IceCap K1 Nano skimmer

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Does anyone here have experience with this skimmer?
I am planning to buy one for my Nuvo 20. Thanks!

smilinteddy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with it but someone is selling one in the selling forum if you are looking to maybe save some money.

ccerone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put one on my Nuvo 20 on Wednesday and it seems to be working very well. Low bio load tank but it pulled out 1 full cut in 2 days.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just put one on my Nuvo 20 on Wednesday and it seems to be working very well. Low bio load tank but it pulled out 1 full cut in 2 days.

Good to hear! Based on what I read, there's few mods that they did to fine tune, have you done anything? Thanks!

GatorScott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using this for about 4months on a biocube. I like it works good considering the space available if you’re keeping a stock lid.

Kevin3221

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this skimmer on my 25g lagoon it’s an excellent little skimmer! It took a couple of days to break in other than that it’s great!

sh@rkB@it

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add my experience to this thread for those on the fence about this skimmer. I bought mine at half the going price sold online because it was an open box, so it's virtually new. For the price I bought it for, it was a low risk buy.

I have it on my 6 week old IM 20 in the second chamber. Setup was pretty easy, just follow the directions and keep the water level between 6-9 inches. Mine sits close to 8 inches from the bottom of the skimmer which seems to work better than the lower level threshold. The directions said to close the gate valve until pea size bubbles come up to where the collection cup meets the body. I let it go for a day and had about 1 inch of moderately dark wet skimmate 24 hours later. On top of that, I had very little micro bubbles the first couple hours then non existent since. Pretty impressive.

As for noise, it's not dead quiet but it's not loud either. Most of the noise is from the air silencer. I played with taping some of the holes and that helps keep the noise level down a bit. Doing so does affect the amount air though but it's not too bad if you adjust the gate valve to compensate. Personally, I think noise is subjective. My office where the tank is located, is very quiet. But if your tank is in a living area that is more active, you may not even notice the noise and think the skimmer is dead quiet.

Overall, I'm impressed with the performance. It's doing what it's supposed to do. It's a relatively inexpensive nano skimmer so don't expect over the top quality. I don't see any issues with the quality though, seems like a solid skimmer so far. Time will tell though.

OP
OP
LetItReef

LetItReef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to add my experience to this thread for those on the fence about this skimmer. I bought mine at half the going price sold online because it was an open box, so it's virtually new. For the price I bought it for, it was a low risk buy.

I have it on my 6 week old IM 20 in the second chamber. Setup was pretty easy, just follow the directions and keep the water level between 6-9 inches. Mine sits close to 8 inches from the bottom of the skimmer which seems to work better than the lower level threshold. The directions said to close the gate valve until pea size bubbles come up to where the collection cup meets the body. I let it go for a day and had about 1 inch of moderately dark wet skimmate 24 hours later. On top of that, I had very little micro bubbles the first couple hours then non existent since. Pretty impressive.

As for noise, it's not dead quiet but it's not loud either. Most of the noise is from the air silencer. I played with taping some of the holes and that helps keep the noise level down a bit. Doing so does affect the amount air though but it's not too bad if you adjust the gate valve to compensate. Personally, I think noise is subjective. My office where the tank is located, is very quiet. But if your tank is in a living area that is more active, you may not even notice the noise and think the skimmer is dead quiet.

Overall, I'm impressed with the performance. It's doing what it's supposed to do. It's a relatively inexpensive nano skimmer so don't expect over the top quality. I don't see any issues with the quality though, seems like a solid skimmer so far. Time will tell though.

Thanks for your thorough input.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back