I still have ammonia!

bex90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So I started my tank 3 weeks ago and started off with Dr Tim’s one and only. 5 days later I added 2 clown fish, then a week later 2 hermit crabs. I’ve been testing waters every day to keep an eye. My ammonia has gone up to about 1.5 at the most. I dose Prime and Stability every morning to keep ammonia non toxic. Why is my ammonia not going down? I did a 20% water change Monday but still no change. What can I do to get ammonia and nitrites down to 0?

Icryhard

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cycle the tank? The bacteria should eat convert the ammonia to nitrite and the other bacteria should convert the nitrite to nitrate. From what I am reading you are chemically suppressing the ammonia and nitrite.

OP
OP
B

bex90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you cycle the tank? The bacteria should eat convert the ammonia to nitrite and the other bacteria should convert the nitrite to nitrate. From what I am reading you are chemically suppressing the ammonia and nitrite.
I’m doing a fish in cycle. The fish are happy and obviously producing the ammonia. I have nitrites and nitrates. I have been advised to do this method. Is it wrong?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone. So I started my tank 3 weeks ago and started off with Dr Tim’s one and only. 5 days later I added 2 clown fish, then a week later 2 hermit crabs. I’ve been testing waters every day to keep an eye. My ammonia has gone up to about 1.5 at the most. I dose Prime and Stability every morning to keep ammonia non toxic. Why is my ammonia not going down? I did a 20% water change Monday but still no change. What can I do to get ammonia and nitrites down to 0?
Sounds like your system is not cycled or just starting based on nitrite.

The pH not Prime or any other additive is probably keeping your fish alive. What is the pH?

OP
OP
B

bex90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ph is where it should be at about 8.4/8.6. I have nitrate does that mean that’s it is cycling it’s just doing it’s thing?

OP
OP
B

bex90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course.
ammonia - between 0.5-1
Nitrite- 1
Nitrate - 25
pH- 8
Salinity- 1.025

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask if you have live rock in your tank . Are u putting in any extra bacteria solution in since you started the cycle . I think your bacterial load is trying to catch up .

OP
OP
B

bex90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can I ask if you have live rock in your tank . Are u putting in any extra bacteria solution in since you started the cycle . I think your bacterial load is trying to catch up .
No live rock but I have live sand. I was worried about bringing hitch hikers to the tank. I’m dosing seachem stability daily as my bacteria

Nano_Man

Anemone L
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In every tank I cycle I use a bit of live rock gets thing going. I let it cycle and all readings are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0.10 .Then adding clean up crew for when the ugly stage comes . Then 3 weeks later I add one fish if I get a ammonia spike I put poly filter in my filter other people may use different methods to reduce ammonia there are plenty of them out there on the market. Tanks can take a long time to cycle some are faster ( live rock) if it was me and this is only my opinion . No more stocking feed little amount. And let it mature .And keep a eye on your fish at the top of the surface Rapid breathing . Hope this helps this is only my opinion and there are lots of well experienced reefer out there on r2r all the best with your tank . Keep doing your water tests .

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m doing a fish in cycle. The fish are happy and obviously producing the ammonia. I have nitrites and nitrates. I have been advised to do this method. Is it wrong?
It was argued that your cycling method kills fish. Although clowns are very hardy I know this for sure

OP
OP
B

bex90

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In every tank I cycle I use a bit of live rock gets thing going. I let it cycle and all readings are ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 0.10 .Then adding clean up crew for when the ugly stage comes . Then 3 weeks later I add one fish if I get a ammonia spike I put poly filter in my filter other people may use different methods to reduce ammonia there are plenty of them out there on the market. Tanks can take a long time to cycle some are faster ( live rock) if it was me and this is only my opinion . No more stocking feed little amount. And let it mature .And keep a eye on your fish at the top of the surface Rapid breathing . Hope this helps this is only my opinion and there are lots of well experienced reefer out there on r2r all the best with your tank . Keep doing your water tests .
Thankyou appreciate the advice. The fish are very happy and eating very well. In your opinion should I keep the skimmer on or off with fish in the tank? Could that be slowing the process down having it on

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bex

based on these forty pages would you believe your test kit:

your cycle is done because no bottle bac required three weeks in Dr Reefs 100 page analysis

and because no ammonia line from any cycling chart takes three weeks

and because no calibrated seneye has ever been posted showing ammonia control to take longer than five days, much less three weeks

and because daily you’re feeding your fish and they’re normal and the tank isn’t crashing

all cycles in that thread are like yours, it’s a false nh4 stall

post the reading of your actual ammonia kit so we can see the color, adulterants have been added it won’t be a valid color render

also post a pic of the tank so we can check for unspoken variables

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So ph is where it should be at about 8.4/8.6. I have nitrate does that mean that’s it is cycling it’s just doing it’s thing?
In the presence of nitrite colorimetric tests for nitrate is not possible.

If pH and ammonia measurements are correct, free ammonia is 0.1 ppm. That is an emergency, but with the caveat that meaduremenrs are correct.

If the ammonia measurement is correct, your system is not cycled.

TheBear78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just the bottle of Dr Tim’s one and only and some food flakes as advised
I thought that the Dr Tims fishless cycle required ammonium chloride ie. instant ammonia. Something like a decaying shrimp would probably do it but flakes may take a while to decompose and start producing enough ammonia.
I wonder if your cycle was either delayed or made less effective by this.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 104 75.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 10.9%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 5.8%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 3 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 1.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.5%
Back