I think i love tuxedo urchins

ying yang

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love tuxedo urchins,I did have 2 blue but went on holiday fir a week in December and came back to a conch dead and next day a urchin,then over next 2 weeks another conch and urchin.
Not entirely sure if it was because less feeding that I left my tank sitter to feed or my rocks not enough algae for some reason even though elevated nutrients .
Trying to get to bottom of it and let rocks mature more before getting a halloween urchin next as they such nice colours indeed ^_^
All over shrimps / snails doing ok.
Actually 2nd conch to die watched him going about his business then a large cleaner shrimp poking and stabbing him then 30 minutes later shrimp got huge piece of him and he coveted in nassarious snails,so even though he looked like he was doing ok,maybe he wasn't and shrimps/ cuc sensed it and ended him pffft

Blumy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are done, let me borrow them. No green algae but coralline is out of control. Everyone gets all excited by it, not me. Grows on everything, glass, pumps, snails…

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Urchins are fantastic and often overlooked and tux are my favorite. It’s not snails and crabs that do the majority of the algae removal along real reefs, it’s urchins.
I can’t disagree. Ive seen more cleanup production in 3 weeks of having my TU than I have with my cuc.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How big is yours? I wanted to get one, but I didn't want him to starve, or to strip my rocks of all the coraline. I've already got an 11 snail cleaning crew.
I have one in my 13.5g nano.

Didn't buy him, he just hitched in on a coral and one day he got big enough to notice. About the size of a golfball and wearing a zoa frag.

He just wanders around eating something, no idea what but doesn't look like it's starving. Shares the tank with a pair if clowns and a peppermint shrimp

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2 pages and no photos? Y'all slacking! Haha! JK But can we get some pics of these awesome urchins? Show 'em off!

jpark457

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pincushion and it’s def my kids favorite thing in the tank. Big enough for them to find but active and small enough to move and hide while doing a good job cleaning. I have wanted a tuxedo but havent seen one for sale locally and don’t want to deal w shipping.

rmorris_14

TWSS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling GHA for months. and the only reason why I haven't gotten one, is because of the coraline rumor. Mine has just started to spread a little and I don't want the urchin to eat it.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tuxedo Urchins are by far my favorite thing to add to a tank that isn't a fish or a euphylia. My 13.5 probably isn't large enough for one, so I haven't grabbed one. I'm planning on setting up a 60-90 and I'll probably have at least 1 of each color maybe 2 if I go with the 90.

And in programmer speak, tuxedo's wearing your corals is a feature, not a bug :p
I've had one in a tank full of hammers and nems in the past with no issues other than making sure things are fastened down. I've just started stocking a hammer and torch tank and want one for it. Have you had a problem mixing them? Thanks

Bato367

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a pincushion; his colors are fairly bland, but he is cool.

I wanted a tuxedo, but they didn't have any. My pincushion has eaten nearly all of my coraline, which I don't really like and I have a few tiny patches of GHA that it doesn't seem he has touched. Or maybe he has eaten some and that's why I only have a few tiny patches. The rocks definitely look clean though.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling GHA for months. and the only reason why I haven't gotten one, is because of the coraline rumor. Mine has just started to spread a little and I don't want the urchin to eat it.
I think they will go after GHA much more then coraline plus you can place them where you want them to work on specific areas in the tank. That's what ibdid.

Duncan62

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think they will go after GHA much more then coraline plus you can place them where you want them to work on specific areas in the tank. That's what ibdid.
My tuxedos have liked the glass more than the pincushion. Both are great. I think the pincushion is a worse coraline scraper. It's worth it to keep most algea under control.

OP
OP
Lavey29

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Strange, one urchin is MIA now. He was tearing it up this morning but now has disappeared. The other one hasn't done to much work at all today. Just laying around. Hope they don't think this is a free vacation or something.

Marlyreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my tuxedo urchin. He is a workhorse and he has a rather charming personality. 20220130_193348.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 16 18.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 3 3.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 13 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 46 53.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 9.3%
Back