Ich (Cryptocaryon Irritans) Hypoxic dormancy

nomsmon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seems to be a lot of debate about whether rock work and/or substrate needs to be removed when letting a tank run fallow to treat Ich.

Based on research such as this it seems plausible that Ich could lay dormant in hypoxic areas of an aquarium (such as a deep sand bed).

Current research suggests that in the wild, Ich may even lay dormant for a large portion of the year; only becoming active when seasonal temperatures and oxygen levels are high enough.

Is a fallow treatment without removing rock and substrate essentially crossing our fingers and hoping for the best?

SaltyT

Wrasse obsessed!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't believe there's any need to worry that ich tomonts are laying dormant in deep sand beds. There are numerous accounts of people eradicating ich from their tanks by using a fallow period properly. The article was an interesting read. This is why open forums are so great.

Fábio Cruz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long without signs of the parasite on fishes to consider that there is no more in the system? I ask because it's been 6 months since my hepatus showed Ich spots or any signal.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 42 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 16 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 11.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 148 57.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 7.4%
Back