OP
OP
hippiefish1104

hippiefish1104

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a FOWLR tank set up for over six months all was good until I added a leopard puffer fish that introduced some type of parasite to my whole tank and killed every last fish off. Did a copper treatment and changed filter media and added one more fish then it died too. I have no idea what is killing all the fish I didn’t see spots like ich or velvet. Here is a picture of my emperor angelfish the night before it passed away [emoji25]. Whatever killed the fish took all the color out of them. Tested the parameters and nothing was out of the ordinary. Temperature 76 degrees.

ngoodermuth

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d put my money on velvet/ secondary infection. The infection happens at the hundreds of insertion sites, causing the blotchy appearance like on that angel.

Did you see any scratching, swimming into flow, rapid breathing, hiding/light sensitivity, etc?

Are there no fish left now? I would leave the tank fallow (fishless) for at least 6 weeks before trying again.

Also, there are some threads here on the risks/benefits of adopting a QT protocol moving forward. I usually suggest at least an observational QT, it helps the fish adapt to tank life and prepared foods before adding the stress of aggression/competition from other fish.

That way you can hopefully catch incoming parasites before they make it to your main display :(

I’m sorry for your troubles... I’ve been there. Is not fun.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 18 40.9%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 23 52.3%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back