smokes this thing is still going. Solid proof of the micro ag getting out of hand in this world. Never ever would anyone have the stones to talk like this in person.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zerobytes

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I first joined I pretty much read everything. Over time I learned to master the ignore button, look for responses from 10-20 folks who obviously know what they are talking about and scroll through as fast as possible pages of pictures.

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After reading thread all I have to say is I am a noob and I really don't know much about what you are arguing about, but I am sure someone else will come along that does :):D :) :D

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 6 5.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 18 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 66 57.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 7.0%
Back