I want more wrasse :)

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse have really captured my attention and would like to add a couple more to my 2 yr old sps aquarium.
I'm in the UK and unfortunately we're on full lockdown. My lfs's dont have many wrasse, so I need to mail order.

I currently have one peacock (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) who eats anything! So looking for compatible tank mates in a 75 gal.

I have some idea of what is compatible (reading other posts here). But it would be great if I could get some confirmation.

I like the Flashers, so I'm considering one of the following;
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Carpenters Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
Filamentous wrasse (Paracheilinius filamentosus)

Its difficult to appreciate the colour/behaviour by looking at online pictures, so would appreciate anyone that can give opinions on what you consider to be the most colourful/interesting of the three)

for the second addition I was thinking Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus). But also quite like the Pinkface Wrasse - Australian (Halichoeres melanurus)

They will all be bought from https://www.marineworldaquatics.co.uk which seems to have the best selection over here.

I'm open to all suggestions :)

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wrasse have really captured my attention and would like to add a couple more to my 2 yr old sps aquarium.
I'm in the UK and unfortunately we're on full lockdown. My lfs's dont have many wrasse, so I need to mail order.

I currently have one peacock (Macropharyngodon bipartitus) who eats anything! So looking for compatible tank mates in a 75 gal.

I have some idea of what is compatible (reading other posts here). But it would be great if I could get some confirmation.

I like the Flashers, so I'm considering one of the following;
McCosker's Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus mccoskeri)
Carpenters Flasher Wrasse (Paracheilinus carpenteri)
Filamentous wrasse (Paracheilinius filamentosus)

Its difficult to appreciate the colour/behaviour by looking at online pictures, so would appreciate anyone that can give opinions on what you consider to be the most colourful/interesting of the three)

for the second addition I was thinking Yellow Coris Wrasse (Halichoeres chrysus). But also quite like the Pinkface Wrasse - Australian (Halichoeres melanurus)

They will all be bought from https://www.marineworldaquatics.co.uk which seems to have the best selection over here.

I'm open to all suggestions :)
Names are different in the US and UK I'm noticing, but have you looked into any fairy wrasse? any wrasse will get along with leopards (unless there are two males)

OP
OP
nick9one1

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Names are different in the US and UK I'm noticing, but have you looked into any fairy wrasse? any wrasse will get along with leopards (unless there are two males)

thanks. Good to know Fairys will get along with the Leopard. I have a look whats available.

OP
OP
nick9one1

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done loads of reading and found some fantastic posts on here about Fairy and other wrasse compatibility.

I'd like to add 3 wrasses and have narrowed the Fairy down to one of the following, but finding it hard to decide exactly which one.

1612104433788.png

Last edited:

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done loads of reading and found some fantastic posts on here about Fairy and other wrasse compatibility.

I'd like to add 3 wrasses and have narrowed the Fairy down to one of the following, but finding it hard to decide exactly which one.

1612104433788.png
I would necessarily trust those websites. Are these the only wrasses you like? I can tell you what fish will be ok with eachother if you want to pitch some fish you liked.
Btw I’ve kept a Naoko fairy wrasse and a pintail wrasse with a leopard wrasse. Just at FYI that pintail wrasses get much bigger than you’d think and Naoko wrasses should be added last because they HATE new additions. Since I added the Naoko wrasse I haven’t dared get another fish

OP
OP
nick9one1

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I mainly got the information from this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/

So here's what I'm thinking;

I already have a Macropharyngodon bipartus -

"Blue Star Leopard Wrasse” or “African Leopard Wrasse”: Usually available, moderately priced. Two variants dependent upon collection region. One of the more popular and hardy species of the genus, but not for the beginner. Peaceful with other genera, use caution when mixing with the same genus.

1612115940105.png

I'd like a McCosker’s Flasher (or Carpenter’s Flasher, but I think the McCoskers is more colorful?)

P. mccoskeri “McCosker’s Flasher”: Commonly available, inexpensive. 1 filament on the dorsal fin. Red only appears on the anal fin (which is all red to a deep burgundy); the dorsal fin and tail have no red. Peaceful with other flashers and wrasses.
1612116186173.png

Then from the Halichoeres, either a Timor Wrasse or a Malanurus (undecided).
1612116166994.png
1612116170158.png

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I mainly got the information from this thread https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/all-about-reef-safe-wrasses-in-aquaria.28/

So here's what I'm thinking;

I already have a Macropharyngodon bipartus -

"Blue Star Leopard Wrasse” or “African Leopard Wrasse”: Usually available, moderately priced. Two variants dependent upon collection region. One of the more popular and hardy species of the genus, but not for the beginner. Peaceful with other genera, use caution when mixing with the same genus.

1612115940105.png

I'd like a McCosker’s Flasher (or Carpenter’s Flasher, but I think the McCoskers is more colorful?)

P. mccoskeri “McCosker’s Flasher”: Commonly available, inexpensive. 1 filament on the dorsal fin. Red only appears on the anal fin (which is all red to a deep burgundy); the dorsal fin and tail have no red. Peaceful with other flashers and wrasses.
1612116186173.png

Then from the Halichoeres, either a Timor Wrasse or a Malanurus (undecided).
1612116166994.png
1612116170158.png
Sounds good. If you’re set on a McCoskers or carpenters, I won’t give you any choices on flashers wrasses. As for a halichoeres wrasse, I love the melanarus. Extremely pretty fish. Are fairy wrasses out?

OP
OP
nick9one1

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other flashers my lfs has are Filamented (filamentosus), Eightline (octotaenia) and Diamond Tail (Attenuatus).

The diamond is very nice but a lot more expensive. Of the others I think the McCoskers is the best looking. Although now second guessing myself and looking at the Filamented again.

And no, I'd still like a fairy :)

EvanDeVita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only other flashers my lfs has are Filamented (filamentosus), Eightline (octotaenia) and Diamond Tail (Attenuatus).

The diamond is very nice but a lot more expensive. Of the others I think the McCoskers is the best looking. Although now second guessing myself and looking at the Filamented again.

And no, I'd still like a fairy :)
Ok good on the fairy wrasse... how much does your LFS charge for a diamond tail?
Remember you can wait for other wrasse to show up

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you‘re able to get a diamond tail flasher (P. attenuatus) I highly recommend it. So much personality and it‘ll be fine with your M. bipartitus. Here’s a pic of mine displaying for my rhomboid. 5522AB5B-D794-497D-BFB2-7DC02CE26128.jpeg

OP
OP
nick9one1

nick9one1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone :) I've decided to just get two for now (diamond tail and a melanurus). I'll get the Fairy at some point in the future.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider a Radiant wrasse, Halichoeres iridis, instead of a Melanrus. Diamond Tail is a very good choice, but it is a lot more expensive here in the US than other flasher wrasse. My Diamond tail is outgoing and is much bolder than other flashers in general. Also consider a Redsea Eightline Flasher. Very beautiful fish and a little larger than the normal Flasher
H. iridis is unique in coloration and perfectly suite for a reef tank. There is already an excellent picture of a Diamond tail wrasse in this thread. Below are pictures of my two wrasse I mentioned
H. iridis
radiantwrasse2021013101-jpg.2006930

P. octotaenia
EightlineFlasher2019061301.jpg

Back