ICH in My Display Tank

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fish doing? They should be mostly spot free at this point.
Any trouble maintaining the copper dose with all that rock and sand?

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How are the fish doing? They should be mostly spot free at this point.
Any trouble maintaining the copper dose with all that rock and sand?
They are doing great, almost spot free. I tested the copper yesterday it was like 1.97. I added couple of drops more and I will test it today again. They are very very active at this point where my puffer was miserable before. I can 100 percent tell the difference where they are healing eating active !

I was just scared that puffers would not tolerate copper.

BoneDoc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great to hear that. Once the levels have stabilized (within 0.05 for 3-4 days) you can test every other day.

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tempImageOABo94.jpg
tempImageX4y6pp.jpg
tempImagetpCff8.jpg
tempImageFN8m5H.jpg
tempImage4fz2Vb.jpg
tempImageETr87n.jpg
tempImageEhc4XK.jpg
tempImagefkHhVb.jpg
tempImagear6UsJ.jpg
tempImageJmZ99d.jpg
tempImagedeGr3O.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think? I still see some spots on the fins on puffer... Copper level is still around 2.00.
I still see spots, can't say if they are active trophonts, or just mucus. I would hold the copper for 30 days though, just in case....

Jay

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still see spots, can't say if they are active trophonts, or just mucus. I would hold the copper for 30 days though, just in case....

Jay
Yeap, that what I was trying to figure out. Trigger is completely with no white spots. Puffer has some few spots on the fins, I was like are those still ich or that is just normal. Yes I am still waiting. Got another fish, blue tang, currently in the qt tank. Only dosing melafix for him, I am watching him closely to see if he has any issues...

My next question for you would be; should I at some point, get him into the main tank with copper in it and maybe he can stay with copper, I don't know maybe week or 2 until I do a big main water change to get rid of the copper or should I just have him in the qt tank until I certainly feel like ich has been eradicated and get him in to the main tank when I remove/lower the copper levels?

What do you think?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeap, that what I was trying to figure out. Trigger is completely with no white spots. Puffer has some few spots on the fins, I was like are those still ich or that is just normal. Yes I am still waiting. Got another fish, blue tang, currently in the qt tank. Only dosing melafix for him, I am watching him closely to see if he has any issues...

My next question for you would be; should I at some point, get him into the main tank with copper in it and maybe he can stay with copper, I don't know maybe week or 2 until I do a big main water change to get rid of the copper or should I just have him in the qt tank until I certainly feel like ich has been eradicated and get him in to the main tank when I remove/lower the copper levels?

What do you think?
FYI - I’m not a big fan of using botanical extracts as disease treatments, they don’t have a good track record and there isn’t a lot of applied science to back them up.
Can you dose the tang with copper where it is and then move it into the other tank with copper for a week or two? Tangs get ich pretty easily, yet they tolerate copper well…..
Jay

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FYI - I’m not a big fan of using botanical extracts as disease treatments, they don’t have a good track record and there isn’t a lot of applied science to back them up.
Can you dose the tang with copper where it is and then move it into the other tank with copper for a week or two? Tangs get ich pretty easily, yet they tolerate copper well…..
Jay
I see white spots on him at the moment !! Omg !

i’ll upload a video…

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see white spots on him at the moment !! Omg !

i’ll upload a video…

look at him…

also what are those critters moving on the glass?

I wonder if my qt tank had ich in it since my eel was in there from the main display tank. But can’t remember exactly what i did i m thinking i did change the whole water before i put the eel back in, because puffer was in the qt tank as well i am confused.

i think if this is ich, tang is going back in to main display tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

look at him…

also what are those critters moving on the glass?

I wonder if my qt tank had ich in it since my eel was in there from the main display tank. But can’t remember exactly what i did i m thinking i did change the whole water before i put the eel back in, because puffer was in the qt tank as well i am confused.

i think if this is ich, tang is going back in to main display tank.

The critters on the glass are likely what we call "microfauna" - copepods and nematode worms. The common thought is - living on the glass instead of the fish? Not a parasite.

I looked close and I think I see some ich spots on the right side of the tang on its black stripe, but I can't be certain.

Jay

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The critters on the glass are likely what we call "microfauna" - copepods and nematode worms. The common thought is - living on the glass instead of the fish? Not a parasite.

I looked close and I think I see some ich spots on the right side of the tang on its black stripe, but I can't be certain.

Jay

Attachments

• CB557A18-B766-4429-A6A4-5A9CD99714CF.jpeg
    CB557A18-B766-4429-A6A4-5A9CD99714CF.jpeg
    111.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 1EF295BC-A405-4EB7-8E61-18149D99B121.jpeg
    1EF295BC-A405-4EB7-8E61-18149D99B121.jpeg
    102.7 KB · Views: 38
  • EA1FF011-609B-48F3-AEC4-1FA1E0308085.jpeg
    EA1FF011-609B-48F3-AEC4-1FA1E0308085.jpeg
    104.1 KB · Views: 40
  • B097DB4A-AFBE-4770-8D81-2142768AC343.jpeg
    B097DB4A-AFBE-4770-8D81-2142768AC343.jpeg
    109.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 8FB36E1D-4FBA-4D0A-8B19-DB8AA6E1E333.jpeg
    8FB36E1D-4FBA-4D0A-8B19-DB8AA6E1E333.jpeg
    110.4 KB · Views: 45
  • E17DD98B-0016-478B-B34C-33489EA0D859.jpeg
    E17DD98B-0016-478B-B34C-33489EA0D859.jpeg
    122 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think?

Ich? Are you saying i should dose it in the QT tank or should i move him to the main display tank where there is already copper in it while treating the other boys?

cpalminteri

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@nopurposejust4fun another vote for an oversized UV system.. i also struggled with ich, and as you know, once is in your system is very hard to erradicate.. and to avoid getting it again you need a QT tank, be very methodic with the quarantine proccess etc.. An oversized UV lamp connected to your return pump (with a very slow waterflow to make sure it KILLS the ich) changed it all for me. I know i have ich in the system. but it is hands down the best way i have found to manage it. I have 3 tangs in my reeftank and none of them ever showed a spot since i installed it and went through the last ich outbreak. For me this is an absolute must for a reef tank. It will save you a lot of dissapointments (and money) in the long run. And it will also help you keep unwanted algae in check, so it is a win win.

Good luck!
Do you have a picture for reference of what it looks like? Noob here

OP
OP
nopurposejust4fun

nopurposejust4fun

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you think?

Ich? Are you saying i should dose it in the QT tank or should i move him to the main display tank where there is already copper in it while treating the other boys?
I can’t wait no more. I am
Getting him to the main tank with copper in it… i am very stressing right now

Spardas

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why you'd go and get a new fish when you're still dealing with ridding your DT of ich.

Eels generally don't tolerate copper well and from personal experience, some made it out of treatment just fine and others stop eating completely and waste away after copper treatment...

You put the eel in your QT tank, so it is likely the ich came from it as you won't see ich infestation on the eel itself but it is usually hidden away in gills. So if you didn't do a thorough job of cleaning your QT tank after moving the eel out, then putting the blue tang in, that is likely how the blue tang got ich.

As far as treating everyone in your DT now, it is your call if you want to continue with copper treatment with the eel in the tank. It may or may not be fine afterwards, it is down to individual Eels. Personally, if this was strictly ich, I would've done hyposalinity since there is an eel in the tank as well.

But we've already crossed that bridge, so hopefully all your fishes will make it out of the copper treatment. And since you put the tang in on Tuesday, the clock reset back to 30 days in the DT.

ReefingInMadrid

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a picture for reference of what it looks like? Noob here

Yes, attached, but its easy. You connect to your return pump one of this UV Sterilizers making sure that your flow is adecuate (a slower flow kills more stuff) i run an 80w sterilizer from deltec and my return speed is at is lowest (i like slow flow through my sump to increase the water contact time with the skimmer and my algae reactor, so its perfect for me)

this is a link to my UV Sterilizer... you could run any brand, just make sure is powerful enough and that you adjust your flow so it actually kills the ich.

I can't recommend it enough. Its probably one of the best investments you could do, I woulndn't even consider setting up a reef tank without one.

Any other questions just ask! :)

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-03-25 at 12.57.32 PM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-03-25 at 12.57.32 PM.jpeg
    81 KB · Views: 31
  • descarga (10).jpg
    descarga (10).jpg
    8.3 KB · Views: 31

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 59 39.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.3%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.1%
Back