I still have ammonia!

I thought that the Dr Tims fishless cycle required ammonium chloride ie. instant ammonia. Something like a decaying shrimp would probably do it but flakes may take a while to decompose and start producing enough ammonia.
I wonder if your cycle was either delayed or made less effective by this.
Yes I’ve gone on to think that because I added the one and only and then waited 5 days for fish, the bacteria may have disappeared!
 
I thought that the Dr Tims fishless cycle required ammonium chloride ie. instant ammonia. Something like a decaying shrimp would probably do it but flakes may take a while to decompose and start producing enough ammonia.
I wonder if your cycle was either delayed or made less effective by this.
Without the measurement of ammonia consumption, we have no data on what happened, though the reported ammonia level, if correct, indicates the cycle might not have gone according to plan.
 
Thankyou appreciate the advice. The fish are very happy and eating very well. In your opinion should I keep the skimmer on or off with fish in the tank? Could that be slowing the process down having it on
The article I followed said turn off skimmers, and take out things like carbon ect. Just need water flow. However I did the fishless method
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH TYPE OF REEF CONTENT MOST OFTEN GETS YOU TO PARTICIPATE?

  • Daniel's daily polls. They're awesome! 😎

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • A real troubleshooting problem

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Build-thread or tank-update posts

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • Before-and-after progress photos

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Beginner questions

    Votes: 8 30.8%
  • Honest success or failure stories

    Votes: 6 23.1%
  • A post, update, or article from my favorite vendor

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Detailed how-to or educational discussions

    Votes: 9 34.6%
  • Tank tours and member showcases

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Local events, swaps, or meetups

    Votes: 5 19.2%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 4 15.4%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new