I think I am screwed - URGENT HELP PLEASE

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lavey - The system had been running since 239 reading (around 24 hours ago). Refuge and others (including Zeolite) must have consumed some nitrates.

Reading have been checked and I understand skepticism of reading being wrong (just because its so out of order) but I wish they were - morning LFS confirmed 200+. I have checked the same tank with 3 different kits and hanna with a new reagent - all readings were 200+. Since then:

Added Geo bricks (not sure how effective they were).
Refugium with full blasting light running 24x7
Dosed Carbon
And few more steps which are highlighted if you follow the thread
Last was water change followed by coral snow.

Same kit gave all satisfactory results to other systems (Mixing station, my second tank, and CA reagent and few more which I tested just for the heck of it) , I can see progression from 230+ --> around 190 this morning to 125 now.

And I guess now we can confirm that 200+ nitrate is not dangerous for saltwater fish (given 0 nitrites , 0 ammonia) and bunch of bacteria population with effective cycle.
All I can do is wish you the best of luck. Each tank is unique and you certainly prove that theory. I hope everything works out in your favor.

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My system has gone too far , approximately 250 gallon -

Nh3 - 0
no2 - 0
No3 - 239 - Checked with 3 different kits numerous times - including hanna, API all pointing above 200 number
Phosphate - 0.06

All other parameters are normal (Ph, Salinity, Alk, CA, Mg).
RODI water is pristine.
Switched over to using Zeovit method.

Do i have any other option but a 100% water change ? Roughly even 90% water change will bring me to 23.9.

Corals - no sign of stress all fluffy - SPS extending their polyps and LPS are good too. / fish are good and no sign of stress - but failure is certain only a matter of time.

20% water change was just day before yesterday.

HELP PLEASE.
I'm not a mathematician but diluting a water sample to 10% and taking a nitrate test does not infer the nitrates are also 10% of total value. I'm not 100% sure but sounds like bro science

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not a mathematician but diluting a water sample to 10% and taking a nitrate test does not infer the nitrates are also 10% of total value. I'm not 100% sure but sounds like bro science
True - but implicit condition is it was diluted with the 0 nitrate mix. In my case 1) reading with ro/do and second with fresh salt water mix so it will work - ppm is the concentration so it’s the concentration that you are calculating.

TangerineSpeedo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actuality, it is a pretty common methodology, especially since the nitrates are in a solution and not a mixture.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update -

1:5 dilution - todays nitrate reading are 165

My phosphates are high as well reading around .30 today.

Apparently it will take sometime for the additional geovit, bio block and other medias to start working. Will do my second water change today.

Second water change later today and a large one (upwards of 75%) on Friday.

ps: My system is a little dispersed, its a single sump with 3 tanks attached to it (150, 55 and a refuge 40G) with a lot and lot of rock in sump, refuge and 55 - so I am not surprised reading normalization taking sometime.

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
True - but implicit condition is it was diluted with the 0 nitrate mix. In my case 1) reading with ro/do and second with fresh salt water mix so it will work - ppm is the concentration so it’s the concentration that you are calculating.
Yes correct the solution you are testing. Math adds up .

Reef-_-Noob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a newbie so experience would come into play for this question, sorry to hijack, but would be useful to know.. would a % water change show an equal change in nitrates?

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@reef-noob - For a dead system - % water out and added would dilute the nitrate concentration linearly. However in a live system 1) Nitrates are being created (Fish are pooping, corals, inverts, etc) 2) Nitrates are being consumed (geovit, bio-bricks, rocks, skimmer, refugium with the aid of bacteria/plants via nitrogen cycle )

So it's not a linear relationship between the amount of water change to nitrate concentration.

However, I am sure I am not creating nitrates at such fast rates - which means it should be ideally linear however its not. In my case I changed 40 Gallons (lets say the upper end ) of water in a 220-gallon system and the effect is what should have been achieved by 30% water change (65 gallons).

The rest seems to be coming from sand bed cleaning + bio-bricks + running refugium 24x7 + cleaning skimmer (however haven't seen so much skimming though).

killer2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be diluting with a fresh batch of saltwater that is fully dissolved that is the same salinity as the water I am testing, specifically since the Hanna checker states its for marine applications.

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would be diluting with a fresh batch of saltwater that is fully dissolved that is the same salinity as the water I am testing, specifically since the Hanna checker states its for marine applications.
Shoot, that's a really good point. The kits won't work right with fresh (or, probably, brackish) water.

OP
OP
k2-

k2-

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mornings readings -

Current Nitrates - 87
Phosphates - 0

Looks like something in the system has started working (perhaps sand cleaning , water changes, bio bricks or refugium)
Everything else is same - Phosphates have bottomed out so not sure how far this will go.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back