OP
OP
whip1

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All Pomacanthidae are born female. Until they grow larger and either establish a pair, or become dominant, they stay female. Easiest way to pair angels, especially Centropyge, is to find an (obviously) smaller one than what you have. Both species are commonly seen in the trade so this wouldn't be an issue. You will want to QT well (as with all fish) and ensure they're acclimated to captivity and accepting the foods that you feed. There will undoubtably be some chasing and dominance establishing rituals ;), but if healthy and fat the new addition can take it and they'll likely pair off. Whenever I add new fish, or particularly trying to pair fish, I use an acclimation box in my main tank. This process is referred to as "socially acclimating" and allows the current residents view the new addition, but can't come into direct contact with them - good for both!
wow! awesome Thanks! I would love to pair the flame angel it is def one of my favorite fish:)

OP
OP
whip1

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, they're awesome. You could even do a harem ;) YouTube - Fish Tank.MOV
well you got me really excited! I love the idea.The flame angels will give lots of color and movement and thats exactly what I'm looking for:) I am going to order an acclimation box. ok so whats the best way to create a harem of say 5 fish?
would I want to get them all at the same time or acclimate one smaller angel at a time with my present larger one?or should I qt 4 small ones then introduce them using the acclimation box all at once?

Brad Syphus

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that they would be better off adding them all at once if your system can handle the additional bioload . And you would need a larger acclimation box. Good luck with this and we want to see pictures when you start.
I know when I started adding my angels, the newbies got harrassed quite a bit.

pitbullguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a majestic fro about 4 years. he was reef safe with sps but most lps were getting nipped. Not eatin but they eventually would not open.
I had a close connection to a to the soloman island collection facility and got one that was net caught. I have heard that alot of times these are poisoned and then caught so that is something to be careful of. Make sure it is healthy and come's from a reputable source to have the best chance.
Good Luck

OP
OP
whip1

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think that they would be better off adding them all at once if your system can handle the additional bioload . And you would need a larger acclimation box. Good luck with this and we want to see pictures when you start.
I know when I started adding my angels, the newbies got harrassed quite a bit.
I think it can handle the load I dont have any large fish all are pretty small and the tangs are 3-4 inches I have a 180 w/a 75 gallon sump/fuge this tank has been up about 7 weeks but I used all my cured rock and water from 3 other tanks I took down. I worry a lot about the newbies being harrassed it drives me nuts and I feel helpless so I will go slow:)
here's a pic
002-10-2.jpg

here's a pic right after it was setup it has went thru some change since like I added some nice sps's and 2 MP40 es on each end. this tank still seems empty even with 15 or so fish in it. I guess I need to have patience and let things fill in:)
012-10.jpg

Thanks for all the replies and help:)

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Brad.

Bring them all in at the same time. During the first week or so of QT keep them seperated with eggcrate to keep stress down while allowing them to easily feed (no competition). I would remove the eggcrate once they're eating well and are nice and fat. Treat for flukes and anything else after that you see fit. Add in the DT in a box for a week or so.

FWIW, I brought in the X-Large size acclimation box from www.4coral.com and it's awesome! Great prices, and it's 20" x 10" x 10"... nice and roomy.

OP
OP
whip1

whip1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Brad.

Bring them all in at the same time. During the first week or so of QT keep them seperated with eggcrate to keep stress down while allowing them to easily feed (no competition). I would remove the eggcrate once they're eating well and are nice and fat. Treat for flukes and anything else after that you see fit. Add in the DT in a box for a week or so.

FWIW, I brought in the X-Large size acclimation box from www.4coral.com and it's awesome! Great prices, and it's 20" x 10" x 10"... nice and roomy.
Ha! I just ordered the 20 x10 x10:)
you guys are awesome! thanks

SeaLifeDirect

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've always been a fan or Moorish Idols. Their inexpensive, elegant, and get along well with other fish. The only problem is getting them to accept food in the beginning.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back