IceCap 1K Gyre Flow Pump

Sjet

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this for my nuvo 20, this thing is way to strong for a nano. I tried every configuration but the flow was way to much no matter what I did. Examining the cage I notice how the intake ports were a lot larger then the exhaust port. So I swap Cage A and Cage B with each other. By swapping them, the intake ports becomes smaller and the exhaust ports larger. You take in a lot less water and have a gentler broader exhaust flow. Probably not the proper way to run things but for you nano owners it's something to try out.

balix

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
anyone tried to run the alternating gyre mode on the 1k?

I think to run it properly, additional parts of to be bought...Have to Run two of the same AA or BB propeller and cage.

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have problem about noise that they make?

First couple hours change the pump mode is dead silent and strong next day or late night I can even hear whirring sound from motor
I need to turn off and back again. Any solutions?

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone have problem about noise that they make?

First couple hours change the pump mode is dead silent and strong next day or late night I can even hear whirring sound from motor
I need to turn off and back again. Any solutions?

So as you see from the start of this thread mine is over a year old now and I haven’t had any noise issues. The only time I did was because my clarkii female was fanning sand into the pump and it would make noise like you described. I would have to take it apart and clean it very well. Had to remove it and use different pumps in that tank but still run the icecap in my 25 .

cojo8888

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I guess it takes more attention then mp10
I'm using both for my cycling tank had lot of detritus etc thanks for info!

Metal_Angler

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got this for my nuvo 20, this thing is way to strong for a nano. I tried every configuration but the flow was way to much no matter what I did. Examining the cage I notice how the intake ports were a lot larger then the exhaust port. So I swap Cage A and Cage B with each other. By swapping them, the intake ports becomes smaller and the exhaust ports larger. You take in a lot less water and have a gentler broader exhaust flow. Probably not the proper way to run things but for you nano owners it's something to try out.
Just did this on mine. Thanks for the tip!

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since the start of this thread I have tested mine in many ways in my 25 lagoon. I have to say the flow is still amazing after all this time. For those of you looking to get less flow take advantage of the end cap that allows you to use just one side. This worked great and allowed me to up the percentage of flow out .

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following… trying to get the hang of the controller, very frustrating so far. It seems way too strong at 10 to 20 % on my Nuvo 30l..

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you tried running it with just one side, turned down?
I haven't tried that yet...I might try what sjet said & trade the cases (So I swap Cage A and Cage B with each other. By swapping them, the intake ports becomes smaller and the exhaust ports larger.)

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or you can cap one end and run just one propeller. Honestly, I cannot imagine it is too much flow running that low in a 36”. IM 30L. I run mine maxing at 60% full size in a 27.5 inch long 45 gallon tank.

EDIT: I run mine vertical along the back wall. The top propeller is slightly turned more toward the rockwork.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, it was blowing so hard @10-20% the fish couldn’t swim!
But I had it turned when down last night and this morning when I hit the feed — it went off & the countdown from 10 minutes. I fed & walked away. Several hours later I went back and it wasn’t on. I checked the controller & it said 0. I tried to go back to my program but it wouldn’t work at all! I unplugged & replugged in still didn’t work.. Kept hitting other options & finally it started working again. Also when I had it unplugged I cleaned although I’ve only had it about a week and a half, it wasn’t dirty.
Anyhoo now when I started the same program the flow was a lot lower and now I have it up to 30% and think I will raise it even more. Much better!
It’s a bit harder in the 30l because it is not very deep so vertical would blow the sand big time.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m loving the switch from 2 vortech Mp10’s to one Icecap 1K gyre on my Sps dominant Red Sea max nano. Right now I have it vertical in the back corner. I also had it horizontal on one side of the glass. The flow is perfect in either orientation. The price is outstanding for what you get. I’m loving more and more that there is healthy competition between companies benefiting reefers. Ecotech prices are ridiculous and it just goes to show other products do just as good of a job at a very affordable price.

OP
OP
sheepdog76

sheepdog76

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m loving the switch from 2 vortech Mp10’s to one Icecap 1K gyre on my Sps dominant Red Sea max nano. Right now I have it vertical in the back corner. I also had it horizontal on one side of the glass. The flow is perfect in either orientation. The price is outstanding for what you get. I’m loving more and more that there is healthy competition between companies benefiting reefers. Ecotech prices are ridiculous and it just goes to show other products do just as good of a job at a very affordable price.
Since I originally I posted this thread I have got away from the 1k. Not that it is a bad pump at all in fact for nanos with sand it can easily be to much. As I have said before barebottom sps tank is perfect for these. The funny part is I have done the opposite of you and gone from the 1k to two mp10s. I find the mp’s give me a nice flow. I like the wave effect they will do. In my case I’m not so much worried about price though I get your point and it is great we have so many more options these days. As a side not I have had a few issues with my 1k but they have been temp issues and just needed new parts or cleaning.

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thanks for the feedback Sheep. While the Mp10’s had good flow, on a Max nano it started looking like a science project with all the pumps and wiring hanging off the tank. It took away from the sleek look of the tank which was my first motivation to switch. I hope the 1K stays trouble free and I have zero sand displacement at 40 percent random due to my rock scape. Right now it does the job at 1/5 the price. I may hold on to the 2 Mp10’s for a short while just to make sure this pump is reliable and my Sps are happy with it.

Last edited:

Nikita1981

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the feedback Sheep. While the Mp10’s had good flow, on a Max nano it started looking like a science project with all the pumps and wiring hanging off the tank. It took away from the sleek look of the tank which was my first motivation to switch. I hope the 1K stays trouble free and I have zero sand displacement at 40 percent random due to my rock scape. Right now it does the job at 1/5 the price. I may hold on to the 2 Mp10’s for a short while just to make sure this pump is reliable and my Sps are happy with it.
Can I ask what percentage you are running? I am thinking about putting one on my reefer nano too but it will be a slightly lps dominated tank so I need to know if I can turn it down enough.

jazzfisher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After having mine now for 6+ months, I really like it. I run it up to 40%. You can turn it all the way down to 10%. You have to adjust the cages to direct your flow so it works for your aquascape. I had two other powerheads on the other side of the tank but I have removed them and the 1k is all I need. (of course with the returns).

Naturalreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Can I ask what percentage you are running? I am thinking about putting one on my reefer nano too but it will be a slightly lps dominated tank so I need to know if I can turn it down enough.

20% in gyre mode has worked the best for my reefscape. Everything seems very happy with no dead spots.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.7%
Back