OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eienna - As a solution seeker thanks alot for your brain storming and positive attitude to resolve the issue.

Latest update - working with a local company to acquire large amount of water and perform a large change. Thank you

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eienna - As a solution seeker thanks alot for your brain storming and positive attitude to resolve the issue.

Latest update - working with a local company to acquire large amount of water and perform a large change. Thank you
Good luck! Hopefully you can track down what the cause was so you have some piece of mind going forward.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However I am curious that we dont have a chemical way that will simply process the nitrates (only nitrates not a organic dosing - bacteria driven system) out through a reactor (for extreme cases like mine). I did end up reading a few papers last night where some metal catalyst used to break down the nitrates but it was published in1999 - I am intrigued and will research more.

HBtank

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
However I am curious that we dont have a chemical way that will simply process the nitrates (only nitrates not a organic dosing - bacteria driven system) out through a reactor (for extreme cases like mine). I did end up reading a few papers last night where some metal catalyst used to break down the nitrates but it was published in1999 - I am intrigued and will research more.
D52D889A-7A9B-48FC-A697-7E6EF0398CD8.gif

I am intrigued by the post-mortem analysis of the dip water for your monti, please share the results when you have them.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are no differing opinions on this in the science, and there really aren't any differing opinions on the science in climate change. And it really demonstrates your scientific illiteracy that you use that example.

There is the science, and then there are people like you regurgitating stuff they read in blogs, which is just stuff regurgitated from 30 year old manuals on keeping freshwater angelfish.

Your original claim was that 200ppm nitrate would kill all his fish in quick order. This claim has been demonstrated false.
Not according to others in the hobby but you seem to be an internet expert at everything so good luck to you. I posted differing opinions so that does not mean you are correct at all. Sorry but you don't own the hobby or the science and your opinion is just like #$$&@&&@. Everyone has one.

Of course this guy knows nothing so you should call him and talk about his illiteracy...lol

Nitrates can kill every fish and coral you have in your tank if they aren’t kept in check.

The good news is that keeping them in check requires patience and using several nitrate reducing tools that I cover in this episode of Mr. Saltwater Tank TV.

Please let me know what he says after you talk to Mr. Saltwater....thanks in advance.

and then there is this -

I really like the part where Randy says high nitrate is detrimental to the health of fish

But I will defer to your obvious expertise...lol

Last edited:

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got 2 problems with the stirred detritus theory;

Firstly I tried getting ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings from detritus in my old tank, nothing glowed.

Secondly, the amount needed in the bed to contaminate so much low nitrate water would need to be in the 10s of thousands of ppm. That's a lot that for some reason that doesn't get diffused into the water column.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In response to the comment about no chemical solution for nitrates, this is currently true. However, I've had good luck with Dr. Tim's Waste-Away bacterial product, and algae reactors (or well-lit chaeto refugiums) can be very helpful as well.

I agree, the whole thing's odd as heck. I do believe you said you were using Zeovit? Do any of their additives contain nitrate...? Generally I'd say nitrate gets high enough on a new tank on its own, so I'd hold off dosing that specific one for the time being if there is.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did someone pee in your tank? That's so extreme
ROFL - no except fish and inverts lol

Update

- just finished my 30 gallon + change.
- vaccumed the sand - sorry but since I have extreme option ready (90% water change and moved the most frags what the heck)
- changed geovit and up the amount from 1l to 2l
- cleaned up my skimmer and observing
- Dosing is turned on - I checked my dosing solution and it has 0 nitrates (brs ca only)
- dosed with coral snow due to a lot of pariculate moving around
- added another bio brick

next check in few hours to see if any impact.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested -

1. Nitrates down to 125, I used 1/5 dilution this time - Progress.

Update on dipped monitor frag coral - Dip it was dirty with bunch of larvae, and bristle worms. Did seem to have some flat worm on top but yet to confirm.

Another water change tomorrow.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested -

Update on dipped monitor frag coral - Dip it was dirty with bunch of larvae, and bristle worms. Did seem to have some flat worm on top but yet to confirm.

Just curious how nitrates got out of control. Do you test them weekly or every other week?

What size tank?

V A R I A N T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR?

My system has gone too far , approximately 250 gallon -

Nh3 - 0
no2 - 0
No3 - 239 - Checked with 3 different kits numerous times - including hanna, API all pointing above 200 number
Phosphate - 0.06

All other parameters are normal (Ph, Salinity, Alk, CA, Mg).
RODI water is pristine.
Switched over to using Zeovit method.

Do i have any other option but a 100% water change ? Roughly even 90% water change will bring me to 23.9.

Corals - no sign of stress all fluffy - SPS extending their polyps and LPS are good too. / fish are good and no sign of stress - but failure is certain only a matter of time.

20% water change was just day before yesterday.

HELP PLEASE.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tested -

Your numbers are totally wrong. You said your nitrates were 239?

You have a 250g system and you did a 30g water change which is 8%. If you take your original nitrates number of 239 and reduce it by 8% you certainly don't end up with 125.

Your testing is completely wrong most likely. You need an LFS to help you.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lavey - Not sure but I have few culprits

1) 3 weeks ago when my hanna LR started giving flashing 5 (after nice 3.1 reading) I ignored it - Thinking its just around the corner.
2) I have stirred up a lot of stuff that shouldn't have been
3) I have an external refugium which was turned off for few full days (how many I dunno) - This is why they say don't touch what's working
4) Euphylia dying
5) Some emerald crabs dying

Since water change was performed just last Sunday (around 10%) I am not sure.
Mass exodus of some bacteria / strange algae dying etc ?

From my fav from the thread which have been ruled out :

6) I peed in my sleep in my tank (but since there is 0 ammonia - less likely)
7) My cat drowned - No she was found pigging on the food this morning
8) I was accidentally dosing nitrate - Checked and it was BRS CA indeed
9) There was a dead fish floating with 239 written on it - Could be but then fish must still be in system

Overall - I have no clue but looks like something happened May be a bottle of KNO3 / Neo nitro - fell and dumped on my refugium which spread into the whole system) or god came and said "let there be nitrates".

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lavey - The system had been running since 239 reading (around 24 hours ago). Refuge and others (including Zeolite) must have consumed some nitrates.

Reading have been checked and I understand skepticism of reading being wrong (just because its so out of order) but I wish they were - morning LFS confirmed ~200. I have checked the same tank with 3 different kits and hanna with a new reagent - all readings were 200+. Since then:

Added Geo bricks (not sure how effective they were).
Refugium with full blasting light running 24x7
Dosed Carbon
And few more steps which are highlighted if you follow the thread
Last was water change followed by coral snow.

Same kit gave all satisfactory results to other systems (Mixing station, my second tank, and CA reagent and few more which I tested just for the heck of it) , I can see progression from 230+ --> around 190 this morning to 125 now.

And I guess now we can confirm that 200+ nitrate is not dangerous for saltwater fish (given 0 nitrites , 0 ammonia) and bunch of bacteria population with effective cycle.

Last edited:

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And I guess now we can confirm that 200+ nitrate is not dangerous for saltwater fish (given 0 nitrites , 0 ammonia) and bunch of bacteria population with effective cycle.
Correction: It's not immediately dangerous. Over time it would definitely reduce their disease resistance, at minimum. It won't kill them off in a few days (or possibly weeks), though.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 41 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 15 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 144 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 18 7.2%
Back